Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help a noob
I'm waiting on my first fly pole (Cabela's Wind River 9' 5# combo, on sale for 49.95 [Smile]) to arrive at Cabela's so I can pick it up.

In the meantime I wanted to pick up some flies mainly for trout fishing (also small community pond bass and other species from time to time). I'm planning on hitting up the local mountain lakes and creeks. I'm completely new to fly fishing and was wondering if anybody could give me a list of flies I should be trying to obtain. Or if you know of a decent prepackaged set that would be great also. I already have the Orvis 9.99 best selling flies set.

Tippets, apparently this combo is spooled with weight forward line and a leader. I want to get a spool of leader to use for tippets. I'm going to be hitting up the local (SLC, UT) mountain lakes and creeks. What brand/type of leader should I get? Should I get three different sizes so I can make my own leaders down the road?

Should I also buy an extra reel to be spooled with sinking line? The Cabela's Three Forks 4/5/6 reel is only 20 bucks right now so for that price why not is what I'm thinking but if you think I wont switch that often that I'll just stick with the one for now.

I purchased 5" curved and straight forceps, foam strike indicators, and a fly box with an assortment of 12 flies on eBay. I just told the guy to include whatever he thought would be good in my situation. What other accessories do I need, nippers, Zap a Gap, vest or chest vest etc.? The waders and boots will have to wait, I need to save up for them. I figure I'll just shore fish for now.

I've been reading what I can and watching educational videos on the internet, but your suggestions for a beginner set up are GREATLY appreciated.
[quote kickingback]I'm waiting on my first fly pole (Cabela's Wind River 9' 5# combo, on sale for 49.95 [Smile]) to arrive at Cabela's so I can pick it up.

In the meantime I wanted to pick up some flies mainly for trout fishing (also small community pond bass and other species from time to time). I'm planning on hitting up the local mountain lakes and creeks. I'm completely new to fly fishing and was wondering if anybody could give me a list of flies I should be trying to obtain. Or if you know of a decent prepackaged set that would be great also. I already have the Orvis 9.99 best selling flies set.
I already gave you my suggestions for those mountain river/creeks. For the local ponds...same flies for the most part, but Crystal Buggers work great on bass. Chartreuse Bugger with Pheasant tail tail

Tippets, apparently this combo is spooled with weight forward line and a leader. I want to get a spool of leader to use for tippets. I'm going to be hitting up the local (SLC, UT) mountain lakes and creeks. What brand/type of leader should I get? Should I get three different sizes so I can make my own leaders down the road?

Personally, I use regular fishing line (Fluorocarbon) as I guide and go through allot. It is less expensive but a little bigger diameter than TIPPET. But, hasn't created a problem yet. I tie a foot or so on a leader and that does make it last longer., but I have 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 & 2 pound so I can make a leader.

Should I also buy an extra reel to be spooled with sinking line? The Cabela's Three Forks 4/5/6 reel is only 20 bucks right now so for that price why not is what I'm thinking but if you think I wont switch that often that I'll just stick with the one for now.

Absolutely on the extra spool, as you will need a sinking line at some point

I purchased 5" curved and straight forceps, foam strike indicators, and a fly box with an assortment of 12 flies on eBay. I just told the guy to include whatever he thought would be good in my situation. What other accessories do I need, nippers, Zap a Gap, vest or chest vest etc.? The waders and boots will have to wait, I need to save up for them. I figure I'll just shore fish for now.

Floatant and split shot. Right now, a pair of sandals or old tennis shoes with shorts would work but keep in mind, they might be a bit slippery

I've been reading what I can and watching educational videos on the internet, but your suggestions for a beginner set up are GREATLY appreciated.[/quote]

Sounds like you know what you have to do, that is a plus right out of the gate. Good luck and enjoy.
[signature]
I will buy one tapered leader and blood knot on some thinner line for the tippet. I usually get the 5x or 6x 4 to 6 pound test. You can replace this pretty easy. I would get a vest. You can probably go scope them out at cabelas or sportsmans and then shop on the internet for something cheaper. You can probably do the same thing with felt bottom boots. I rarely use my waders, just wear shorts and wading boots in the summer, with all my valubales in the vest in case I decide to cross some deep water. You also want some #4 and #6 split shot. As for flies, I would get some prince's, copper johns, rainbow warriors, Hare's ears, pheasant tails (preferably flashback), lightning bugs, midges-zebra (black, green, red, grey, disco-all smaller beadheads). Dries-PMDs, BWOs, Royal Wulffs, Humpies, Adams, Stimulators, and some hoppers-preferably foam. I think fly goddess mentioned everything else. Flyfishing is very expensive, but also very addicting. Have fun. If you have any other questions or want to fish PM me. I have been doing a lot of boat fishing lately and went to the Webe today and got my fly fishing jones on for the season.

