Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate when that happens
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Too often when I'm fishing a dry fly I get an unsolicited challenge for my fly. Birds that sweep across the water looking for bugs. My natural reaction is to pull the fly away from them. Has any one ever hooked a bird? Fishing off the piers in So Florida it was not uncommon for seagulls to catch one's bait in mid air. I hate when that happens.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I have to tangle with a few birds, but it was on conventional gear.
[signature]
I use to fish for carp with a peace of bread on a hook and hooked many of gulls. I had a muskrat grab a spinner with its paw a couple years ago you wanna talk about a fight!!
[signature]
ive never cought a seagull but i have cought alot of bats..you ever try to get a flying rat with teeth of your hook..its not easy!!
[signature]
okay, I think I have told this story here before but you asked for it.

A mallard hooked its self one time when it swam between me and my dry fly on the South Platte one time. The the thing freaked out when it realized it was caught. Flapping wings, splashing water nad shreaks. What a racket. I kept going up and down stream with it trying to figure out how to extracate us both. It finely broke loss and flew of. I kept thinking the game warden was going to come give me a ticket for something just any second.

okay, I think I have told this story here before but you asked for it.

One time while floating down the Gunnison River on a warm partly cloudly day in the summer I had been throwing a sofa pillow with a copper John next to the bank. But I had not gotten any attention in a while. So I lazily mentioned to my guide maybe I should change my fly. He did not say anything. A moment later a swallow dive bombs the river and grabs my sofa pillow off the water and flies away with it. When the bird is about 15 - 20 feet in the air and it senses the weight of the leader and the line it drops the fly. The fly hits the water and drifts maybe 5 feet. A rainbow smacks it hard. As I am fighting the fish the guide says " nah, I think that is the correct fly to have"
[signature]
I remember you telling the first story.. not the second one.. and that is the one that is a classic for sure..

MacFly
[signature]
I love the second story scruff.

I have been fishing a lake that the loons have been diving close to were i have been fishing and i keep thinking one of them is going to grab my spoon. Anyone ever heard a of one doing that?
[signature]
I've gone through the seagull and pelican thing----what salt-water fisherman hasn't?

But on a fly I've only ever caught one bird, a hell-diver (green grebe). But that was an accident, the duck didn't actually go for my fly.

Weirdest thing I ever caught on a fly---or maybe the other way around---was a dragon fly.

Brook
[signature]