Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing around Salt Lake City Utah
Hello all I am about to move from Delaware to Utah and would love to know if anyone has any links or anything at all i could look at read or just be told as to where is a good place to start in fly fishing in the Salt Lake City area. I have noticed that Geen River and Huntington Creek seem to be popular names any one with any insight would be great!! thanks a lot!!
[signature]
How many waters are available to you depends on what you actually consider the "Salt Lake City area". From downtown SLC you have 4 or 5 creeks you could fly fish within 5 minutes, maybe 10. The Green is about 3 hours from SLC. If you are willing to drive 3 hours from SLC, you have hundreds and hundreds of streams and lakes you could fish in.

The Green is one of the best tailwater fisheries in the world in my opinion. They estimate over 10,000 fish per mile in the first 7 miles of river from Flaming Gorge Dam down to Little Hole. It gets fished heavily 12 months out of the year, and absolutely pounded in the summer months. But there are fish to be had.

The Provo River is a great river to fish as well, but you'll have company for sure. The opportunities in Utah are almost limitless. When you get here send me a message and I'll point you in some directions.
[signature]
I answered this on the Fly Fishing Board, but I will post this here. Maybe spark some other feedback.
I live in Salt Lake. The Green is AWESOME! but also a 3+hour drive. One thing, if you don't already have one, a tube or toon are sure great. From S.L. you go an hour in any direction and you have a lake. There are even closer ones. Rivers/Creeks, about 5 minute to 45 minutes for the favorites which are Millcreek, Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon, Tibbel, American Fork, Upper, Middle, and Lower Provo, Weber, Ogden, etc.
And of course the JORDAN RIVER that runs right through town.

No Steelhead here but there is Koke.

Give a shout when you get here!

FG
[signature]
well i use to practice up on the little cottonwood creek west side of wasatch boulevard but the construction has taken out all my good fishing holes and the fish in there were getting big but due to rerouting of the creek they have shrunken in size and even some have died. but my point is get a little creek thats stacked with fish put in some practice then try out the weber get some of them 28 -30 inch browns
As long as something is pulling on your line right?
[signature]