Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show off your boat.
Mine is a duck hunting boat(laydown)converted to fishing.Whats yours?
[inline boat.JPG]
[signature]
My sons Otter with rod holder and stabilizers
[Image: IMG_2315.jpg]

Mine

[Image: IMG_1832-800.jpg]
[signature]
Hi All,

I wanted to try out Kayak Fishing and being in a hurry to get out on the water this summer, I went with Bass Pro Shops Ascend FS12T model. I did do a bit of research in various forums and on the Bass Pro site itself. As I am a fair sized individual, 6'3", 240 pounds, I went with a sit on top style. The FS12T is 12 feet long, 31 inches wide and weighs in at 56 pounds with a 350 pound capacity.

The only gripes that I found with the Kayak as it comes are the two scupper holes in the seat area are not drilled through so you either have to do something about it or sit in a wet seat all day, I managed to open them up and found out that they had a slight misalignment issue which is probably why Bass Pro didn't do it to begin with. Another issue is the fishing rod holder is set a bit far forward, in fact it sits between your feet. Since I have arms like a gorilla, it isn't really much of a problem for me. I am planning on moving it back to the convenient tray that sits ahead of the built in cup holder and using its' original location for a fish finder unit.

There was also an issue that some had with the bottom supposedly being soft. Actually, I think that comes from some trying to transport it while it is sitting upright. In the little instruction manual that comes with it, you are told that it is supposed to be transported upside down. When I took mine home from the store I did not know this and where I had the forward foam mounting block, it did dish it in. Once I took it inside in a cooler environment, the dented in area popped right back out.

Here it is set up waiting for its' maiden voyage.

[Image: EmFS12T007.jpg]

This is the proper way to transport it.

[Image: EmFS12T020.jpg]

I did get to take it out for a check out trip once so far. It is very stable to ride on, the design of the hull bottom makes for a easy to sit on Kayak with very little of the "tippy" problems most often associated with the breed. My repairs to the seat scupper holes worked quite well, I went over both openings on the inside with some JB Weld 2 part epoxy to keep them from leaking and it worked, no leakage anywhere. I paddled about 10 to 12 miles with it around the northwest corner of Boulder Basin at Lake Mead and found it was a pretty good handling unit.

Now I just need to get some fish slime on it to officially break it into the realm of a fishing Kayak.[Wink]

And no, I don't work for Bass Pro, but they do make a pretty good inexpensive Kayak to try your hand at the hobby. I am considering the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game Angler as my next Fishing Kayak as it is longer, 12'9", wider, 34" and had a greater weight carrying capacity at 550 - 600 pounds and it only weighs 4 pounds more than my FS12T at 60 pounds. To that end, I am saving up my nickels and dimes. [Wink]

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
[signature]
Mine is a pontoon all tricked out.
[inline "Pontoon - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Holy crap nice boat.
[signature]
Thanks! I have mmade some changes since that pic was taken.[cool]
[signature]
Here's a couple of mine....