Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need HELP catching BASS!
<br>I have been trying to fish this reservoir near my house and catch absolutely nothing but perch and sunfish! I am almost ready to throw in the towel with this place! I try live worms, rubber worms, scented worms, rubber salamanders, and spinner lures. I have no idea what the problem is!?!?! I have tried early in the morning and sun down.... I am also fishing from the bank of the reservoir... PLEASE HELP! I need to catch some BASS soon...<br><br><br>Thanks <br>Dan<br><br>
Dan,<br>Just a couple of random thoughts on your situation:<br>First of all, are you sure bass are in the reservoir? Sometimes we make assumptions that overlook the obvious.<br>Assuming bass are in there, what kind of structure is accessible? Rocky bottom? Old stream bed? Brush or stumps? Weed beds? 'Cause that's where you'll find the bass...especially in summer when the water heats up...sometimes it's tough to find easy access to the best structure but that's where you'll find the fish.<br>You mentioned bluegills & perch...if you are catching those, consider livelining some of the smaller ones...hook up beneath the dorsal fin or through the nose with maybe a 2/0 circle hook and toss those guys back out there & let them swim around...try that around dusk & see what happens...if those pan fish are in there be assured that bass are eating them and if you swim one around anywhere near where the bass congregate you'll likely get results...<br>good luck,<br><br><br><br>Jerry Vovcsko<br>Moderator: Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island Forums<br>
Only one other comment I can add to Jerry's informed response on this Itchy. <br><br>Assuming Bass are present, also try suspending the live bait under a float with a dropper line of 4-5 feet if your fishing near the bank - and at the times suggested -. <br><br>Burnin Thumbs!<br><br>Steve B <br>Moderator Lures/Baits Forum<br><A HREF="http://www.demonjigs.com" target="_new">http://www.demonjigs.com</A>
along with Jerry`s n da MJB`ers adivce here`s 1 my late Great Gramp`s used 2 tell me...."U ant holdin your mouth right"......<br> don`t throw that towel n yet!!.....don`t git discouraged....mayB try sum crankbait`s R rattletrap`s.....<br>member that goofy guy on da "WaterBoy"?..."U kin dew it".....<br>Bsafe!..........C-Ya!.............<br><br>
hey when all else fails i do like ChrisP does use a 1/2 oz. rattle trap smoke gray with black head works great,reel in fast bass like it that way ,....works for me ...good luck....<br><br>
Assuming there are bass in this reservoir, you didn't really mention the water clarity this reservoir has. If it is relatively clear or moderately clear, you can always try downsizing your lures to get those bass to bite. Right now, finnesse soft plastics are all the rage and they do work so you might try some of those tactics. Senkos work great. Also, if the reservoir is clear, try a lighter weight line. Sometimes dropping a line size can mean more fish. Just because you use smaller lures doesn't mean you won't catch big bass. I have caught a lot of bigger bass on panfish lures so be prepared for anything.<br><br>Secondly, you have to identify what period of activity (seasonal) the fish are in. Summer, Post Summer, Turnover? Depending on where you live, the seasonal factors are often the most overlooked.<br><br>Also, you said it was a reservoir. Do you have an idea of what classification of reservoir it falls under. (Flatland, Hill-land, Lowland, Plateau, Canyon, etc?) Bass move and behave differently in each of these reservoir types. Combine this info with seasonal characteristics, and you should get a good indication of where those bass are. <br><br>You might get a copy of In-Fishermans Largemouth Bass book and use it. There is a ton of very useful info in there and it will help you determine what reservoir class yours falls under and what seasonal patterns based on water temperature those bass are using.<br><br>You can use all the latest products, but none of them will help you catch fish where they aren't. To catch fish, you must first find or locate fish. Then, its usually a matter of presentation and success is yours for the taking.<br><br>Here's hoping you catch some bass from that reservoir. <br><br><br><br>keep those lines wet <br><br>Daniel C. Nielsen<br>http://www.nebraskafishing.com/index.html
hey itchy<br><br>did you ever catch any bass from that reservoir? Just thought I would ask to see how you came out.<br><br>keep those lines wet <br><br>Daniel C. Nielsen<br>http://www.nebraskafishing.com/index.html
Terminator has a great little in-line spinner in the 1/8 size, I have been very successful with this lure, give it a try!<br><br>kybasser<br>"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." ~Patrick F. McManus