Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike are hitting !
I didn't have time to re-size the pics so here's the low down .
Pic 005 is just the truck and boat at the launch . I was the only one on the lake yesterday , how cool is that !

I started off with my arsenal of Dare Devil lures from Eppinger and believe it or not I didn't get any results other than a small hammer handle following a red and white up to the side of the boat .

Thats when I switched over to a diving plug similar to a Hot n' Tot that I bought at that discount sporting goods store in Pinconning , Northern Supply .
The plug was a Uncle Bucks or Uncle Joes or some general unknown relative name like that but man did it produce the slams .
Pic 006 is the first 20" northern of many that was landed . He had that $1.00 lure buried down his throat past the gills , Lure retrieval was pretty easy and the fish released unscaved .
Most of the pike were just around 20" so i tuned the lures bill to drop down another two feet , thats when the 24" plus northerns started making there selves known (pic 007 )
Just before I ran into the 16" smalley in pic 008 I had a monster pike follow the lure right up to the boat , he was well into the upper 30" range possibly pushing into the low 40" range . I'm kinda glad he didn't slam that lure I was using , combined with the 6# test mono wirh a 4" steel leader and the ultra-lite Berkley rod I was using I knew something would have bit the dust and it wouldn't have been that fish . I didn't have any fears with the reel , Shimano Stradic 2000 can take that type of beating and then some .

Anyway I had a blast yesterday on the lake and can't wait for the weekend to get here for some more fun on the open water .

Now anyone that posts a reply to this with their big fish caught from now till the end of the month (I'm going for the overall quality of the pic not the fishes size ) will have their pic judged and the winner will get a free lure from yours truly . Your on the honor system in this contest .

Entry deadline is the end of this month , BFT members only .
[signature]
great report, love the pike shots...

and thanks for the shot of the boat, you got her lookin sweet, I dont think you could have found a better motor for that out fit, Bet you get a lot of lookers on the water...[cool]

I can emagine what them other conoers are thinking when you go whippin by... [:p]
[signature]
are they spawning or just getting active..
[signature]
Spawn has been over for a few weeks . The weeds are just starting to grow so there is less cover right now and the water temps are pretty prime being in the high fifteys .
[signature]
she really moves on the water !
Wide open only the last 3' of the boat is in the water , she just skips across the lake .
Going to re-do the wood floor , I should have used a better grade of marine plywood .
[signature]
that means target the drop offs..i bet there hungry..
[signature]
Cought a few more over the weekend (see the "weekend pics " post .

They were hitting everything I tossed into the water [cool], after the first few pics the batterys in the camera died [frown] .
[signature]
i did get i big pike about 30 inches to grab a bluegill i was reeling in..grabed it right by shore so i got a good look at him..didnt have a chance of landing him on two pound test but i tried..i had no camerea
[signature]
The wife and I went out after work yesterday and gave the pike fishing a try .
The sky was slightly overcast and a breif ten minuite downpour had just blown threw our area so we wern't expecting fishing to be the greatest , and it wasen't . Two hammerhandels were landed both twenty inches or a little better but definatly not legal size.
This time I had left the camera on the seat in the truck .
We stayed out on the lake for four hours and made it home in time to watch the Wings game , 3 to 1 , whoo hooo !!!
Watching the game right now .
Go wings !!!!!
[signature]
have you heard? are they still doing that special hammer handle pike limit on specified lakes again this year? 18-20 inches....
[signature]
fishing been a bust all weekend..cought 4 decent blue gills sat..went today to catch chubs for pike fishing and they wouldnt even bite..i gave up and went home..i missed the game tonite whats the score..i say wings in 5..
[signature]
We are doing catch and release , that is unless we get the monster of the lake .
He did a number on a rapala a year or two ago and i've been looking for a rematch .
Plenty of goose on the northern end of the lake , maybe this fall I might pole it in for some of those sky-carp [cool] .
That end of the lake is pretty darn shallow even for my boat moter .
[signature]
I just realised nobody posted a pic ! Game over [frown] .
Well that just meens one thing , we do it again [cool] .
Keep reading the posts and one of them will have another contest buried in it somewhere on the Michigan boards .
[signature]