Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crabbing and fishing in Ventura county
I am still pretty new on here and am just wanting to meet some new people. Also I wanted to let people know that I went to ventura pier in southern california last night and this morning. I caught a few perch and a bunch of smaller other fish.

I also love going crab fishing and I ended up catching about 10 legal crabs there. I am also wondering if anyone on here is also on twitter. I would love to follow some of the people on here.
Ventura Pier can be a lot of fun around the full moon cycle. Try fishing the hole in the end. I have caught several legal sized White Sea Bass from that hole. There have been hundreds of smaller ones too.

The Perch will hit pretty good out of there too. If you are lucky, you can fish the lower end of the pier and catch some of the Corbina too.

I don't have a Twitter yet but will set one up soon.

Thanks for the report and feel free to post more as you have them.[cool]
[signature]
I have seen many people fishing the hole but I also saw that a few people lost there lines because there are so many poles. Have you noticed that maybe some different fish bit on the end of the pier or is it pretty much the same?
[signature]
Also what bait do you use? I have been using anchovies but they weren't working as well as shrimp. Im just curious.
[signature]
The hole is best at night and only if the lights are working in there. Squid strips and shrimp are the better choice of baits. You can get mussel and razor clams at your local bait shop and you will be able to catch more of the Surf Perch from there.

If you are getting hung up on the pilings, then you need to increase your weight slightly or fish the hole when there are less people there.

I like to use 1/4 oz on outgoing tide and 1/2 oz on incoming tide. A dropper loop setup works best for the bait fishing. You can also throw small white plastics for the Sea Bass with a 1/4 to 3/8 oz lead head on them.

Curly tail grubs and 3 inch Blams or Fish Traps are good.[cool]
[signature]