Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat question (updated ??)
please don't rip me apart for this one ..... [blush]

(update) on a slightly different thought ... how do you feel about a "sit on top" hard body kayak???? I posted on the kayak forum also but more eyes = more feed back = more knowledge. They are still in my (extended) price range, used, and look to have good "deck space" it I move my legs.
thanks

Have any of you fished from one of those $50 inflatable "row boats" ???? If so I am looking for feed back, tips, and warnings.

I found a new lake to fish near home but the shore fishing sucks ( I hear its good with a boat). I don't have the cash for a real fishing canoe or even a kick boat but I want to get out on the lake. I know that those inflatable row boats suck to row (I have been in them) but I am really hoping that I can just put in a little extra effort getting there and then enjoy fishing from my cheep inflatable limbo. Other then "don't pop it" or "watch those hooks" do you guys have and advice or warnings? Oh and buy the way the lake is not that big so it's not like waves will be a problem.

thanks
peace
[signature]
Rig up an anchor system so that you don't get blown around. Also if you don't like how the rubber raft works out try a float tube. They are cheaper than a pontoon and easier to use on small ponds. Also easier to maneuver with flippers. Hope your idea works out.
[signature]
Float tubes can be had for cheap, but, then there is waders and flippers.
I had one of those little inflatable rafts with the oars many years ago (got it free for something or other)
I tried it on a lake once. Wasn't great but wasn't terrible either and it did get me out to the fish.
They should have several chambers of air so if one did spring a leak you can still stay afloat.
Maybe rig up something that will save your gear in that event.
I can only say I used it one weekend. Seem strong enough if you practice a little carefulness with what you are doing.
[signature]

[quote jim202000]please don't rip me apart for this one ..... [blush]

Have any of you fished from one of those $50 inflatable "row boats" ???? Yes. If so I am looking for feed back, tips, and warnings. Mine didnt have check valves (plugs only) so it took special tools to inflate and then it went soft after a few hours. Fatigue after a couple of hours due to no back support and very limited movement on board, but I was not young at the time either. Also, no matter how careful, your feet will be marinating in muddy water, but maybe a towel would help that. Self launching was difficult because you have to get just deep enough so you can push off, yet not half fill the boat when you scramble aboard (if youve never done before). Oars were poor quality plastic and didn't propel very well.

I found a new lake to fish near home but the shore fishing sucks ( I hear its good with a boat). I don't have the cash for a real fishing canoe or even a kick boat but I want to get out on the lake. Maybe keep an eye out for used float tube or pontoon. I know that those inflatable row boats suck to row (I have been in them) but I am really hoping that I can just put in a little extra effort getting there and then enjoy fishing from my cheep inflatable limbo. The cheep will get you off the bank, but if your lake is unprotected from wind, you might not get back to where you started. You can go when the wind lies low like early or late day, and not stay out too long.

Pon

Other then "don't pop it" or "watch those hooks" do you guys have and advice or warnings? Oh and buy the way the lake is not that big so it's not like waves will be a problem.

thanks
peace[/quote]
[signature]
a man has to do what a man has to do.
But, those little "boats" are just not for what you
want to do. Yes, it will get you on the water with a
rod in your hand but it is not going to be a pleasure
ride.
I would NOT take my $500 rod and reel on that
thing, just in case of........................................
Just be carefull.

Peter
[signature]
thanks for the insight, that's the sort of feedback i was hoping for. i already knew "i could do it" but what you said was all stuff I had not thought of. Had I just bulldozed into it I would have been less then satisfied when I ended up blown into the shore weeds and my feet all pruned from the stinky sneaker soup they had be resting in. I think i will give this a little more consideration.

thanks
[signature]
Oh well, you asked if it could be done...I said yes, but That is JUST ME.[Smile]
But then I wasn't sitting in water let alone mud.
Personally, I wouldn't use it AGAIN but I wouldn't use a belly boat again either.
[signature]
I think a float tube or pontoon would be better for you than the rubber raft. I use both. I have a toon and a round tube that I use occasionally. I will probably use the belly boat less now that the kids are getting old enough to go out and flip around now.
[signature]
[quote jim202000]thanks for the insight, that's the sort of feedback i was hoping for. i already knew "i could do it" but what you said was all stuff I had not thought of. Had I just bulldozed into it I would have been less then satisfied when I ended up blown into the shore weeds and my feet all pruned from the stinky sneaker soup they had be resting in. I think i will give this a little more consideration.

thanks[/quote]
Just go ahead and get it. For $50 what do you have to loose? I doubt you really have to worry about "marinading your feet in mud". If the lake isn't that big it could be fun. This will give you an idea if you want to eventually get a tube or kickboat or even a canoe or kayak.
[signature]

