Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bluegills on popper w/pic
Just a quick post- went fishing today, 3 bluegills, 1 bass.

Peter
[signature]
Looks like a good BG, good job. Ron
[signature]
[cool]Nice work.

Not to be picky, but the fish in the picture is a green sunfish...not a bluegill.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool]Nice work.

Not to be picky, but the fish in the picture is a green sunfish...not a bluegill.[/quote]

Blue/Green oh well. Its a sunfish on a popper.
But I tell you what- they sure fight hard.
Every time I get one
about 8'' or 9'' (which is big aroud here) I think
that I have a bass on.Some are so nice looking with
the blue on the head and orange bellies (males).
I took one home ones for the grill but the taste was not so good (tasted like a mud).
Anyways-thank you for the correction.

Peter.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I love fishing for all species of sunfish. It is always fun to catch them on a flyrod and topwater, but they hit subsurface flies too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The green sunfish have a larger mouth than bluegills and seem to be a bit more aggressive most of the time. They do not form large schools, like the bluegills, but are usually more solitary and set up their little areas that they defend against intrusion...including lures. They hit hard and fight well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All members of the sunfish family, including largemouth bass, can develop a weedy or muddy taste as the water warms and gets weedier. If they hang out in shallow warm water, that does not get any current running through it they tend to get more of an "off" taste. They are much better during the winter or early spring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know a lot of guys who have caught many species of fish...some very large...who still enjoy flinging flies or poppers for sunfish. I am one of them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

[#0000ff]All members of the sunfish family, including largemouth bass, can develop a weedy or muddy taste as the water warms and gets weedier. If they hang out in shallow warm water, that does not get any current running through it they tend to get more of an "off" taste. They are much better during the winter or early spring.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh I see !!!!!!!![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thats why, now it makes sence.I will try to[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]cook one again in WINTER mounts and see[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]what happens.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thank you TD[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Peter[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Something else occured to me too. That is the question of how you prepared the fish. Some people simply head, gut and scale the fish...leaving the skin on. The skin can contribute to the "off" taste. Try filleting and skinning them if you did not do that on your last batch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you did skin them, then soak them in milk for a couple of hours in the refrigerator (or overnight) to help soak out some of the objectionable taste.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those little buggers are good eating if you fix them right. And, they are usually so plentiful that you don't have to feel bad about keeping some for the table. No sense missing out on a good meal if it is just a matter of different preparation.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Something else occured to me too. That is the question of how you prepared the fish. Some people simply head, gut and scale the fish...leaving the skin on. The skin can contribute to the "off" taste. Try filleting and skinning them if you did not do that on your last batch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you did skin them, then soak them in milk for a couple of hours in the refrigerator (or overnight) to help soak out some of the objectionable taste.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those little buggers are good eating if you fix them right. And, they are usually so plentiful that you don't have to feel bad about keeping some for the table. No sense missing out on a good meal if it is just a matter of different preparation.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Ok, that may have something to do with that as well.
I did not skin the fish and no soaking in milk.
I will try to do that next time and see........
thank you TD
[signature]
Nice pictures Peter!! Thank you for sharing. Those little scrappers aren such a joy on a fly rod. ole giller
[signature]

[#000000]Yep that's true! We found that out one time fishing for the bluegills or breams as they call them in the south. One pond has those very big paper plates gills and they did tasted muddy (or moss as my wife calls it) from the pond being too warm.[/#000000]
[signature]
Certain times of the year...Trout also. They are what they eat[laugh]
[signature]
[quote peter805]

Blue/Green oh well. Its a sunfish on a popper.
But I tell you what- they sure fight hard.
Every time I get one
about 8'' or 9'' (which is big aroud here) I think
that I have a bass on.

Peter.[/quote]
They are a hoot. I love chasing them. My buddy once said, "Thank God they don't get to 3 lbs., cuz you would probably never land one".
[signature]