Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Bass Fisherman Looking For Advice
So I just recently began fishing. After catching the first bass I realized that this was the sport fish for me. However, being a beginning fisherman, I do not have any lures. I was wondering what kind of lures you guys recommend for someone like me who is just starting out. I have no idea on any of the stuff that works good or doesn't work good. I realize lures can become pretty pricey, and I am also looking for something affordable. I will mostly be fishing in lakes. If there is any other information which you guys need, just let me know.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. Get out your checkbook if your getting serious.LOL Every area has there favorite lures and baits to make it successful. Stickbaits like yamamoto sencos are a good place to start. Here watermelon with black or red flake work well, where some guys need chartreuse color on the tail out west. [Doesn't work well here in the NE.] Buzzbait in black and one in white. Spinnerbait as well. A few crankbaits like rapalas, but you need to match the hatch so to speak. Heres a beginning but you'll want more as time goes on. Find out what the local boys are useing. Good fishing.
[signature]
Plastics
4 inch senko- Green, smoke.
Hula grub- Brown, Green
Powerworm- Brown, Green.
Roboworm- Brown Green.
Natural colors are always a great bet. Brighter colors seem to work better for stained water and smallmouths.

Hooks
size 2/0 Gamakatsu ewg offset hooks
size 1 Gamkatsu Octopus hooks

Weights
Some 1/16 and 1/8 oz bullet weights.
Some 1/8 and 1/4 oz spilt shots

The above items will catch fish in most situations. Learn to fish the texas rig, ( bullet weight, ewg hook, and a plastic) Drop shot, ( robo worm or senko, Octopus hook, and split shot sinker) and weightless is always great in shallow water ( Plastic and ewg hook) Do an internet search for these rigs and you should fine the info to put them together.

Topwater
Zara puppy
POP R
Fish these in calm situation with low light. Early morning or sunset.

Spinnerbaits
Strike king and booyah both make great spinnerbaits.
I like the spinnerbait in terrible weather. Wind, rain, clouds. Fishem slow or fast. Sometimes one is better than the other

Crankbaits can also be a good bet. I've seemed to have the best luck with these in the early season ( prespawn). Reel the lure to the max depth that pause for a couple seconds. If you don't get bit reel some more. Most bites happen when you pause.

The main thing with bass fishing is to fish where the fish are. Rocks, weedbeds, submerged trees, and points.

Good luck man.
[signature]
[url "../../../cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=scartinez"]scartinez[/url] pretty much covered them all but I think maybe you wanted to know what "few" lures to start out with as a beginner.

Get a few spinner baits, chartreuse, yellow, black, blue, white and red.

Get a few bass worm hooks and 1/4oz and 1/2oz bullet weights.

Buy some cheap plastic worm packs with Black, blue, watermelon, motor oil and purple, maybe purple with fire tail colored plastic worms of various lengths.

Buy a couple of crank baits. Shallow running to start with and only a couple. Probably a Balsa wood Tennessee shad and a Rapala Broken back Minnow.

That should be plenty for you start with and won't break your wallet. At first don't worry about the expensive stuff.

With the list above you should be able to catch some bass at any pond, lake, or river around your area "if they are striking that day".

One other suggestion is to read as much as possible about Bass fishing because it is different than any other type of fishing and each of the lures above have specific and unique techniques depending on the body of water your fishing and the weather conditions and time of year.

Good luck!
[signature]
One of the best pieces of advice I give to people who are new to fishing is to do your home work. Certain fishing lures and set ups will work better than others in certain conditions. If you can find a local fishing and tackle shop near where your fishing and the owner takes pride in keeping up with local lake info, they can be an excellent source of information. (Pay them back by giving them your business) Go online and see if there are any daily reports about who's catching what and where. Find out as much as you can about the lake you will be at. What is the water temperature, (very important) are there any streams or rivers that feed into it and if you can get any recent maps showing the bottom of the lake, you can make an educated guess on where the fish might be at any given time. Bass fishing is fun, not only because they are fighters but also because there is a lot of skill in trying to "out smart" them. Try to learn something new everytime you go fishing and you'll be surprised at how good you will get. Best of luck to you. Sincerely Kevin McClure
let me tell you the rules, there are no rules when it comes to fishing, only basics. i have been fishing over thirty years. start with zoom worms green pumkin,crankbaits strikeking red eye shad black chrome 1/4, = 1/2, oz.
[signature]