Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I'm New and I Need Advice
Hello Friends!

I just discovered this site after searching for "fishing help" keywords. Please excuse me if I do not post in the correct forum section.

Fishing is my new hobby. To start, here's what I am seeking. I like to fish for catfish and bass (large mouth/ white bass). I like to sit relax and wait for fish to bite. Fly fish for me will probably years from now until after I have learned everything about fishing; may not be everything but important things.

I am planning on visiting Bass Pro Shop later this afternoon and needed some suggestions.

My questions:

1. What are the most common used rods and reels for Catfish and bass fishing? (I like spinning reels)
2. Size and type of fishing line for catfish and bass? Lbs?
3. Size of sinkers?
4. Size of hooks to use? What brands or styles works best?
5. Lures/ baits for bass and catfish?
need more info before answering,..are you going to bottom fish for both..live bait is needed for bottom fishing you throw and retreive artificals..thats why i ask..the spinning rod would work for both..but the set ups would be different..so what would you do most..bait would be different to..
[signature]
hi lurtch, thanks for replying. Yes, bottom fish.
[signature]
any good bait holder hook will work..size4 to6..8 to 10 pound test..get a good slip sinker.. the weight depends on what your fishing..lake or river..also how much current the river has..1 and a half for the river..half ounce for a lake...thats averagerun swivil then 3 to 6 foot of line bellow swivil..put your slip sinker above the swivil..this will stop it from sliding down to the hook..crawlers or minnows will catch both..but catfish prefer different baits like chicken liver or cut bait..
[signature]
I'm making a note of this to take with me today. I'm shopping for rods and reels (1 for catfishing and 1 for bass). Though I'm not sure what brand or type of rods and reels to get yet. if you have any advice on this I greatly appreciate your time.

Thanks again for the great tips.
Not sure how deep you want to get into bass fishing, but you can spend some money in rods and reels. But every basser needs a med rod and a med. heavy rod for different styles. Med for treble hook baits and a heavy for single hook baits and lures. I'm partial to shimano for warrentys and good products.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply and advice. Eventually, I'll gradually moving into more bass fishing. Since I'm just a beginner I want to try bottom fishing for catfish and hopefully if lucky enough to catch bass.

Since I'm a budget here, I got two different poles. For the Bass, it is a medium size pole by Omni with the Sea Lion reel. I figure since I'm just a beginner I'll start with this. I am using a 30 lbs Spiderwire with a size 3 sinker. For the catfish pole, I am using an ugly stick about 7 ft with a 20 lbs spiderwire line and size 3 sinker.

Do you think the above should be feasible for someone like me? Thanks again for all the advices!
Look on the rod and it will say if it's a med action or med.heavy action. 30lb is alittle steep for bass. Try 10-12lb for that rod. Some guys use 30lb for pitching, but I don't think you want to do that at this time. I'm not a cat fisherman, but as long as the size fish you get fit the pole, use it. Good Luck.
[signature]
[quote gdn443]Look on the rod and it will say if it's a med action or med.heavy action. 30lb is alittle steep for bass. Try 10-12lb for that rod. Some guys use 30lb for pitching, but I don't think you want to do that at this time. I'm not a cat fisherman, but as long as the size fish you get fit the pole, use it. Good Luck.[/quote]

Great! Thanks!!! I actually have a role of 12 lbs line too. I'll switch to that and give it a shot! I really appreciate this. I'm learning!!!!
I also found this site when I was getting into catfishing, and with the help of these guys I was landing cats in no time.

I'll share my cat setup with you, in case you want to take a gander. It's really straight forward and easy to use.

I use 20lb line, and tie on a swivel with about 2 feet of line to spare. About 8-12" below the swivel, I tie on a 1 or 2 ounce teardrop sinker. I use a 2-4/0 hook on the sinker, and put a slip bobber on above the swivel and hook. The bobber just lets me know where my line is, and whether I have a fish. That's it. I cast it out, and pull a little bit so the sinker gets out of the mud, and the float returns to the surface.

Ususally, when I get a fish, the bobber will start running across the surface, among the other obvious signs (such as your pole doing a dance). I don't have to worry about setting the hook, because the cat takes it as it runs, and the hook lodges in it's lip, usually in the side of the mouth.

Give that a shot sometime if you want, it's always given me good results.

Now, as far as bass goes, I don't know what I'm talking about haha. I've yet to catch a bass in the river while I'm actually fishing for them. I got lucky and got a couple of little bitty stripers on my catfish rig, but my bait was nightcrawlers, so we know how that goes. lol.

Good luck bud!
[signature]
Great stuff Simp!!! Thanks... I'm a newbie so I am willing to learn and try new techniques. Thanks for sharing and I definitely will try this.

I am looking forward to coming back to this for advices.
All,

Thanks so much for your excellent advices. I've got to tell y'all about my fishing trips.

The first trip I didn't catch anything. But the 2 trip, I caught a 26" striper and a few catfishes.

I had 4 poles testing on 4 different lines, sinkers, hooks and etc,.

First pole; 7 ft, medium, ugly stick, using Ande 12lb line. Caught a huge striper and saw it above the water but loss it. Line broke. Probably due to my inexperience.

Second pole: An old 7 ft ugly stick given to me by a friend of mine. 14 lb Bass Pro Shops XPS Signature Series Fluorocarbon, size 2 sinker using Carolina rig. Caught a 26" striper. Also caught the catfishes.

My other rods got nothing. I put powerpro lines on them. Didn't have camera with so no pictures to share but next trip will share.

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful advices
[signature]
I found that garlic lake force worms work very good I wacky rig them and i just caught a 4.5 pound bass on it.
[signature]