Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New float - info needed
I just ordered my first float tube and I'm so happy. No more fishing from shore!! I bought a brand new Creek Company ODC 420 . I went with this one because I got a great price on it, plus I've read good thinking about it.

What brand pump should I order, maybe Creek Company ODC Pump #916p $29.99? Does anyone here use their pump?
What about fins? Which one should I buy? I will be wearing waders, without boots. How about the Creek Company Repair Kit, should I order that to. Pack Straps?

Tell what I need to get it up and running and what brand do you like. I will be buying a flotation vest, just in case.

Many thank!!
[signature]
Get TDs float tubing book !!!!!!!!!!!
It will answer many and many of your questions.
just my 2 cents.

Peter
[signature]
Got TD's book. Excellent info! Just wanted to know what other people here use or prefer.
[signature]
cool-im glad that u got the book.
I have the force fins, which are great but $$$.The very
nice thing about them is that they are very well bilt and
you can walk forward (slowly).
breadeble waiters from cabelas on sale $100-good
staff.
pump-double action-the only way to go.
The best think to do is to get out there and you will
know what works for you.And just remember to have
a good time, because thats what it is all about.

Hope this helps a little

Peter
[signature]
[quote cigarleaf]I just ordered my first float tube and I'm so happy. No more fishing from shore!! I bought a brand new Creek Company ODC 420 . I went with this one because I got a great price on it, plus I've read good thinking about it.

What brand pump should I order, maybe Creek Company ODC Pump #916p $29.99? Does anyone here use their pump? I like to quick inflate with a low cost impeller type, then top off to proper pressure with any low cost hand pump available anywhere.

Impeller http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/di...zmap=97619

Gets on the water faster, just make sure you have the proper adapters.

Pon

What about fins? Which one should I buy? I will be wearing waders, without boots. How about the Creek Company Repair Kit, should I order that to. Pack Straps?

Tell what I need to get it up and running and what brand do you like. I will be buying a flotation vest, just in case.

Many thank!![/quote]
[signature]
I already have good breathable waders from cabelas. I'm going to order these wading boots - [url] = http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...hasJS=true

I'm looking at the force fin's on cabelas site and they do cost a bit. Are they the much better than the other ones that they sell? [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/subcategory/subcategory-index.jsp.10_A&_DAV=netcon&returnPage=&rid=&returnQueryString=&navAction=push&navCount=38&parentId=&id=cat20449&cmCat=netcon"]http://www.cabelas.com/...449&cmCat=netcon[/url]

I'm thinking of ordering the "Double Action Hand Pump" or a K-pump. Pontoonman I like that pump and the price is nice.[cool]

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, just let me know. This message board and TD's book have been a big help!
[signature]
well lets see-
wading boots-yes you should have some kinda booties
Im not sure about the ones with felt bottoms, you dont
need that for float tubing and in many states they
are not going to be legal onemore soon because
of the spred of snails and mussels and stuff like that.
just a pair of soft booties with rubber sole.

force fins-I got those and Im very happy with them.

Pump-k pump is nice but Im not sure about the $$$
All you need for FT is a nice double action pump.
It takes just couple of min. to pump up your FT.

PFD-yes, get one.In most states and places you
must have one on you or at least on your boat (FT).
I have infladeble PFD ($100) .Its so small and fits so
nice that I dont even know that I have it on or I just
folded in half and put it in back seat packet in my SFC,
that way I have it on my boat if the anyone ask me, which
they have couple of times.

Also If you want get a good fishing shirt (exofficio).
They work great in hot sunny weather on the water.
I use those and love it.

Hope this helps a little.

Peter
[signature]
I didn't know the problems with felt bottoms. I'll keep that in mind. When it comes to PDF's, there I'm not cutting corners. Mustang Auto/Manual inflatable vest, I can swim, but I'm not taking any chances.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Don't buy felt soled fly fishing wading booties. Too bulky and too costly. Not designed for tubing. All you need is the cheapest 2MM diving booties you can find, with a semi hard sole to protect your waders while walking on rough surfaces. Here is a good site to find both discounted fins and booties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.scuba.com/"]http://www.scuba.com/[/url]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And NO you do not need Force Fins. Any fins will propel you around on the water. But, once you get more familiar with the different options and properties of different fins, you can make a better decision. My guess is that if you tried Force Fins [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]alongside good diving fins you would choose the latter. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should not buy booties and fins without trying them on...with your waders and a couple of pairs of socks inside. You will need booties at least two to three sizes larger than your normal shoe size or you will not be able to get them over your waders. And, if you normally could get by with a L in fins, go for the XL. You can adjust the straps downward for a tighter fit when you are not wearing all your gear. But, you can't enlarge the foot pocket when you need to add layers for warmth. That will cause constriction and foot cramping...as well as cold feet even when you have plenty of warm layers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote cigarleaf]I didn't know the problems with felt bottoms. I'll keep that in mind. When it comes to PDF's, there I'm not cutting corners. Mustang Auto/Manual inflatable vest, I can swim, but I'm not taking any chances.[/quote]

