Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Dud
[cool][#0000ff]Not a good day for BFTers on Yuba. TubeBabe and I met up with LloydE just before 7 AM at Painted Rocks. A fourth tuber, FishKillr didn't show. Turned out he blew a head gasket on the way down. Bad start.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fuzzyfisher and son Tommy made it down, with their boat. So did UtWalleye and his crew. Then everybody hit the water and went different directions. We might as well of just soaked a crawler from the bank.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp 63 at launch, and a bit murky. Warmed to 67 by 1 PM takeout. We all covered a LOT of water, fishing everything from big cranks for pike to small jigs for perch. Dragged some walleye rigs for those guys too, without any success. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kicked clear across the lake and worked the brushy areas on the other side. No pike and no nothing else. Finally had a couple of perch pecks. TubeBabe announced on the walkie talkie that she was also cultivating a skunk...and that LloydE was also fishless. So were a couple of boaters who slid by within chatting range.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was trying out a new sonar...a Humminbird 565. It showed me lots of fish, at all depths. But, most of them had puckered mouths, lots of scales and rhymed with tarp. Strangely, not even the buglemouths were biting. They have been a nuisance the past week, grabbing everything thrown or dragged for other species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally got into an area about 14 to 16 feet deep that had some "interesting" signals on the bottom. Might be something other than carp. Had a couple of taps, lost the worm from my jig, rebaited, sent it back down and BOINK. Scored a 9 inch perch. Thought I was on a pattern and would proceed to hammer them. WRONG. No more perch all day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did have one nice walleye a while later. Hit one of my new "jingle jigs". Just a bit over a rod length away from the net, it opened its mouth and did the patented walleye "lure return". Looked like about 4 or 5 pounds. But, I didn't care. NOT MUCH.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was it for me. TubeBabe brought her skunk to shore. LloydE managed one carp and a lost carpeye (a carp he claimed was a walleye). Fuzzy and Tommy cruised in to check on us before we got out. They had worked a large area of the lake too and had not even had one bite. I hope the afternoon was better for them than the morning was for all of us.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Purty weather. Only a light breeze. But, with cooler water from last week and the fish just getting a break after a series of fronts, everything was pretty tight. A few nice days and it should get better.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One note. The water level seems to be very low to me...for this time of year. Depths are at late summer levels already. All other lakes in Utah are spilling. Whats up with that?[/#0000ff]
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49866"][#63626b]LLOYD LAUNCHING.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (165 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49867"][#212126]TUBEBABE HEADED OUT.jpg[/#212126][/url] (247 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49868"][#212126]UTWALLEYE LAUNCHING.jpg[/#212126][/url] (187 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49869"][#212126]FUZZY & TOMMY.jpg[/#212126][/url] (256 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49870"][#212126]MORNING MIRROR.jpg[/#212126][/url] (163 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49871"][#212126]TD'S SKUNK REPELLENT.jpg[/#212126][/url] (207 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=49872"][#212126]DROPPING TOO FAST.jpg[/#212126][/url] (205 KB)
[signature]
Too bad about the fish not getting the memo about showing up this morning.[crazy]

If my boy wins his baseball game tonight I'll be down that way the rest of the week. Looks like we will head east to the hills instead of west. Easier with the family anyways.
[signature]
you guys made me feel better for me getting skunked last weekend. I am hoping to go to Salmon Dam this weekend I hope the skunk stayes on the shore. Ron
[signature]
when and where might you be going, if I might ask, be fun to meet you if the timig is right.
[signature]
Sorry to hear about the slow fishing.

What's up with the new Humminbird, didn't you just get a new Cuda? How did you like the Humminbird?
[signature]
I will let you know if I get to go. Ron
[signature]
Thanx for the report and great pictures TD.
Bad day of fishing is better then...............

Peter
[signature]
[quote swedishfish]Sorry to hear about the slow fishing.

What's up with the new Humminbird, didn't you just get a new Cuda? How did you like the Humminbird?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I have been using the Eagle Cudas for several years. For the most part they have been fine for most tubing needs. They show depth, temperature, bottom structure and fish. But, the one downside with all of their low wattage units is the tendency to show a lot of "false signals"...fish that ain't there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Cuda 300 is a fine "entry level" sonar, for newby tubers or folks that want to spend less to get to know a bit about using sonar. But, it does not provide the detail I want and need for many of the fishing trips I make...especially in identifying fish either in shallow water or on the bottom in deeper water. I think I am worthy of a better unit and I now know enough to take full advantage of the differences.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to make another trip or two with the Humminbird and then to post some pictures of the install and a review. But, as a starter:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. 2000 watts. More power for clearer target identification. Real time display. Small "flasher mode" on the right of the screen in addition to the LCD scroll display.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Dual beam transducer. The 20 degree beam is tighter and provides better detail of the bottom. The 60 degree cone provides a wider picture of the fish below and around you. Fish within the 20 degree cone display as solid black signals. Those outside the 20 degree cone...but inside the 60 degree cone...display as "outline" signals. COOL.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I need to modify my display mount for easier viewing. And, I need to fish a couple more waters with which I am familiar to judge the performance better. But, I was very impressed with the first run.[/#0000ff]
[signature]