Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 0r 4 piece rods
I was wondering if having a rod that is 3 or more pieces will effect anything. Will it make it break easier on a big fish?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hey there buzzin_frog - there has been great advances made in the construction of fly rods that in my view there is probably no difference. I doubt that you will even notice the difference casting or playing a fish. I have an Orvis 4 piece Zero Gravity 6wt rod that set me back a few bucks and I would hate to think that it wouldn't stand up to a good fight.
[/size][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
What Dry Rod said. The connections on the rods are part of the rod making the multi piece un detectable.
However, there has been talk about the Harmonics. Odd # piece rods are suppose to be more in HARMONIC than even. I think it has to do with guide placement. On Odd # rods the guides are more where they are suppose to be.
I don't know, I can't tell the difference.
I do think, anymore, you will be hard pressed to find a GOOD two piece rod.
It is more about the packability.

AND, in all honesty....a one piece rod would still be the ultimate, but a bit harder to transport.
[signature]
Funny, for too long, I was insisting on two-piece rods. When I went to Alaska a few years ago, however, my fly shop had to really convince me that 4 pieces were ok. Now, I wouldn't dream of buying a two-piece rod.

I have never broken a fly rod. Ever. And all of my current go-to rods are 3- and 4-piece from 3-weights up to 9-weights.

And now I am thinking of adding a 5-piece pack rod to the equation. My 7'6" 4-piece was just a little too long to fit where I wanted in my pack on my recent hikes. [cool]
[signature]
I have a five piece, but been thinking about a 7 piece. It could fit in my back pocket.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]I have an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece 8½' 3 wt rod. Works just fine for me. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I borrowed one of those when they first came out...aren't they sweet?!!!!
The price is right, but there is no warranty as with the USA Orvis rods.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]You know me, I always work Orvis for a deal. I like the folks that do their road show, real nice people. They had mentioned the warranty factor, but since I treat all my property like it cost a million I wasn't particularly concerned about the lack of one. Haven't caught a fish whose size I could mentioned on my resume, but you're right that it sure is sugar to cast.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I bought TFO two piece 7wt when I first started FF for
bass . Now I have few rods, most in 4 piece. I see no
diff. in casting.
I like the 4 piece because of the size when broked down.
I dont think I would ever buy 2 piece again.
But i still like my TFO 7wt when the wind really pick up.

Peter
[signature]
[quote peter805]I bought TFO two piece 7wt when I first started FF for
bass . Now I have few rods, most in 4 piece. I see no
diff. in casting.
I like the 4 piece because of the size when broked down.
I dont think I would ever buy 2 piece again.
But i still like my TFO 7wt when the wind really pick up.

Peter[/quote]

I would think that is more because of the ACTION of the rod rather than number of pieces.
My Far and Fine (one of Orvis most popular rods) is a two piece but a full flex,....trust me, it doesn't do well casting big flies or in the wind. Like trying to do both with a bamboo. But my Orvis TL tip flex does great.
[signature]
Oh yeah, Im sure its in the action of the rod. It would be
nice to have the same rod but in four pieces. I just really
like how easy it handles the wind with the interm. slime
line. I can cast that rod with the wind , side wind, front wind ,back wind, any wind[Smile].

Peter
[signature]