Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lucky craft lures?
i have a question for some of you guys, do you justify the cost of a lucky craft lure? i have always herd it is great for strawberry but never bought it because its expensive.
does it realy outfish rapalas or other trout lures?
if so i would like to know what model i should get, thanks in advance.
[signature]
I'M A FIRM BELIEVER OF LUCKY 'S U GET WHAT U PAY FOR YOU KNOW!!!! I'M FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO AFFORD THEM. I CATCH SMALL MOUTH ALL THE TIME ON THEM. NORTHERN PERCH WORKS WELL FOR WALLEYE.
[signature]
ok, i may just by one or two, im just scarde to lose them when fishing rocky or reedy waters [:/] . are they good at strawberry? how should i fish them?
[signature]
Just look back to the last two years from Sept. on till Nov. and see my reports on how good they work....A big yes they are worth the money....

Try the Ghost in 78 and the next size up in and any other chub colors...

I have over 70 lucky crafts and get more all the time....
[signature]
I've been fishing them for the last 4 years at Strawberry. 78 deep divers work very good either casting toward the bank or trolling. I own around 20 of them and have found that over time the eyes seem to come off which bugs me when you pay that much but even the "blind" luckys catch lots of fish! If you consider how long you will use them the extra money factored over several years of use is worth it. Ghost rainbow, ghost minnow, and rainbow are my personal favorites.
[signature]
If you buy one at a time, the cost is not so noticeable, especially if the 'boss' keeps an eye on your purchases. Guys like Cliff, who buy a dozen at a time, don't have anyone to answer too, so they can get away with blowing a couple of hundred bucks at a time. To minimize your losses of said baits, use good quality line, change it often, and retie often. Frayed knots lose more baits than big fish taking em. Also, go with heavier line. If you normally use 6lb, go up to 8, you will most likely not notice much difference in casting or performance, but will have fewer worries about losing the bait.
Matter of opinion, Rapalas and AC pluge forever.
[signature]
Ghost Minnow and Ghost Brown are the two most successful colors in clear water. They both imitate bait fish. 8lb flurocarbon or clear mono if you are brave. 10lb line is the ususal. Check for knicks and frays constantly. You can easily lose a lure to a big fish as you can a snag. Big fish like to hangout in trees and rocks. Rapala's can work too stay with subdued colors in bright light and try bright colors on cloudy days.

[signature]
Personally i have caught my biggest fish from the berry on rapalas and cheapie lures. I have never tried a lucky craft maybe i will buy one and see what the hoopla os all about.Guess you need to find what works for you.[Wink]
[signature]
aroara black is my favorite color. it is actally blue but it works great. pointer 78. they used to make a craw red in pointer 78 that could not be beat but it has been dicontinuid.
[signature]
I bought Rapala's instead of LC's for years because of the price tag. Last Fall I was at Strawberry by myself, and working on being skunked when I ran into Old Coot and a few of his buddies who were slaying the cutts on LC Pointer 78s. I dug out the one I had in my box, and nailed a cutt on the first cast, and caught several more on it before I left. The next time I went there I had several in my box, and they work real well for the cutts. On my only trip there this year I caught 6 cutts, and 7 rainbows, and every one of them came on a Pointer 78 Aurora Gold. Nothing else I tried even got bumped. Any place I've fished that has trout, they will hit it. It also works great for smallies too. Get a few, you won't be disappointed! HTH, Fred K.
[signature]
Ditto's on what wiper_junkie and tomiegun wrote.

I would just emphasize that you tie real good knots ... the night before when you have plenty of light and are not being distracted. If you think at all that you might have made the slightest mistake when tying the knot, cut it off and start again.

And a tip I often offer: Use 6-8 feet of 100% florocarbon leader onto braided main line. Since 100% florocarbon is close to invisible, I bump up to 10 lb for leader and 12 lb Stelth braded line for casting. (at Strawberry)

If you are using the corect test line, corect type of knots, the knots tied properly, and you know how to use your reel's drag, you will stop loosing lures.