Later,

Philbert
[signature]
your definatly going to want a good pair of siscors..i have the sciscors hemo combo..cost a little more but you only need one tool then..any vest will work but is deffinatly needed..its your tackle box needs to carry every thing you need..fly dressing for your dry flies..mojo mud for weight on the nymphs..split shots just dont work nearly as well..ill let somebody else recomend the right tippitsi use 2 to 4 pond florocarbon..might not be the prefered choice..
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi there kickingback looks like most of the categories have been covered with the exception of eye wear. You definitely will want to get yourself a good pair of polarized glasses. Since much of fly fishing is sight seeing, it always helps to know were the trout are hanging out.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
RIGHT ON DRY ROD!!!! EYE WEAR....never fish with out....REALLY! Even if they are clear.
On leader and tippet....if you choose to go that way, remember GENERALLY...you start with the number "9" subtract the X and that gives you the POUND...or close to it. All companies have their own measurement, but they will be close. EX: 9 - 6X = 3 lb line. 4X & 5X are the most popular.
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Here's a reference tippet chart. Click the chart to enlarge.
[inline tsll.jpg]
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
Thanks everybody, especially flygoddess (I've seen your site and will definitely employ your services someday)! I really appreciate the help.

I ended up buying some of the other necessities today. Nippers, double zinger retractor tool, flotant and holder, polarized clip ons for my prescription glasses, vest bought on eBay from a local retailer Smile (decided I could always get a chest vest down the road if need be), and extra reel.

I also bought some leader spools for tippet, the Rio Mainstream model, obviously OLD but they were cheap so maybe I'll try and use them just to learn on. Otherwise I'm thinking of just getting the Frog Hair 3 packs. Would you fellow forum members recommend the 3x/4x/5x pack or the 4x/5x/6x pack? I'm leaning towards the 4x/5x/6x pack and maybe just buying a separate spool of 3x. I know they aren't fluorocarbon but the price is right. Flygoddess, you mentioned your using non-tippet/leader flurocarbon, if I go this route would you say get a few different tests, one's similar to the fly leader/tippet I would use? Maybe I'll do that instead. Decisions, decisions.

I've found some good deals on wading boots so I might just get them sooner than later. I've had it up to here with getting snagged and not being able to retrieve the hook. For now I'll probably do what your doing phillbert, wade in shorts or whatever. However, do you typically wear a size bigger boot to accomadate the wader?

You guys have been a great help. Again, all your advice is much appreciated.
I would buy a few LEADERS (4X - 7 1/2'er) then buy some 4 lb & 6 lb. P-Line, Seaguar, or Vanish 100% fluorocarbon.
The thing is, Mono gets brittle if old, fluoro will not. It is said fluoro sinks, true to a point and that can be a good thing.
If it slightly sinks with a dry fly there is no shadow of the leader. I use it on #32 dries and it floats fine.
I am a true believer in Fluorocarbon.
But remember, because fluorocarbon does NOT deteriorate, you must pick up all pieces and dispose of it in a trash.
[signature]
Quote:But remember, because fluorocarbon does NOT deteriorate, you must pick up all pieces and dispose of it in a trash.

Agreed! I always bring a bag to not only to deposit my trash but to pick up others trash also before I leave.

Thanks again.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hey there kickingback looks like you have been hooked, and that's a good thing. I found that I needed a half size larger boot to accommodate the thickness of my stocking foot waders. If possible bring your waders along when you try on boots. Too small and you will be miserable. Too large and your feet will slosh around especially when going down hill.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Sorry to keep bringing this post up to the top but I've been comparing fluorocarbon lines and various forum posts for almost 10 hours now (no lie).