Just watch out for the auto inflation.If you just happen
to fall in the water like at the boat ramp or drop
your PFD in water -it will inflate.But if you feel the need
for auto inflation then by all means go for it.
When I just have my PFD in back pocket it does
get wet, so auto is not good for me.............
But you got to make that choice yourself.
the most inportant think is to be safe and only you
know what makes you safer.
[signature]
Congrats on the ODC I bought one this year too and it is great. One thing I will say is buy a good double action pump. I tried the 10 coleman special form walmart by suggestion, and its boston attachment didn't fit the ODC. Just like TD said go to your local scuba shop if it exsists and get some booties. I was lucky and still had some from when I took a scuba class in college for PE credits and they work like a dream. Good luck and have fun shopping. For a PFD I use a mesh top form BPS got it for like 20$ it is really comfortable as I fish with mine on being a Newbie.

Bob
[signature]
I too have Force Fins and there is NO OTHER choice for me except the OMEGA flip ups.
They are expensive, do you need them, absolutely not. They just make finning a little easier, that is all.
I used the ones with a strap across the boot for many years.
Scubas can be found for allot less. They are longer and narrower than FF, so no trying to walk forward, which just takes training yourself.
In a tube you can lean back, straighten the legs and flutter your feet like a swimmer. You can move on both the up and down this way.
I fish from Pontoons, so I sit higher. I don't lean back, I scoop. Therefore Force Fins are the answer.
As far as FELT soles, they are an issue and COULD become out lawed. But I tell you, walking down mossy boat launches are sure easier with them LOL
As with all gear, clear it after every use. WADER, TUBE (COVER IS CLOTH).

I am an exception in that I do have a water skiing vest, but I don't wear it all the time. I only wear it on rivers or if the water is really ugly. I usually have it velcroed to the tube/toon within quick reach.
[signature]
My .02 cents on the fin thing: I use a pair of diving model FF that I had in storage and had not used for many years. I think I paid around $200 for them many years ago and, yes, they were expensive even then. However, when I started using my new H3 last year, I initially used a pair of Mares Avanti scuba fins and was miserable the whole trip. They tended to cramp and hurt my feet way too much. Next trip I used the FF and wow, what a difference! I personally will never use any other type of fin again. IF you want to go with the FF, then I'd suggest that you check on Ebay and local Craig's Lists to see if you can find a used pair for a reasonable price. You can always try some on at a local store to see what size and/or model you want to buy. Hope this info helps you.
[signature]
some people dont like force fins and that is because
of the price.
I use mine and love it.I have the ones that are made for
float tubing.($169.99).Im able to adjust the top and
back of the fins and they work great.Why buy some
cheap fins and not be happy.
But then again-whatever floats your float tube =)

Peter.
[signature]
I have been in a 420 since early this year. A lot of people do not like the cheap Wally World pumps because they don't fit the valve. I somewhat disagree. I do have to hold the hose end in the valve (until I figure out a way around it), but the pump fills the tube so fast that it's not the biggest hassle. I have been using a Ozark Trails dual action, I think it was about $15 at Wal Mart. I just happened to have it already, and it does the job.

Also, if you bought your tube online from Creek Company, you might have gotten emails about their Fantastic Fridays deal. Every Friday, they price 5 items at 75 percent off. I have seen their pump go on there twice, and thought about getting one both times (I think it brings the price to about $12). I bought the pack straps for like 2 bucks. They have also had a couple of models of their fins on sale.
[signature]
I'm happy for you and share your joy. I'm rigging my ODC 420 to take out for the first time this Saturday. It's my third float tube, though. Began with one meant for duck hunters to retrieve downed birds, then moved up to a U-boat a few years back. I use a dual-action pump and fins that slp on over wade boots. The manual pump works fast enough that I don't feel the need for an electric version. I never used a vest in my U-boat, but I'm strapping one on with the ODC, at least until I learn its ways -- then again I'm fishing calm water. Good thing about the ODC is that my Eagle Cuda fits in a front pouch and doesn't need to be officially mounted.
[signature]