My lures are done and gone only after the paint is worn off or a water ski boat takes one in the prop. No more do I loose fish or lures in a fish fight. Period.

So go buy a few of the LC pointers and keep them to use time and time again. Money WELL spent.
[signature]
Problem is in Utah most guys dont bass fish so the price of LC's stay pretty high. Cabelas was blowing them out earlier this year for almost half off.

If anyone wants some good information on where to get lots and lots of quality tackle and cheaper prices shoot me an IM.

As far as LC's I'm with everyone else. I used to use X raps which are about half the cost of LC's. however in clear water the LC's will almost always out perform a rapala.

Granted if you fish waters with dumb untouched fish they will hit about anything, but most waters around here get the snot beat out of them and you gotta use every advantage you can.

As far as line goes check out Izorline Platinum. You can pick up a 1/4 spool (1700) yds for about 15 bucks. ONLINE of course. For spinning reels its the best line i have yet to buy and I've tried them all believe me.

Only time you should be using a 100% mono line is when you are topwater fishing. It floats more than the co polymer or fluoro carbon lines, so your topwater poppers etc will stay floating.

Mono is the line of the past. Way too much stretch, poor abraison quality and it doesnt keep its original structure very easy.

Stay away from STREN all together hehehe....

Happy Fishin Smile
[signature]
i guess i will go and buy some, ive seen some realy cool ones, like the ones that have swim cuts i bet they give the lure awsome action. the only problem is that im a ultralight fisherman, i use a 2-6 lb rod and a small reel i almost always use flourecent 4 lb when catfishing but i bet clear is better, ive cought fish up to ten pounds with this outfit. if its ok pm me with what model i should get, thanks in advance.
[signature]
Shoot me a pm and I'll help you out for sure. Like i said its tough to get anything of quality in Utah unfortunately. Sportsmans does a good job, but we all know they have had their problems.

Ill send you some info that will help you tremendously [Wink]
[signature]
Here in Kentucky, LC is the only brand to go with. Nothing produces better for multiple species. I have caughten 40lb stripers to 20+ inch bows/browns to 9lb bucketmouths on LCs. The price may be high, but you definetly get what you pay for.

-Rich
[signature]
Ya how many guys are gonna complain over the biggest fish of their life?
[signature]
. Only time you should be using a 100% mono line is when you are topwater fishing. It floats more than the co polymer or fluoro carbon lines, so your topwater poppers etc will stay floating.

Mono is the line of the past. Way too much stretch, poor abraison quality and it doesnt keep its original structure very easy.

Absolute sage avdice from Rippinlips, and also Old Coot! Lose the mono, and get some 6 to 10 lb test braid, and tip it with a few feet of flourocarbon. But... STAY AWAY from Berkely Vanish! That stuff is crap... no knot strenght at all. It cost me several nice fish last year. Now I use P-Line Halo, and have been really happy with it. I changed over one rod to the braid/flouro combo early last year as a test and couldn't believe the difference! Now all of my rods have this combo. The only time I use mono anymore is for topwater. HTH, Fred K.
[signature]
If you want a killer Co-Polymer that is super soft but strong as hell look at Izorline Platinum lines. I used to be a P-Line die hard, but for a spinning outfit the Izorline has it beat. For Crankbaits the best line out there is Sunline's Shooter Defier line. Its pretty spendy but worth every penny in my opinion.

I also really like the Yo-Zuri Hybrid Co-Polymer line.

Of course i think spending a few more pennies for a quality product that lasts and never lets you down is by far better than buying some cheap crap and having to replace it several times.

Hard part about Utah is there is not a "real" place to get quality stuff. Sportsmans tries but there isnt enough of a demand for quality Bass stuff here will all the bait dunkers around hehehe...
[signature]
Thanks for the info Rippnlips ;0) Fred K.
[signature]