Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventura Pier CA
Hey,

I am still pretty new on here and am just wanting to meet some new people. Also I wanted to let people know that I went to ventura pier in southern california last night and this morning. I caught a few perch and a bunch of smaller other fish.

I also love going crab fishing and I ended up catching about 10 legal crabs there. I am also wondering if anyone on here is also on twitter. I would love to follow some of the people on here.
[signature]
Nice report. Ventura Pier should start to get better soon as we are nearing the full moon cycle. I have done some of my best pier fishing during full moons.

I was going to start a Twitter as it is getting so popular in SoCal. I'll get back on that one.

Good luck and please feel free to share some reports on the Cali board as well. We are always glad to have reports from local members there.[cool]
[signature]
Ya i have been on twitter trying to find some people to talk to and share stories but there is no one on there.

But ya i will definitely keep everyone posted. I also am going to seattle in a week so I will tell everyone what I am catching. I Love to throw down some crab nets while I am fishing so I am hoping to catch some nice size crabs up there. I heard that they have very nice crab in seattle.
[signature]
be careful crab fishing in Washington ... they have very strict regulations. You will get some lobster in your crab net/rig also and release them as soon as you check your rig because without a license you are going to get a hefty fine for each lobster. In southern california its about 2,000$ per lobster, and since I moved from Spokane over 8 years ago I don't know the new regulations on the coast there now, it may be steeper.

Make sure you read up on the regulations before you go crabbing up there too. Snow crab come in close during the winter and you need a license for those too.

Just make sure you know before you go, you could get huge fines and lose all your fishing tackle if you break the rules.

word up.
[signature]
So you are saying I need more then the standard fishing license to catch lobster? I have a regular license but I dont know if that is good enough. I know it isnt lobster season any ways but I am curious.

Also, I will look up the guidelines in seattle. I need to be very careful though.
[signature]
From what I knew back when I lived there rock lobster is ok ... but if you get any snow or alaskan king in your net you have to release them unless you have a specific license for them. Same for Lobster. If you don't have a Lobster license and you get caught with one it's pretty harsh.

When I lived in La Jolla, CA there were about 5 of us that lived in a house there and shared rent so we could surf all the time and one of our bro's would go to sunset cliffs and dive for lobster because he made good (great) money off it. He got caught thought and it was not pretty.

Just giving you the word up to make sure you know the states regulations before you take any seafood on the west coast.
[signature]
Rock lobster is ok? Did you mean rock crab? I thought that there weren't that many lobster out in seattle.

But I am planning on going fishing a bit on the puget sound and in lake washington so I need to check the rules and regs for those areas.
[signature]
its a 2,000$ fine per lobster in california....

I think he should know that if he's fisherman.

Don't take the lobsters or commercial crabs in cali guys you know better.

I used to live in La Jolla and Venice beach and fished alot .. and had a roommate that dove for lobsters (illegally) and he finally got caught and got 1 year for only 20 lobsters..

It's not worth it...
[signature]
rock lobster is ok to take... its basically a crawdad that is in the sea....

any other lobster you need a license up there.

you need to know the difference... rock lobster is very small and almost resembles a crawfish .. only it might be 3 to 4 inches longer...

rock crabs are ok and even the local crabs you can take home in a small amount .. i think the limit is 12...

as long as they aren't snow crap or alaskan king crap...

ok? but check the new records. I haven't lived there in 9 years now. I'm giving you outdating information but good advice.
[signature]
Lobster out of season can be up to $10,000 since the last 20 years. Catching them on a hook and line can result in penalties of up to $25,000 per lobster if the judge is in a bad mood.

Lobster season ended in March so don't risk it. The Pacific Spiny Lobster is the only one legal to catch on the west coast while in season.

Some of the California King Crabs make there way up to Washington at times. They are legal there, in Oregon and in California. There is a year long season for them. You do need the standard fishing license with the ocean enhancement stamp to fish for them, even off the pier.

The $43 dollars and change is cheap insurance to getting caught without a license while fishing for them even off of a pier.[cool]
[signature]
So the spiny lobster is legal all year?
Do you know how big they have to be?
Also, the way you can tell they are the spiny lobster is from there antenna and no claws? Is that correct?

I want to catch some of these but i am afraid that i might think I have one but really I have one of the illegal ones.
[signature]
You need to do some more internet research about this before you end up in trouble, as far as I know there is only the spiny lobster on the west coast and the farthest they have ever made it north is san luis obispo, and they are out of season until october. Crab wise I have no idea, I'm sure you can get on Washington's state DFG site and find out all the state's reg's and license information, good luck
[signature]
Spiny Lobster is from the middle of October to middle of March. They need to be a minimum of 3 1/4 inches measured at the Carapice.

They are out of season right now in all of California. Crabs are all year long.

The Pacific Spiny Lobster have no claws. Only the Main Lobster have claws.
[signature]
I am on twitter now @zirgzirgulis try using http://fishtwits.com they filter all the tweets on twitter for just fishing and added some other cool functions
[signature]