Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pontiac lake bass tournament
Every Thursday night
John's reel shop off of pontiac lake.
Southwest end of the lake.
Pontiac lake rd.and fisk rd.
meeting for rules is at 5:15p.m.
blast off. 5:30 p.m. untill 9:30 on shore.
$20.00 a person.
Catch and released
5 fish limit
Min. size 14 inches
[signature]
Went there last night to try my luck.
WEll, We caught a lot of bass but every one of them was under 14 inches. There was 12 boats that showed up.
I didn't stick around for the results since we didn't have any fish to turn in. I fished this tournament last year about every other week and it is hit or miss. You may win with 5 lbs of fish or you will need 15 lbs. of fish. I have seen some nice 5 lbers turned in and and the next week no one has nothing bigger then 15 inchers.
[signature]
WHAT DO YOU WIN ?
[signature]
It depends on how many people show up.
It pays out 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place and the biggest bass. I have seen first place take over $300 and as low as $80.00. It based on how many boats show up.
[signature]
Well the rain scared alot of fisherman off for the tournament. There was only 6 boats that showed up. We caught a ton of 13 inchers. It wasn't till later in the night when I caught 2 nice keeper. We took second place with a total weight of 2.98 lbs. First place was a guy and his boy (about 10 years old) that caught 3 fish that weighted in at little over 5 lbs. Every one else only had one keeper. Hoping the weather will be a little better next week so more people will show up.
[signature]
congradulations on taking second. some times ya gotta take a win any way you can lol[Wink]

ask the guy the next time you are there if he would mind my showing up to take pictures.

I forgot what are the rules for the tourny, is it artificial only or is it open to live bait?
[signature]
Come on out. weighen is at 9:30 p.m. There is always a few peole that come out just for the weighen. I gave John, that owns the reel shop and runs the tournament a sticker(big fish tackel decal) There is no live bait allowed. Fake stuff only.
[signature]
cant make it out next week,

we can shoot for the following....
[signature]
congrats on second place !

i've been getting mostley 14- 15" bass below the dam both large and smallmouth . nothing like the 24 to 27 " like i used to get at flatrock in the spring . could never keep them thou , they were always there a week or two before the opener and gone the day before , just like the deer do after opening day .

i got a smallmouth 14" lastnight , used a 1/16 oz. splitshot , 2 lb. test line , 24" leadline and a circlehook with a dilly worm . i wasn't going for bass , i wanted some gills . i also cought a 12" black bullhead ( one fat hog ) , a ten inch yellow bullhead , and a 9 " flathead . the flathead was the skinniest cat i have ever seen , about 1/3 the body weight of the yellow bullhead .

i'm taking the flathead to the d.n.r. bioligist in roscommon ( gladwins d.n.r. d.n.r. post has been closed ) . this way i can find out if it's a true flathead , or a flathead bullhead . if it's a true flathead then i can hope that the bigones are in there too .

gonna try for some of the channel cats soon , locals brag about the 15lb'rs that are in the river up here .

good luck in thoes tourneys , sounds like great fun , can't wait to see the pics our resident bigfishtackle photographer ( davetclown ) will be taking .

you did hear that dave's a decorated flyfisherman didn't you ?

i'm trying my best to become one two , but a fish like his is going to be hard to match !
[signature]
I got to get me a a supply of now twisters for the tourny, I think I only need one more lunker to get the grand slam package from mepps... and how more fitting would it be to make a lunker bass my winning fish.... and pontiac lake is just the lake to make it happen.....
[signature]