Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Inshore Report
Not a whole lot to report about as far as Catch 22 Riverfishing goes this week. Weather conditions have been a washout. Historically September is my slowest month business wise. It’s a combination of lack of snowbirds, kids back to school and the weather. September usually pounds us with tropical weather resulting in unfavorable fishing conditions. This coming Saturday I plan on attending the Florida Sportsman show and next week it’s off to Islamorada for some fishing. We plan on renting a boat on Saturday at Bud n Mary’s for a full day offshore. I try to make it to the Keys 3 times a year. Every February a bunch of us cruise down to Key West for a 3-day Dry Tortugas trip aboard the Yankee Capts. Last year one angler named Jerry put everyone to shame. This guy fished much lighter than the rest (30 lb) using live and dead pinfish that he caught prior to departure. He ended up with 26 muttons to 21 lbs and 17 black and gag grouper to 24 lbs. This year we plan on doing the same. Boat departs at 10pm so we plan on arriving in the area by 10am and loading up on pinfish. I talked to Jerry and he gets them around bridges using small gold hooks tipped with shrimp. Last year I was the only angler who stayed up the entire six-hour ride to the fishing grounds. You see, when I sleep, things tend to get a bit loud if you know what I mean. Prior to the trip I had visions of everyone throwing me overboard so I stayed awake. This plan worked well for everyone else but when it came time to fish, I was wiped out. This year I am bringing a box of earplugs for everybody. We have our stern reservations in already and looking forward to some great bottom fishing. I highly recommend this trip. They offer 2,3 and 4-day trips with affordable rates. They even have a meal plan for $24.00 that feeds you the entire trip. Check out their website @ www.yankeecapts.com.<br><br>In our area, lots of snook off the area bridges at night. A good buddy of mine we nicknamed “Bridge Billy” has been tearing them up as usual. This guy is truly dedicated and probably the top bridge banger in this area. There has been lots of oversized snook off the 25-cent bridge. The other morning I went down to my marina around 5:30am throwing out a few live grunts. These are my bait of choice if you are after the “big boys”. We’ve caught snook over 25 lbs using these grunts. That morning there were no snook due to near low tide but I managed to catch a nice 24” gag grouper. Trout fishing I hear has been really hot north of the Jensen Beach Causeway. Last Saturday, I was the guest on our area’s local fishing show “Treasure Coast Fishing Report” with Henry & Bill from the Snook Nook Baitshop. Bill stated an early morning bite and tons of trout last week. This area is anxiously awaiting the mullet to show up for their annual fall run. This is my favorite time of the year for fishing. So much bait in the water, all you need to do is keep your eyes open while running and you will find fish. From the bridges this time of year I throw topwater Rapalas, Mirrolures, Zara Spooks, and Rebel Windcheaters. Lower I use ¼ oz trollrites with soft rubber or live shrimp.<br><br>Sorry about lack of river reports but this time of year is slow. October we begin picking up and by December it’s a madhouse. I also want to express my deepest sympathy to the victims and families who have lost loved ones in the recent events. <br><br> Good fishing,<br><br> Capt. Bob Bushholz<br><br> http://www.catch22fish.com <br><br><br><br><br>