Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smallest catch
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]More often than not people will ask what is the biggest fish that you ever caught, so to that end what is the smallest fish that you have ever caught? Mine was a cutt about 5-6" caught on a 6 wt rod using a # 16 royal wulff. My experience happened on the Teton above Driggs. I mean my fly was almost bigger than the catch. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
ive cought many diferrent fish as small as 2 inches..this would be a great pic..contest smallest fish wins the prize..just an idea..
[signature]
I've caught many dozens of 2 inch trout over the years but the smallest was a one inch snake river cutt on the very upper Gray's River in Wyoming. I think I caught it on a size 14 elk hair caddis if I recall correctly. I was up there this weekend but my smallest was 6 inches.
[signature]
Now my salmon record may be harder to break than the 1 inch cutt. I caught about a dozen 2 and 3 inch kokes one day on size 18 wd 40. That day actual turned out to be the day I caught the most 20 inch plus cutts on a river so I didn't feel too bad about catching the baby kokes. Those where the first salmon I'd ever caught.
[signature]
I actually caught a 2 inch sculpin on a bigger san juan worm in current creek. Also caught a whitefish that was about 3 inches in the madison river.
[signature]
Lots of juvenile whitefish and suckers from my ditch in Wyoming on #20 midges. Good practice before going on the lower SouthFork for browns. Before that, we used to catch tiny (3") brookies on the Slate River in Colo.
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Anyone ever catch a larger fish when reeling in one of those sardines?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
I have caught alot of fish in that 2-3 inch range but the ones that make me laught are the large mouth that hit a popper thats as long as they are. i would just like to know what there thinking.

As for the question above i have had 8 inch kokanie on in redfish lake and bang you get a huge hit and reel in the koke to find a big old bull trout trailing and the koke has teeth marks all over it.
[signature]
This is the smallest on da fly for me.

Peter
[signature]
they always say its alot harder to hook the little ones then the bigones...the big ones pretty much hook them selves..
[signature]
I don't know. Those little ones do pretty good themself.
I was fishing a river with a #12 hopper. Back cast and I see this thing go flying past me.
No picture cause I had to get it back in the water ASAP. 1 inch!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]It's too late for MacFly to post his smallest catch. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font][#008000][size 3][font "Comic Sans MS"][/font][/size][/#008000]
[/center]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] I mean one inch, now that has to be some sort of a record. Heck a # 12 hopper in itself would be a nice catch. lol[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
I found this picture:
Taken at the Provo with my 4 weight Lamiglass:

[Image: Provo003.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][inline SGR.JPG][Image: happy.gif]This is about the average catch size (5-6") caught on the San Gabriel River above PaSadena. I was using a 2 wt and would have used a 0 wt if one was available. Think the one that I caught on Teton was smaller.
Hey FGD is that an Orvis CFO?
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
why yes it is.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Have one too. They're a real [sic] nice reel. BTW those little wild dudes fight like their bigger siblings.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Actually, I have a couple of the English models also. This BRONZE looked good on the Yellow rod[laugh]
[signature]
ive done that with bluegills more times then i can count
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][.img][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img]This"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/.../happy.gif[/img]This[/url] is about the average catch size (5-6") caught on the San Gabriel River above PaSadena. I was using a 2 wt and would have used a 0 wt if one was available. Think the one that I caught on Teton was smaller.
Hey FGD is that an Orvis CFO?
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]

[/quote]

I fished the Santa Ynes river (pools) couple of days ago
and caught 2 dozen of sunfish about 2''-4'' class on my
5wt[Smile].
I would use 2wt or 3wt but I dont have one[Smile].
That little wild trout looks very nice.
Also I went for a hike with my wife yesterday to Santa
Paula creek and seen tons of those in 4'' to 8'' class.
I think I need to get some lite wt rod and go for it.

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Oh yes those Ultra Light swatters are really fun catching those tropical size fish. When I purchased my 2 wt I didn't want to spring for another reel so I used my 3 wt reel which is loaded with DT line. Don't need to cast long distances although 50' isn't a particular problem. The DT line is nice for roll casting those tight brooks and creeks.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]