Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fished Carter a little while saturday evening
My son and I got out to the lake around 7:00pm . We started throwing crank to the shore and my sons second cast he caught a 19" walleye. Mean while I realized I had bought a new foot petal for my ele. troller and left it at home with the broken one so I sent my son back to the house (20 min. drive to 20 min. back) to get it. While he was gone I fished the south side of the lake and caught 4 17" walleyes in 40 minutes. He got back right at dark so we started trolling the dam1 till 11:20pm and only picked up one more 17" walleye. Sorry no picks.
[signature]
I just moved to Ft. Collins and look forward to getting there. What tackle do you use for walleye? What are the size limits?

Thanks.
[signature]
Carter is managed as a primarily C&R trophy walleye fishery. You are allowed to keep only 1 walleye between 16" and 20" Anything under 16" or over 20" must be released immediately. As a result, it has some great fish.

If you see anybody keeping undersized or oversized walleyes at Carter, please report them! That's why that fishery is so good.

Call the Larimer County Sheriff or Operation Game Thief. The call is toll-free within Colorado at 1-877-COLO-OGT, Verizon cell phone users can dial #OGT. It will help if you have descriptions of the vehicle/boat and the license number or boat registration number.

As for baits, your typical walleye cranks, jerkbaits, jigs and spoons all produce. The primary forage for the big eyes are kokanee salmon fry. The DOW stocks several hundred thousand a year in Carter.
[signature]
A buddy of mine went there this morning and caught one - released. Said he was going back tonight and invited me. Too many boxes to worry about unpacking, but we'll see.
[signature]