Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River fishing what to look for?
What should a guy look for as far as habitat when scouting for a new catfishing spot. What should that bank have? What should the bottom have? I want to know what to look for. Ron
[signature]
Late evening to early morning look for deep areas and cover (over hangs, fallen trees, etc etc)
[signature]
Thanks! Ron
[signature]
in your bigger catfish rivers.i always fish were it curves or bends..garenteed to be the deepest part of the river..it works for me...
[signature]
Ask around and get to know the locals and where they catch them... lol

Look for that.

All the suggestions above are great but some of my largest cats (50lb to 100lb) were caught in places I never would have looked for a catfishing spot.

Secret spots. Theres a river close to me and fishermen catch 20 to 50lb blues there a lot so it's become like a local HOT SPOT... but I walked about half a mile down from the small waterbreak and found a creek leading off the river and walked it about 300 yards and it is very shallow, probably only 2 foot to 5 foot deep. I can go there and use anything, worms, blood bait, hotdogs, it doesn't matter and catch 50+ everyday. At least one 50+ pounder everytime I go there.

One day some guy bass fishing in a boat cruised up in the creek and ask me what I was fishing for so I said BREAM ... lol

Gotta love the secret spots.
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys. That is what I mean. Some guys can look at a chunk of the river and say, THAT spot looks like catfish stack in there. But what makes that spot so good? A stream coming into a main river brings in new oppertunity for the fish for oxygen and feed. I can see that. What other things say CATFISH!
I am going on a 5 mile float trip in my float tube this weekend in the snake river. I hope I can get into some good catfishing. Ron
[signature]