Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Trout on Small Flies
[font "Arial"][size 2]Took the pontoon to the stillwater ponds at the Trout Club and caught 5 big trout (5/6 pounds). Got the first one the way I usually fish (big streamer) then decided to use small nymphs (#14). The last 4 fish all took the small stuff. Man did they fight! All of them bent the rod right into the water in an effort to get into the weeds.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2] [/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Switched over to [/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2]the warmwater reservoir about 5 minutes away to try and catch a few crappie fo dinner [/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2]just in time for a big thunderstorm. Headed to shore and waited out the storm under one of those wooden platforms. After the storm I didn’t get a touch in a couple of hours on the lake. Put the toon back on the Subaru and drove back to the club where I fished small flies from shore. Had a lot of action but I got broken off on 6 pound flouro 5 times. Frustrating but fun none the less. Lost the flies I wanted to duplicate though. [/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Any on else amazed by the fact that trout can be caught on outsized flies or on miniscule patterns.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]God Bless,[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Don[/size][/font]

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
All the time. I seldom use streamers, which is not to say I don't use streamers, I do, but also as an attractor.
The biggest fish I have caught have been on smaller (#12- #16) nymphs.
And lets not forget the 24" brown I caught in the fall on #22 and a 20" on a #32.

That sounds like a way cool pond there!
[signature]