Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike or Pickerel
I fished a few times recently in a lake in central NJ that's know to have both pike and pickerel. To my knowledge I've never caught a pike, and I've only caught a handful of pickerel in my life. However twice on the same lake I caught what I believe to be either pike or pickerel. They were each about 16 inches. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so I had to go by memory when I got home and looked them up on the internet. The markings looked like they could have been pike, however the markings for chain pickerel are similar. Can someone who's really familiar with pike and pickerel help me out here. Both times, the water temp was about 75 or so, and both fish were caught on a spinnerbait at the edge of a weed bed in about 4 feet of water. I'm leaning toward thinking they're pickerel due to the water temp since everything I've read says that pike don't like warm water. But the only pickerel I ever caught prior to this was no more than 12 inches (but I read that they do get bigger). I guess the moral of the story here is to always carry a camera, but aside from that, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
i was always under the impression that pike was just a northern name for pickeral?both the same fish..somebody tell me if im wrong
[signature]
Two different fish. Pickerel are the smallest of the group that includes Northern Pike and Muskie. Google Pickerel and you can get the details. Mainly Pickerel are smaller and have distinct markings. Commonly called Chain Pickerel due to the chainlike markings. Pickerel are native to the southern states and tolerate the warmer water better than Northerns.
thanks..i didnt kknow that...info is good
[signature]
Two quite different cousins. The size you describe could easily be a chain pickerel. I'll attach a couple of cell phone chain pickerel pics. As you can see, these easily exceed the length you've described. I don't have any pike pics.

Chain pickerel have darker chainlike markings on a light background; northern pike have light spots on a dark background. And pickerel have what is sometimes referred to as a "clown tear" (the smeared mascara look from the eye). You can easily see it here.

[Image: Mar14pickerel3.jpg]

[Image: Mar14pickerel1.jpg]

I took these pickerel in Maryland. Feel free to PM me for more info. I hope this is helpful.
[signature]
here is a pic of a pike to back up your story rockroller [Wink]
[signature]
[#005000]Here is some photo's of N.Pike, Chain Pickerel etc. I hope this helps. I use to live in NJ but south jersey! I also live in NY, and I have caught my share of pikes/pickerel etc. [/#005000]
[signature]
nice fish bigpikeguy!
[signature]
Thanks trophytrout89, i appreciate it. There are many more where he came from!
[signature]