Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody like pelicans (birds)?
[cool][#0000ff]Just about time for the annual cutthroat slaughter by pelicans on the Strawberry River. Too bad Utah can't do what Idaho is doing...croaking some pelicans and harassing the survivors.[/#0000ff]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Idaho News[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Did you know Idaho has pelicans? Too many say F&G[/font][font "Times New Roman"]11:40 AM MDT on Tuesday, April 7, 2009[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Associated Press [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]BOISE - Department of Fish and Game officials want to more than halve the population of pelicans nesting in southern and eastern Idaho by 2013, to help boost sport fisheries and protect native Yellowstone cutthroat trout. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The agency is taking comment on its plan through May 5. It includes oiling eggs and shooting adult pelicans. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Pelicans at Lake Walcott on the Snake River increased from about 400 breeding birds in 2002 to more than 4,000 breeding birds last year. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Meanwhile, the Blackfoot Reservoir colony has increased from 1,400 breeding birds in 2002 to 2,400 breeding birds. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The agency's plan calls for reducing bird numbers by more than half, while maintaining a viable population. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Some anglers and Fish and Game managers complain birds eat too many sport fish; bird advocates say pelicans play an important role in the ecosystem and eat many non-sport fish, too. [/font]
[signature]
Taste like chicken!

In all fairness, the wild animals , all of them, have learned natures patterns and exploit them just like us. They know the cutts will run up to spawn, like us flocking to willard for crappie and the bears after salmon.
This is all a part of the big plan.
Those pelicans that are successful at getting some dinner will be the stronger and will more likely breed successfully, those who don't are out of the gene pool.

Idaho is dealing with 2 very specific places with specific problems. Maybe if 1/2 of Wolcott was not off limits there would not be such a big concentration. They created the problem with their "rufuge".
[signature]
I'm not bitter against them. They are a great bird to watch. If there was an area in ut where they went from 400 to 4000, i'd be concerned too.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have fished all over the country...fresh water and salt. I have always kinda enjoyed watching pelicans. They can cruise just a wingtip away from the water for long distances without flapping their wings. And they make some crazy kamikaze dives when feeding. Scared the heck out of me a couple of times when they did it and I was fishing quietly in my tube and not expecting that big splash.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pelicans are like illegal immigrants. They come into our fresh water venues and scarf up all the trout, when they are supposed to stay in the salt water zones and leave us mountain anglers alone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Guess I'm a bit peeved that between pelicans and cormorants they have wiped out a couple of prime minnow ponds. And I have watched them wipe out the cutts in a whole long stretch of Strawberry River by having some go upstream while others work downstream and gulp down all the trout in between. Amazing the size of a trout a pelican can choke down.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, you are wrong about tasting like chicken. I have found them somewhere between bald eagle and spotted owl. A bit fishy too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[fishin]Took my daughter fishing and she was upset. No one was catching fish but the pelicans. She didn't like that.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Must be the way you cooked them!

Not as fishy as Commerants.

Interesting thing, the Bald Eagles in Maine are feasting on baby Commerants to the point they maybe wiped out in Maine.

Come on UT Bald Eagles, help us out here.
[signature]
Pelicans? They bring in the babies I was told?
[signature]
O.K. so it's the Storks [laugh] LOL[laugh] to myself, No wonder I have step kids, my wife had it figured out. he-he
[signature]
I remember fishing Henry's Lake several years ago. I was on my Alpine pontoon, but I had broke my right leg. So while I had a cast, they put the walking stump on it so I couldn't get my waders on.
I bought a 12" by 24" waterproof duffle bag. So with a few small bungies, I was on the water.
I had to keep that leg out of the water and use a motor.
I was fishing over by Targee. Pelican refuge. They flew over head and hit every square inch of my pontoon, but I was clean....totally missed me!
[signature]
You sure those weren't seagulls?[Wink]
[signature]
TD has a valid point. The regs regarding some of these species are so ardous that even though they are raping hte resource, it is next to impossible to do anything to deal with it. Like geese on golf courses, bird around airports, commorants, and so on. Most agencies will do what they need to do and no more, but if you can't do anything, you can't manage the resource.
Seagulls with double chins.....LOL
[signature]
i had a comerant do that to me 3 years ago on my favorite trout stream..except he didnt miss..you ever take a bath in 40 degree watter..not a good trip..
[signature]
Thin 'em out. They screwed up the upper Green river and they [#0000ff]please no creative swear words [/#0000ff]up the Jefferson in Montana. Kill the big white fish eater's!
[signature]
I do agree they are neat to look at but they are a pain![blush]
[signature]