Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flies on the top????
[blush]
Please don't freak I know that "bubble and fly" with spinning gear is not "real" fly fishing but its the best I can do right now. That said I tried it for the first time today and while I did land a nice 13" rainbow I was having a hell of a time keeping the flies on top of the water. I know my presentation is still very rough, (tips on that would help to if any one is familiar with the method) but when I did get the fly out on the water and floating when I would try and "work it" ya know not just let it sit and float but try to get it to look like a fly it would go under....... bummer.... Then once it does go under and get wet how do I get it dry enough to float again (I would blow real hard on it, must be a better way) Any tips that you guys think would help me out here.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi Jim - well that is one advantage of casting flies with a fly rod and that is a few false casts and the fly is dry. Anyhow - what you need to do is pick up some dry fly floatant. They come in gels, paste, sprays & crystals. Some require that you wait until the floatant dries to be effective. While some folks have even been know to use home remedies a small container will probably run a couple of bucks but they last for a long time. Personally I don't mind that my dry fly takes a little dip for it gives the fish a different look at one's offering. Good luck. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
>I know that "bubble and fly" with spinning gear is not "real" fly fishing <

That's nonsense, Jim. You're fishing with a fly, aintcha? That makes it fly fishing. Soon enough you'll be using a fly rod as well.

There are two things going on with your bubble fly. First, the reason the presentation is difficult, is because it's not "turning over." That means, in your case, that the bubble is leading the fly when you cast, so the fly lands badly. Try this. Make your cast, lightly cupping the reel with your off hand. Then, just before the bubble lands, check the line hard. This will make the bubble stop sudddenly. But the fly and leader will continue, and will land beyond the bubble in an upright, floating position.

Did you ever make a cast and have your bail close unexpectedly? Basically, what you're trying for is a controlled version of that effect.

This is, btw, exactly what happens when you cast a fly with a fly rod as well.

Second, dry flies are rare given extra movement. Keep in mind they represent aquatic insects that have just "hatched" and are sitting on the water drying their wings. Most attempts to provide movement to them will result in a drowned fly.

If you find that letting the fly just sit on the water, waiting for a fish, is boring, then I'd recommend going to a different type of fly, such as a nymph, streamer, or even a cast of wet flies.

Welcome to the world of fly fishing.

Brook
[signature]
Quote: Brook
>Second, dry flies are rare given extra movement. Keep in mind they represent aquatic insects that have just "hatched" and are sitting on the water drying their wings. Most attempts to provide movement to them will result in a drowned fly.
Brook

[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]True one doesn't work a dry fly, however I never like to miss an opportunity to attract a fish, so I while retrieving my line I do it in very small increments pausing as I go. This method has proven successful for me on a number of occasions. However, since I have never fished the bubble method, this might not work too well since the bubble would tend to create a wake causing an unnatural disturbance in the water near the fly.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
The use of a piece of that sham wow material can help wick the water out of a fly. A patch of Amadou which you can get at a fly shop will work. The application of floatant is best.

Put some of the liquid or paste floatant on your fingers oron a cloth and drag the line between your bubble and the fly will help the fly float also.

A very slow rotation of the crank will move the fly very slowly. A slight sudden movement or sudden stop in motion sometimes will entice a hit.

A dry fly over or next to weed beds can be quite effective.

Waiting for something to happen can get you to loose your attention a lot when you are letting a dry fly sit on the water.

Teaching kids to use a bubble and a fly with the fly being a woolly bugger or woolly worm or some other sinking nymph (gold ribbed hairs ear, pheasant tail nymph, zug bug) is a good technique. The hard thing for people is to crank slow enough. Nymphs tend to move slowly in the water. There are some that move in fast short pulses.

I forgot to say that many lakes and ponds have calibeatis nymphs so a pattern for them would be good too.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]You are right about the "slow" pace. Spin fishermen are hard pressed to retrieve their line slowly so it will take a bit on practice to get the nack of doing so.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
What we have failed to mention is that since you are cranking very very slowly you need to lightly (to moderately) pinch the line in front of the the reel so that there is tension on the line between your fingers and the spool. this will keep the line winding up smoothly, keeps the line against the tab inside a covered spin cast reel and prevents tangling of the line on the spool.
[signature]
oh, and using one of those clear oblong bubbles with the clear plastic tapered pin works will for this type of fishing. Put a little water inside the bubble and push the pin in to lock the water in the bubble.
[signature]