Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LONG-TIME WILDLIFE MANAGER EARNS DOW LIFETIME AWARD
HOTCHKISS __ For more than 30 years Doug Homan has worked as an advocate for Colorado's wildlife--and there's nothing else he ever wanted to do more.

Homan, a district wildlife manager in the Hotchkiss area for the Colorado Division of Wildlife, was recently selected for a lifetime achievement award by the agency. His long list of accomplishments highlights the full spectrum of work performed by a dedicated Colorado wildlife manager.

"The variety of the job is what kept me going for all these years," Homan said.

Homan started working for the DOW in Denver in 1975 and then spent three years in Akron. In 1982 he moved to Hotchkiss to become the district wildlife manager for the area. He's been there ever since.

"I had a chance to move into other positions, but this job gives me a mix of duties things that I've always enjoyed. I'm involved in biology, education and law enforcement," Homan said.

The job of a district wildlife manager entails making basic biological assessments for the benefit of wildlife; working with landowners, the general public, other agencies and hunters; and providing instruction for school kids.

Working with landowners to reduce wildlife damage to agricultural crops has been a major part of Homan's job. Through the local Habitat Partnership Program, he's developed plans to protect agricultural areas. Projects involved putting up fences, studying movements of deer and elk, and developing habitat management plans. Other work has included: developing hunting management plans; reintroducing wild turkeys to the area; working on a variety of habitat improvement projects for deer, elk, Gunnison-sage grouse and other species; stocking and studying trout in the Gunnison Gorge and other area waters; and developing grant-funding requests for various projects.

One of Homan's major accomplishments is the establishment of a conservation easement of nearly 400 acres on land owned by local resident Casey Stengel. The property, operated by the Stengel family as a shooting range and as wildlife habitat, will eventually be owned by the DOW.

A top priority for Homan has always been working with young people. He's made hundreds of presentations about wildlife in schools in Hotchkiss and Crawford and regularly leads field trips for students.

"It's been very gratifying to work with kids--to show them eagles, let them catch lizards and tell them about ecology and wildlife," Homan said.

He's also worked to keep hunting tradition alive by organizing a youth pheasant hunt in the area each January for the last nine years.

J Wenum, area wildlife manager in the Gunnison area, nominated Homan for the award.

"Doug is dedicated to wildlife in Colorado. He's done everything a wildlife manager is supposed to do, from research to education, from resource management to law enforcement," Wenum said. "He truly deserves this award."

Doug Homan

For more information about Division of Wildlife go to: http://wildlife.state.co.us.