Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Canadian Friend
TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES <br><br> This, from a Canadian newspaper, no less, is worth sharing.<br> <br> America: The Good Neighbor. <br><br> Widespread but only partial news coverage was given <br> recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from <br> Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television <br> commentator. What follows is the full text of his <br> trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional <br> Record: <br><br> "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the <br> Americans as the most generous and possibly the least <br> appreciated people on all the earth. <br><br> Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and <br> Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the <br> Americans who poured in billions of dollars and <br> forgave other billions in debts. None of these <br> countries is today paying even the interest on its <br> remaining debts to the United States. <br><br> When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it <br> was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward <br> was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of <br> Paris. I was there. I saw it. <br><br> When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United <br> States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 <br> American communities were flattened by tornadoes. <br> Nobody helped. <br> <br> The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped <br> billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now <br> newspapers in those countries are writing about the <br> decadent, warmongering Americans. <br> <br> I'd like to see just one of those countries that is <br> gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar <br> build its own airplane. Does any other country in the <br> world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the <br> Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why <br> don't they fly them? Why do all the International <br> lines except Russia fly American Planes? <br> <br> Why does no other land on earth even consider putting <br> a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese <br> technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German <br> technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about <br> American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - <br> not once, but several times and safely home again. <br> <br> You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs <br> right in the store window for everybody to look at. <br> Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. <br> They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless <br> they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American <br> dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here. <br> <br> When the railways of France, Germany and India were <br> breaking down through age, it was the Americans who <br> rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the <br> New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an <br> old caboose. Both are still broke. <br> <br> I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to <br> the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me <br> even one time when someone else raced to the Americans <br> in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even <br> during the San Francisco earthquake. <br> <br> Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one <br> Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get <br> kicked around. They will come out of this thing with <br> their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled <br> to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating <br> over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one <br> of those." <br> <br> Stand proud, America<br><br><br><br><br>Famous last words: "Ah Bears are too big and fat to run fast"