[/quote]
Just go ahead and get it. For $50 what do you have to loose? I doubt you really have to worry about "marinading your feet in mud". If the lake isn't that big it could be fun. This will give you an idea if you want to eventually get a tube or kickboat or even a canoe or kayak.[/quote]

The only thing is you can get a cheap model of a float tube by creek co for about $50 at sportsmans warehouse right now if there is one close to you. Also either basspro or cabelas has a niceer one for about 64-69 right now too online. I know because my wife wants me to get her a new one so that we have enough for the whole family. I am leaning toward a U or V for her and round for the kids.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]

[/quote]
Just go ahead and get it. For $50 what do you have to loose? I doubt you really have to worry about "marinading your feet in mud". If the lake isn't that big it could be fun. This will give you an idea if you want to eventually get a tube or kickboat or even a canoe or kayak.[/quote]

The only thing is you can get a cheap model of a float tube by creek co for about $50 at sportsmans warehouse right now if there is one close to you. Also either basspro or cabelas has a niceer one for about 64-69 right now too online. I know because my wife wants me to get her a new one so that we have enough for the whole family. I am leaning toward a U or V for her and round for the kids.[/quote]
Good idea, but does the guy have waders etc.?
[signature]
Mojorizing- That eyeball in the hole, is that
a gloryhole? Just asking.
[signature]
well for the related part .... no I don"t have waders and the such (that is why a $50 kick boat is still too much)

oh the unrelated note (because it has already gone there) I would hope the above posted question is answered no but either way "watch that eye"!

back to the proper side of things i am thinking of asking the fam for a hard body "sit on top" style kayak, they are the cheapest sort and seem like they would lend them selves well to fishing ( a lot of open space on the "deck" to work on) any one object to that thought ??

peace
[signature]
[quote jim202000]well for the related part .... no I don"t have waders and the such (that is why a $50 kick boat is still too much)

oh the unrelated note (because it has already gone there) I would hope the above posted question is answered no but either way "watch that eye"!

back to the proper side of things i am thinking of asking the fam for a hard body "sit on top" style kayak, they are the cheapest sort and seem like they would lend them selves well to fishing ( a lot of open space on the "deck" to work on) any one object to that thought ??

peace[/quote]
Lot's of people use kayaks. Again, if that's what you want, go for it and get a pfd to go along with it and a good paddle and anchor (or 2).
You'll find in this place, people who have tubes will recommend tubes. People who have kickboats will recommend kickboats. Same goes for the ones that own canoes, kayaks, jon boats etc. Get yourself something that makes your fishing fun. If you're not sure if you'll like a tube, toon, kayak, canoe, buy a used one first. That way you're not out a lot of scratch.
As for the eyeball- use your imagination. It's funner that way.
[signature]
[quote jim202000]well for the related part .... no I don"t have waders and the such (that is why a $50 kick boat is still too much) More low cost ideas: Use a ski boat tow behind- tubes, rafts etc or one of the tubes that kids use to float the rivers with a paddle. Rent a tube or toon from fly shop. Make your own- more than 25 years ago I used 1/2" threaded rod, a sand chair and discarded pieces from a dock float to make a pontoon before they were even known in our area. Maybe the same could be done with some cleaned up, old logs. If lawnchair Larry could realize his dream of flight, then getting out on water is much easier.

oh the unrelated note (because it has already gone there) I would hope the above posted question is answered no but either way "watch that eye"! Dont even want to go there.

back to the proper side of things i am thinking of asking the fam for a hard body "sit on top" style kayak, they are the cheapest sort and seem like they would lend them selves well to fishing ( a lot of open space on the "deck" to work on) any one object to that thought ?? Well, at least your feet wont be marinating, ha... You asked for the downside in your original post, and I can give you 10 for a SOT, that doesnt mean we're objecting at all. Every craft has its negatives except my favorite pontoon. How often would you go out to your small lake or wherever you would go, if you had the ideal craft? How old are you and what kind of shape? No one can suggest what kind of craft to get anymore than what kind of belt, if any, you should wear.
Hope this helps.

Pon

peace[/quote]
[signature]
I like the make your own idea, I have to tossing that thought around in me head, and any reference to lawn chair larry is always worth a mention [Smile]
[signature]
Another copycat of Larry:
[url "http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_070907_news_balloon_flight.5c31c9b3.html"]http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_070907_news_balloon_flight.5c31c9b3.html[/url]

[quote jim202000]I like the make your own idea, I have to tossing that thought around in me head, and any reference to lawn chair larry is always worth a mention [Smile][/quote]
[signature]