Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tube Parts
I was given a used u-shaped float tube that appears to be a lost lake open front float tube as is sold by Bass Pro Shops. It was, however, missing the stabilizer bar and casting apron piece. I contacted them and was told that they don't sell the replacement parts. Seemed a bit strange to me, but what do I know. The bladder seems to hold air well enough, pumped it up and left it for three days with no air leakage that I could tell. I'd hate to see this go to waste and figure I could use it without the parts, but would really like to have the tube complete and it seems like that bar might be helpful to keep the ends from pushing together when sitting in it. I've not tubed before, but have many friends that do and I'm looking forward to getting out there. Anyone have any idea where I might find a comparable part or am I destined to try to make my own? Any help would be appreciated!
[signature]
The stabilizer bar on my first tube was basically PVC pipe cut to length with the ends at a angle. There are a lot of examples in the Archives and Help desk of aprons made from different materials.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, I will look at those resources.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It doesn't sound like you have tried fishing in your tube without the stabilizer bar. If you had, you would quickly discover why they are needed. Without the bar the two ends of the open tube will collapse in on you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As suggested, PVC tubing will get the job done. I had to replace the stabilizer bar on a Trout Unlimited Kennebec and found that 3/4 inch schedule 40 (heavy) PVC was just right. The 1/2 inch is not rigid enough and 1" is just a bit big. Might be different on your tube. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want a mesh apron, I have a couple of extras that I took off Outcast tubes and replaced with the rigid plastic aprons. However, if you look back at the aprons info you might decide you want to rig something else. Aprons are handy for catching fly line, controlling fish and tackle tinkering...to reduce loss of lures and goodies into the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What part of the country do you live in?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I live in the San Diego area. As you stated, I haven't fished with the tube yet, and also as you stated that was one of my concerns. I'm certainly not adverse to making one from PVC and I'm sure I've got some SCH 40 3/4" laying around from misc sprinkler repairs. Heck, might even have some end caps and I know I have glue. I've noticed that you've used PVC quite effectively as a method for creating rod holders and other mounts and I'm certainly impressed with your handiwork. I did notice that there was a strap that came down from mid-span on the bar to connect to the strap coming up from the front the seat. I'm assuming that's to keep one from slipping out of the seat or at least makes the seat more stable. Can I assume that's something to be concerned with? I figure a short session with a needle, thread, and a length of appropriate bare strap should create the necessary strap to replicate what's missing. Thanks for the feedback.
[signature]
Welcome to pimpin, trickin, and all around jury riggin of your tube. Alot of what we have has come from testing one theory and design to another to find out what works. I know you will enjoy the sport.[cool]
[signature]
It has been a long time since my "U" tube, but you are correct about a strap that comes up between your legs. It is an important part as it will cradle you. Like climbing harnesses except not each cheek.
It could be easy enough to fabricate, but it would help if you could see the whole boat or a similar one.

[Image: 610322.jpg]

There is a pocket on each side of the tube for the bar. Then there is a strap with a clip. The apron has a strap across the front and the other end to the clip. This is to keep the bar secure in both directions.
The crotch strap is in the middle of the apron.
[signature]
That's the exact picture I saw that indicated to me what was needed. Again, BPS doesn't offer any replacement parts for it or I'd have ordered the bar/apron combo and I'd be fishing already. All of my questions are based on what I see in the picture and deducing what the affects would be with and without the furnished parts. Seems like I've been pretty close to being right, other than assuming I could get/purchase replacement parts. I don't so much care about the measuring line, but getting the apron to capture any falling tackle (I don't fly fish) is what I'm interested in. I guess I'll start with building the bar and then figure the rest out once it's all in place. It seems like the original design is a good one so I guess I'll try to stick to it as much as I can.
[signature]
I am not sure where to get mesh as in the aprons from.
Seems to me, all U tubes are very similar. Maybe another company's apron/bar would fit.
There is the HARD apron as Tube Dude uses. The Rubbermaid lid. Attach a PVC pipe under it and a strap with clip for the middle. Make it so the lip flips forward out of the way when coming into shore. Then unclip one side and easy out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can buy heavy nylon mesh at some army surplus stores or camping supply places. You can also try fabric stores.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is an online supplier of float tubes and accessories that carries a lot of things for several types of tubes. You might work your way through their list of accessories and see if there is anything there. [url "http://www.thefloattubestore.com/"]http://www.thefloattubestore.com/[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If all else fails, consider a new craft that does not need a stabilizer bar or crotch strap. Not many people using those rigs these days...for good reason. If it is in the budget, you will get a lot more enjoyment and less hassle out of a modern "V" tube with high seating...and no stabilizer bar or crotch strap.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah- TD is right !
Try "V" tube and I think that YOU gone like it.

