Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River Salmon in the Northwest
How do anglers catch salmon in the rivers of the north west. Do they use fish eggs for bait? Also what type of terminal rigs do they use?

John
[signature]
First off welcome to the site ! Secondly all of your questions answers depend on some different options what species of salmon I would assume your talking about chinook and also where you are wanting to fish but yes fish eggs also known as roe is a very popular salmon bait but there is a vast amount of bait and techniques used in north western salmon fishing
[signature]
Welcome to BFT always nice to see another member from the PNW.

I fish the SW area of Washinton state and do not fish for salmon because the freaking liberals have made it so difficult and expensive with all the regs and the rules, but the WDFW has a pretty good web site and if you can afford it and you can wade through all the rules and regs here is a link to a web page of theirs that shows you all about how to catch the much sought after sport fish.

[url "http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/salmon/index.htm"]http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/salmon/index.htm[/url]

Good luck and post a report if you go to let us know if you caught any and remember we all love to see pictures of the big ones!!
[signature]
[indent][/indent]Hi Lewis,
Thanks for the reply. I fish for salmon in Michigan and enjoy it very much. I was considering a trip to the northwest but Washington may not be the state. In your opinion is Oregon better for salmon?
John
[/indent]
[signature]
Hi chrome_junky,
Thanks for the reply. Currently all of the salmon fishing I do is in Michigan rivers for the kings and coho. Don't get in the big lake much. We also catch some steelhead primary using roe. The technique involves using a 3 way swivel with a sinker and a 2 foot leader. Sometimes I use crankbaits but that can be expensive because of obstructions. What type of terminal tackle is used when fishing with roe?
John
[signature]
SAmE set up just heavier water for the most part. Use a three way or a double snap swivel set up I prefer the double snap set up if you want I'll pm you how to do the double snap I like it because you feel more fish when they hit.
[signature]