Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1952 advertisement
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Here is an ad from 1952. The bid price for the Powr Pakt rod on eBay is currently $158.
[inline phillipson1952.gif]
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline Phillipsons.jpg]
[signature]
is that a picture of the rod being bid on on ebay at the bottom??

hmmmmmmm 3.5 times the original value in 57 years.. [Smile]

since I know little about tonkin cane rods. I take it they were not/are not one of the higher end cane rods????

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Bamboo is from TONKIN so it is all (or the majority) Tonkin Cane. Even Glenn Bracket sends someone over tom hand pick the TONKIN cane.

It is just the different builders, tapers, hardware, and of course quality of the cane.

With cane being all there was for a long time, you had your Walmart line so to speak. Or Sears[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hey MacFly the picture of the rod & case is the actual product on eBay. BTW you can purchase a culm of Tomkin cane for around $20 which is enough to produce one rod. So obviously the cost of a fine boo is not in the cane itself.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
so is this powr pakt rod a walmart special or something to look at..

btw.. I just did a search on ebay and could not find this ad to save my behind.. am I missing something (or should I say more than usual)??? [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It was three years before you were born.
[signature]
lol... I know that.... [Smile] .. but.. is that particular rod one to look at or is it one of the cheaper models???

from the pic it looks to be a fairly nice rod.. but then again.. what do I know..LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
These are PHILLIPSON which means NOOOO they are not WALMART rods
These are much sought after even the glass.
[signature]
oh I realize that the material is only a part of the final product its all the rest of the work and materials that differentiates one manufacturer from the other.. but.. and I may be wrong here..

even though the bamboo is all the same tonkin bamboo.. arent there different grades of the bamboo and that the higher quality rods are made from the higher quality bamboo.. I mean I can make a cabinet out of a piece of construction grade plywood.. or I can make it from several planks of oak, or ash.. both give the same result .. a cabinet.. but which would you be more willing to show to your friends?? [Smile]

MacFly
[signature]
so a phillipson that I am seeing on ebay right now for 102.50 would be a good rod to think about getting??

[url "http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillipson-Power-Pakt-Bamboo-Fly-Rod-Very-Nice_W0QQitemZ200369538221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea6f484ad&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Phillipson Rod[/url]

MacFly
[signature]
I am betting that thing will be in the $500. range by the time the 3 days are gone.
[signature]
[quote macfly55]oh I realize that the material is only a part of the final product its all the rest of the work and materials that differentiates one manufacturer from the other.. but.. and I may be wrong here..

even though the bamboo is all the same tonkin bamboo.. arent there different grades of the bamboo and that the higher quality rods are made from the higher quality bamboo.. I mean I can make a cabinet out of a piece of construction grade plywood.. or I can make it from several planks of oak, or ash.. both give the same result .. a cabinet.. but which would you be more willing to show to your friends?? [Smile]

MacFly[/quote]

Right, that is why I say they HAND PICK there supply.
[signature]
dang... lol.. oh well.. so much for wishing.. [laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
dang .. must of missed the hand picked part.. now it all makes sense.. well.. maybe.. LOL...

MacFly
[signature]