Quote:I would buy a few LEADERS (4X - 7 1/2'er) then buy some 4 lb & 6 lb. P-Line, Seaguar, or Vanish 100% fluorocarbon.

Do you think the P-Line FluroClear is good enough or should I just go with a 100% flurocarbon line.

BTW flygoddess, on your blog I noticed you play a 5 string bass, nice! I'm still working on trying to play 4 strings but then again that is my indoors hobby which I don't do much when the weather is nice [laugh].

Oh, I also bought a pair of the Korkers Torrent wading shoe. I figure I can use it to wet wade and down the road I can get a Korkers wading boot that I can use the same soles with (non-felt [Image: bobwink.gif])

Dryrod, yeah I'm hooked and I haven't even hit the water yet. Spin and baitcast fishing is nice and all but when you see those fish coming to the top for flies there's a certain temptation that comes over you. Not to mention the beauty and grace of fly fishing. I also feel it looks like a more engaging form of fishing than spin casting.
p-line is probly the best florocarbon on the list...mine and alot of peoples opinion..the things you need that nobodys told you about is alot of patience and a good control of your temper..it looks gracefull when somebody else is casting..a few classes and alot of practice will get you there with patience..
[signature]
Quote:p-line is probly the best florocarbon on the list

Thanks lurtch, I'm wondering if their FloroClear fluorocarbon coated copolymer would work or just go with their 100% fluorocarbon line?

Quote:the things you need that nobodys told you about is alot of patience and a good control of your temper..it looks gracefull when somebody else is casting..a few classes and alot of practice will get you there with patience

Great advice, ty [Smile].
the floroclear is a great casting lineits coated with the copolomer..makes it very slick..no memory and almost slipery feel..casts great dont know how itll work as a tippet..try it and spread the news..
[signature]
100% fluorocarbon. The coated (like everything else coated) will eventually come off and the line goes whitish, which defeats the whole idea of Fluorocarbon.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Some observations about fluorocarbon material:
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Fluorocarbon sinks faster, nylon =s 1.1 verus fluor =s 1.75 pg[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Fluor has stealth quality below surface[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Flour resists abrasions[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Harder to tie knots[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Stiffer[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Orvis $9.95 @ 40 m versus mono @ $3.95[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Nylon has less memory[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Nylon does get more brittle with exposure to sun, heat and oxygen[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Flour is not bio-degradable, will last forever[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Fluor is more brittle and has less stretch
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I'm sure there are other pros and cons to both materials.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
Actually, the newer fluoro is just as easy to tie knots and they hold just as well...BECAUSE it is not stiffer anymore.
Fluorocarbon has come a long way.
It might not be invisible under water, but light has no effect on it as other monos therefore it will be less visible.
It does sink faster than nylon, that is true, but would you prefer a leader lying on top of the water casting a shadow or glinting the sunlight occasionally, or would you prefer a leader that light does not reflect off of and it rides in the film so no shadow.
For me, I have all the confidence in the world with Fluorocarbon and confidence is 99% to being a successful fisher.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]I have no problem using mono with dries, however when nymphing or using a dropper I will use fluor. Having the latest & newer material is not in my vocabulary. I guess they would have to be if my lively hood depended upon it. I know that at my fly shop they're always mentioning whats new & great. Guess that they have to make a living too.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips. My rod and reel should arrive at the store this week so when I'm there I'll pick up some 4 and 6lb fluoro.

I did buy a pair of Rivendell Z-Tech waders. It sounds like Rivendell went out of business but I've found no major complaints about their products online. I know a zippered wader concerns some but they use a well known waterproof zipper (Riri). It'll also be nice to unzip if it gets a little hot. They werent expensive either.

I won an auction for 2 pairs of Stearns neoprene booties, the one's with gravel guards. It looks like they are now Hodgmans branded, the Lakestream model to be exact. The guy who sold me the strike indicators also sent me a furled leader for free (well nothing's free in the end).

I think I'm all ready to go (still working on my patience and temper though [blush]). I want to thank everybody for their help. You are all very helpful, honest, and knowledgeable.

Oh, flygoddess, I seen a great license plate holder for you on a car on the way home from Mill Creek. It said "Reel Women Fly Fish" [Image: happy.gif]