Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek 6-6-09 FREE FISH DAY!!!
Took the wife and kids to DC saturday. We set up at the day use area right next to Charleston bridge hoping the kids could get into some perchlets and what not off the bank. nothing landed there [frown] but we did have quite a few bites. had the kids set up with some slurpies jigs and a slip bobber made of balsa wood tipped with crawler. they had a bunch of fun trying to set the hooks on the fish. I did have them casting out to the edge of the trees/bushes topping out of the water about 25 or 30 feet off shore. we had a group of windsurfers and para-boarders sharing the beach with us and i think that is what mainly killed the fish bite in that little area it was pretty good before they showed up and got in the water then the kids all went south and wanted to play so we just let them. the WIFE used her bobber and floating worm rig off a walking sinker and landed a bass about 4 inches long, and had a tussle with a 20+ pound carp that busted the line just as she was about to pull it onto dry land, she got mad and swore vengance and said next week she is buying a license so she can return for the rematch. in that area me and my two buddied had no luck with anything we tossed, but the men didnt start to fish until we had all the gurls(my wife and two daughters, my freinds wife and two daughters, and other buddies wife with no kids) set up and fishing and by then the "wave crew" was there with their sailboards and stuff.

then us men fixed up a shore lunch consisting of Grilled brats on the little charcoal BBQ we brought with us after we ate we males decided to go walk to the charleston bridge and fish for the bows at the inlet. water is about 3 feet under the bottom of the bridge and there is still snow in the hills above, sweet!! [Wink]

we covered the basics at the bridge, i used a crawler inflated to bounce around under current, one freind did power bait the other filled a hook with salon eggs(red balls o fire) was pretty slow for about 45 minutes, then I started to get bit. I ended up landing 4 trout(bows) all 2+ pounds but not more than 3, to fill my water rocket limit, ate two of them les than 30 minutes later for dinner and they were good. nice footballs. buddy using eggs got skunked, buddy using power bait caught one bow like mine.

good day all in all, no rain came, the W was light most of the day except when we tried to light the BBQ, but I dont think it got worse we were just trying to light a grill in the wind. water was warm near edges about knee height it took a dip in temp, I did not have a thermometer with me so i can not tell you temp but i guess around 55 at two feet deep no tingle in the feet but cold yes. all in all mission accomplished for gettin the family out for a nice day of recreation.

NO pics yet, but they will show up eventually i know the moms took some.
[signature]