Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly rods on the float tube-help please.
So I been carring two fly rods with my on my tube.
One in holder and one in my hand, which is working
out good for my.However I would like to have 3 or 4
fly rods with me.
Im good with tools and making stuff out of nothing or
just raw materials , I just need a little idea.
Anyone?

Thank you
Peter.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Most of the rod racks you see posted on the board are ones that hold the rods vertically, or maybe back at an angle. If you have multiple fly rods, and want to keep them safely stored and out of the way, you might want to consider a horizontal frame rack as in the attached pictures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I came up with this concept several years ago and posted some pics of my different models. Others have since made their own versions. The idea is to have the rods pointing backward, laying flat, but easily accessible while remaining low profile to reduce the chance of catching your flyline while casting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I originally tried a flat rack...extending out flat from the tube. But, this tended to occasionally dip into the water. Using the 60 degree angle PVC connectors made for a rack that extended slightly up and out. Worked well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hopefully this will suggest something you can start with.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ok, ther are some good ideas.Horizontal is the way
to go for sure.
Thank you TD, you the man.[Wink]
[signature]
Only problem I see with that is bumping into something. I know Zonkers has fly rods on it, but the average rod is 9' long. That is allot sticking straight out, not to mention maybe coming in on a slope bank.

I would go with one of the vertical but kicked back holders made for Fly Rods. Make the opening tight and lockable as there is no butt on lighter fly rods.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Only problem I see with that is bumping into something. I know Zonkers has fly rods on it, but the average rod is 9' long. That is allot sticking straight out, not to mention maybe coming in on a slope bank.

I would go with one of the vertical but kicked back holders made for Fly Rods. Make the opening tight and lockable as there is no butt on lighter fly rods.[/quote]

Yes, coming in on a slope bank (like landing) maybe a
big problem. Take off is not a problem but coming
in maybe a problem for sure.
So maybe make it horizontal but under an angle so the
rods are higher in the back so they can clear the
shore bank on landing.
Im just thinking out loud.[laugh]
Thank you goddess
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]When I first came up with the idea it was for a specific application...open water fishing. I quickly realized that there would be the potential for damaging rods or hanging up in shoreline brush (or worse) if you did not pay attention to where your rod tips were when close to shore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no universal solution, but if you hold your rods upright while launching and beaching, you can fit them onto the slanted or horizontal holder as soon as you are away from potential hazards.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I didn't ever claim it was perfect...just another option.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And it is cool looking. Maybe on a pontoon.
Might be crazy Peter, but when I had my SFC and even my H3, the back is enclosed, I laid the rods in behind the seat sticking up out the back. The only problem there is they can get tangled when you have several.I am just saying, one in hand, one in your holder, and one behind the seat.
One floating, One slow sink and one fast sink.
[signature]
seeing Zonkers ride made me think of a post he did not long ago.. if I remember right he had a new and improved "rack" for his tube.. kind of an all in one set up that he slipped on top of the tube and secured it all from underneath .... seems to me he had done something different for his fly rods .... does anyone else remember this post??

MacFly
[signature]
hey sis.. I remember pics of that.. but.. I would think a small mod of some sort where you could two rod holders behind you would do the trick of keeping them from getting tangled dont ya think.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
The old man put his Scotty Tube rod holder on the tip of the "V" in the back. Due to the solid bottom that is the only opening in the back to attach one. So with that in mind, attach a board to the two strap plastic tube mount, then attach a couple of the rod holders to the wood.
I already have several of the holders, but they aren't cheap.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]When I first came up with the idea it was for a specific application...open water fishing. I quickly realized that there would be the potential for damaging rods or hanging up in shoreline brush (or worse) if you did not pay attention to where your rod tips were when close to shore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is no universal solution, but if you hold your rods upright while launching and beaching, you can fit them onto the slanted or horizontal holder as soon as you are away from potential hazards.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I didn't ever claim it was perfect...just another option.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Dont worry TD. Please dont take it the wrong way.We are just trying to figure this thing out.
We all value your input very much so please just
keep it caming.

Sincerely Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We could always hire a "caddy"...another tuber to carry a rack (golf bag) full of rods. That would give us an excuse to dress funnier and say more silly stuff. And, then there's the "19'th hole".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]We could always hire a "caddy"...another tuber to carry a rack (golf bag) full of rods. That would give us an excuse to dress funnier and say more silly stuff. And, then there's the "19'th hole".[/#0000ff][/quote]

Thats some funny $hit TD [Smile]
[signature]
hey...that is a great idea.... especially the 19th hole part.. [laugh]
[signature]
I know you prefer the rod holders similar to the ones pictured on Peters tube.. I was just thinking out loud on a way to incorporate two more maybe on the back.. again.. thinking out loud and that always gets me in trouble around the house.. LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
[quote macfly55]I know you prefer the rod holders similar to the ones pictured on Peters tube.. I was just thinking out loud on a way to incorporate two more maybe on the back.. again.. thinking out loud and that always gets me in trouble around the house.. LOL..

MacFly[/quote]

I was thinking about putting some on the back but
then my fly rods would stick out 9 feet past my tube
and Im just not sure about that.

Peter
[signature]
If you look close, you can see the rod and reel behind my old man.

[Image: TibbleApril2007004450.jpg]

The rod tip is up out of the way for pulling up to hills.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]If you look close, you can see the rod and reel behind my old man.

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/FlyGoddess/American%20Fork/TibbleApril2007004450.jpg[/IMG]"]http://i44.photobucket.com/...2007004450.jpg[/IMG][/url]

The rod tip is up out of the way for pulling up to hills.[/quote]

I see the rod in back, That would be one option.
Thank you for the picture.

Peter
[signature]
This is about the best idea I have seen for a Tube. But maybe stagger the rods

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Float...t_id=49525
[signature]
I like the design.
[signature]