Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROD RACK FOR 'TOONS
[cool]Earlier in the day, I promised to try to come up with a diagram for installing rod holders at the rear of a seat on pontoons. I originally had a design in mind, using a metal or wood angled contraption. I since came up with one that Mr. Scud could whip together and screw onto his existing wood platform...using only a few small pieces of 1"X2" wood.

If you don't already have a platform, I suggest making one out of 1"X6" wood, or heavy plastic. Then you make the simple frame, as I have crudely illustrated, and use the screw holes and screws provided with the 3 hole rod holder to put it together.

I also came up with the concept of fastening the crosspiece of wood to the fram with the low-profile broom handle clips available in most "big box" building supply stores or well stocked hardware stores. If your frame is about the same diameter as a broom handle, these clips will snap down over the frame and hold it plenty securely. Then, at the end of the trip, you can snap off the whole rig and pack it for the trip home.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2391493.jpg]

I hope my quick and dirty rendering is readable. I'll be happy to answer any questions or concerns.

I will be doing a separate pictorial on using these rod racks by next week. I have a 4 rod holder on the way, and I am going to experiment with using stretch cord to mount the transducer rod...so that it is easy to hook up and remove...and is less weight and protruding corners than broom clips.

The one thing I will be showing is that the slots in the commercial tubes need to be widened for spinning and baitcasting, and a small notch added in the opposite side, for trigger handles. I will also show that fly rods...even without fighting butts, can be safely stored in these tubes if you carefully widen and lengthen the slot to fit your reel.

Give you any ideas ES?

TubeDude
[signature]
Nice work TubeDude! Defenitely worth looking at. I figure I could make a custom rod holder, swage the ends, and add a slot, out of PVC. I really like your detatchable, yet sturdy design[Smile] For some reason the Lion King comes to mind when Simba says, "Slippery, yet satisfying..." as he swallows the grub[Tongue] I look forward to your eval of the 4 rod holder. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
You da man! I really like the idea of clipping onto the frame, I have been using zip ties. My particular model uses 1" tubing, so finding clips would be relatively simple, especially since I spend most of my spare time at Home Depot and Lowes lately. When inflated, there is some moderate pressure between the pontoon and frame, but I don't think a plastic clip would damage the bladder at all.

You have got my mind going now . . . I won't be able to work now at all.

ES
[signature]
[cool]Oh my. I hate to assume the responsibility for all that.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste...and the waist is a terrible thing to mind.

You know, I was also thinking that if one could not find a clip to fit the size of the frame tubing, one could even improvise with a short length of garden hose...slit along one side and screwed onto the wood on the other. It would be flexible, but sturdy enough to hold...and it would definitely not be harmful to the air chamber. I'm guessing a 3/4" to 1" would work. Heck, even that clear plastic vinyl tubing would probably do in a pinch.

Here's a couple of kinds of broom clips that I have used and will work...if they fit the frame.

[Image: hardware-hdpi278ava.jpg]

[Image: sa7.gif]
[signature]
What about a thinner section of PVC? Simply pry open the pvc and watch it snap into place over the frame. Removable, no pointy things sticking out, and a guy could buy the pvc in different diameters to fit their individual frames.

The more I think about it though, a thick hose would probably be sufficient because the pressure of the bladder against the frame would also help hold it in place.

Okay, enough dreaming, on with the experiments!

ES
[signature]
[cool]I love playing with PVC, and had considered it as a possibility. From past experience, however, I think you would have to keep cutting and working until you got it to fit just right. It is not nearly as resiliant and forgiving as stiff rubber hose...or a broom clip.
[signature]
PVC is great!!! my rod holder consists of two peices of 1 1/2" PVC screwed into a peice of plywood. the two PVC pipes are angled away from each other to eliminate any hang ups in the guides on the rods. it also makes it look like my tube is growing antenna. it looks cool

I think I am going to put a little tube in between the others for a net or a gaff or something along that idea.

joe
[signature]