Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alturas Lake Fishing ?
Hello,

Im planning a trip to Alturas Lake in mid-June for a family reunion, and was wondering about the fly fishing in/around the lake. Ive been searching the IDFG site, and about a hundred other sites, but none really give me a feeling about the fishing at that location. It sounds like there are Rainbows in the lake...

I just wanted to hear from someone who may have fished the area, and had any suggestions... (Spots, gear, etc...)

Please either reply to this thread, or PM me if you have any tips.

Thanks !!!

Bob K.
Anchorage, AK
[signature]
alturis is one of my favorite lakes in the stanley basin, I have never fly fished it just a bait caster. I fish the inlet right about the ledge were it drops off. I wade out untel i can see it then back up a bit. There are huge bull trout in there. I mean huge. I know a guy that caught one 22 lb. There use to be alot of kokanee until they put the bull trout on the endaged species list now they get munched pretty good. I have never caught a rainbow out of there but they could be in there. If you are wanting to fly fish i suggest valley creek which flows right threw stanley its atifical lure only. I always use salmon eggs in the lake. The guy that caught the 22 lber swears by roe.
[signature]
It has been a few years and I have always fished out of a boat trolling but there are lots of rainbows! I also caught a few bulltrout as well, though not 22 lbs! Trolling spinners always caught fish for me.
[signature]
Ya i told him he was full of it when he told me. But he had the pics to back it up. He also caught a 31 inch squaw fish which he released. Not sure what the state record is but i am sure that would of beat it. My biggest in there was around 12 lb. But if you plan on fishing it from the inlet take your waders that water is as cold as any of the larger lakes in the stanley basin.
[signature]
I have fished it or the last 3 years and havve caught fish along either shore down towards the inlet out of my "toon". I like the south west side and have used streamers. the southeast side I havve caught mostly from a boat, trolling so a person should do well with again streamers.
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the responses !!!

I got my non-res license online yesterday, and will be looking forward to beating the water in June.

Bob K.
Anchorage, AK
[signature]
Bob,
How's the fishing at Alturas? Going up there this weekend. Catch any monsters?
[signature]
Sorry, I actually didn't get a chance to fish while I was there... [mad] A few others did get out and catch some smaller trout from the lake, but nothing really worth mentioning.

The Salmon River had a long stretch downstream from the Hatchery that I was eyeballing, and REALLY wanted to go throw some flies into, but just didnt have the time. That is where I would focus my efforts if I ever went back to the area.

Good luck !
[signature]