Peter
[signature]
As with most things, I'm sure I'll want to upgrade as my experience grows, is there a substantial improvement moving from the U-Tube to the V style? Dang this could be like hunting, shooting, and archery....no end to the upgrades and "stuff". Now if I could only figure a way to get it all past the wife...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The first "U" tubes were a vast improvement over round tubes...especially when getting in and out of them. The tradeoff was the stabilizer bar that was needed to hold the two ends apart while you sat in it. A bit of a bother to connect and disconnect when launching and beaching.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like the round tubes, U tubes usually have a low slung seat that has a lot of your lower body below the water line. More drag and more exposure to cold water during cooler months.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The pointed bow/stern models..."V" tubes...almost always have higher seating, keeping your behind mostly up out of the water. Less drag and greater warmth in the cold water. Along with that, the V shape plows into wind and waves so much better than round tubes or U tubes. It is almost like the bow of a boat and makes it easier to handle your craft in conditions that would have you spinning around in a round or U tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Until you have the opportunity to get on the water and experience the differences it is difficult for you to get a full appreciation of the reasons for having a V boat. Kinda like trying to explain the taste of salt to someone who has never tasted salt, without using the word "salty".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote h82sink]As with most things, I'm sure I'll want to upgrade as my experience grows, is there a substantial improvement moving from the U-Tube to the V style? Dang this could be like hunting, shooting, and archery....no end to the upgrades and "stuff". Now if I could only figure a way to get it all past the wife...[/quote]

To get it past the wife is to get her involved. Mine loves to go out floating so I can actually get away with what I am doing at buying a motor and working on my toon. She knows I want to upgrade but she says work on current toon and we will see what happens next year. She don't like the $500 pricew tag of a new toon that I am looking at.
[signature]
The U boat design that I really like is not manufactured any more. It was the Leigh Whisper. It actually had a plastic boat seat. Venture Outdoors stopped the production when they bought out Leigh.
[signature]
Could be cause Carol Olsen (Venture Outdoors) deals with the Perma Bladders and the hard pontoons. Kinda tuff and expensive to make a "U"...LOL.
[signature]
I'm in the San Diego area as well. If you try to build one yourself, here are a couple of sources. You can get webbing at most Sport Chalet stores, and they have a good selection of buckles etc. at REI. Not positive on the mesh, but you might want to check UFO (Upholstery Fabric Outlet). Good luck, it definitely seems like something you can make if you are into that stuff.

Another thought, aside from using PVC, there is a place called Industrial Metal Supply that sells anodized aluminum tubing for under 10 bucks. I bought a piece and was going to use it in my rod rack, but it was too much trouble to bend. Very light and strong, and looks very cool if it happens to be visible.
[signature]
Excellent ideas. I'll resist the urge to upgrade before even trying to use the "free" tube I've been given. I'm eager to get something sorted out so I can get out there. In reference to the SD area, are there some lakes that are more tube friendly then others?
[signature]
I would say that most of the local lakes make good tube spots, the only real limitation is that some lakes are starting to ban tubes because of the threat of quagga mussel infestation. Those lakes, combined with the ones that never allowed tubes to begin with, are really the only ones to stay away from.

I personally live in the South Bay and rarely have more than 2-3 hours to fish, so my regular spots are the Otays (Upper and Lower), Murray and the SD River. I have been meaning to check out Miramar as well, haven't tubed there in quite a few years. And Barrett is on my "to tube" list as well this summer, just fished there from a boat last weekend.
[signature]
Being the sort of person I am, I've looked at some of the other tubes out there, paying attention to the recommended V type. I saw this ad:
http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay...=238&Cat=2

I seemed like a good deal, but I'm seeing some differences between it and the standard 420 in that the standard is 16lbs and this one is 8lbs. It says it has the same 300lb rating. Does anyone have any experience with this lightweight or know how it compares/differs from the standard 420? Too many cool toys and so little time!
[signature]