Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checkin' out Lincoln Beach
[cool][#0000ff]Haven't fished Lincoln Beach in like forever. Planning a tubers get together there at the end of August so I though I better check things out. Originally planned a trip to Willard, with Wildcat94, but forecast for high winds changed that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Winds were supposed to be out of the south. So, I figured I would hit the south side of Utah Lake and if the winds got too strong to fish I would be outta there. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stopped at the Spanish Fork River area on the way to Lincoln Beach. Took a dirt road a hundred yards to the east of the river mouth and found a nice sandy launch area for my tube. Just getting light and a white bass boil developed right in front of my tube before I could launch. Grundles of whities were swirling on some bitty bites of some kind...probably bluegill or crappie fry. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I thought I would try a couple of casts from shore before launching. Heck, I could have stood in one place and filled a tub with white bass. Doubles on every cast with my tandem rig. No biggies...8 to 10 inchers mostly. But, eager and aggressive. Not what I came fer.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]As I kicked out into deeper water, I occasionally dipped my jigs into the water beside the tube. Each time I did...one white bass would take the bottom jig and pull it down so that another could double up on the second jig. What a challenge.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Once I reached about 4 feet of water, the whities thinned out. I suspected there might be a walleye or two cruising the edges and picking off unwary whities. I began casting a new shad grub I had just got from Barlows. About the third cast THUMP. Hookset, headshake, GAME ON. After some careful rod work I coaxed the chunky wallie into my net. Yee hawwww. 24" of lovely good eatin'. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Had a couple more hefty hits on the plastic but did not hook anything else besides a few more whities. Picked up a rod with a pale perch crankbait on it and began catching whities on that too. Man, they were hitting everything I offered them. Then, THUMP...Hookset, headshake, long battle and then a "conservation release" just before reaching the net. Okay. I would have had to release it anyway since I already had my wallie over 24". But, it would have been nice to get it to Smile for a picture before being released.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]That was it on walleyes for the morning. A big full moon setting as I drove up might have had them feeding at night. The only one I got was EARLY. But, I kept throwing an assortment of plastics and cranks. The whities hit it all, but even they slowed down after about 8 am.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]So, I kicked back into shore and headed for Lincoln Beach. Launched off the shallow shoreline in front of the "facilities". Threw small plastics to see if there were any willing whities in the shallow channel. Nope. Changed to my red and chartreuse shad grub and quickly nailed a few more white bass. Then I got something that felt different. It was different. A silly crappie way out away from any structure. Took it's picture and send him back.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Decided to drag one of the small minnows I had brought to tip jigs or fish under a bobber. Action on the whities had been fast enough without minnows that I had not used any yet. The whities liked the minnows too...too well. I was going through them fast. Then I crossed into the "kitty zone". For a half hour I got smacked by a cookie cutter kitty as soon as I could rebait and sail out a new minnow. Kept 3 for a meal. Then I hooked one that was definitely not a cookie. Much fun on the light rod and 6# line. Finally netted the 24 incher and took it's picture before sending it back. Healthy fish. Fought much better, for longer, than the same size walleye I had caught earlier.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]It had been calm, in spite of the forecast for building SW winds. And then...a NE breeze started coming up...and up...and up. As usual, whenever the north breezes blow into Lincoln Beach my fishing just shuts down. The N breeze started about 11 and I did not have another bite before leaving the water about 12.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Not too bad. Not really "blown" off the lake. Rather nice all morning really. And, by catching 4 different species I had managed a "grand slime". [/#0000ff]
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51538"][#63626b]WHITIE BOIL AT LAUNCH.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (406 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51539"][#63626b]TUBERS' DELIGHT.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (172 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51540"][#63626b]DOUBLES AT DAWN.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (203 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51541"][#63626b]SECLUDED PARKING.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (231 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51542"][#63626b]2 FEET OF WALLEYE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (206 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51543"][#63626b]ORANGE DELIGHT.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (196 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51544"][#63626b]RATLTRAP WHITIE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (287 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51545"][#63626b]TIGER CRANK WHITIE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (181 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51546"][#63626b]LINCOLN BEACH LAUNCH.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (246 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51547"][#63626b]LOST CRAPPIE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (207 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51548"][#63626b]LARGER WHITIE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (249 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51549"][#63626b]PURPLE MUNCHER.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (189 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51550"][#63626b]COOKIE CUTTER KITTY.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (198 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51551"][#63626b]2 FEET OF KITTY.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (182 KB)
[Image: image.gif] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=51552"][#63626b]SW WIND FROM NE.jpg[/#63626b][/url] (232 KB)
[signature]
So you go on a prospecting trip and strike GOLD!
Have you ever thought about handing out lottery numbers, you know just to friends?
I would say you are lucky but I know it is WAY more than that. Looks like a great day. Ron
[signature]
What a fun morning and another excellent report! [cool]

Judging by the markings (or lack thereof) on that Crappie, I think it was simply Confused about its indentity. It looks like a White Bass with big fins. . . . [:p]

Also, that is the nicest looking 24" cat I think I've ever seen.
[signature]
[quote ParrMark]What a fun morning and another excellent report! [cool]

Judging by the markings (or lack thereof) on that Crappie, I think it was simply Confused about its indentity. It looks like a White Bass with big fins. . . . [:p]

Also, that is the nicest looking 24" cat I think I've ever seen.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Flatterer. I'll bet you say that to all the tubers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The crappie really was "bland" compared to many I have caught. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, the mama cat really was in FINE shape. She put up a great battle too...stripping line off the drag several times on the light outfit I was using. That's what it's all about.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Ron.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All false modesty aside, I know that lake and that area pretty well after fishing it since the 1960's. I can usually figure out a pattern and can handle my gear well enough to scratch out a few on most trips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is always enjoyable to return to "old friends" and to have them greet you with enthusiasm.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like you had some fun. I am looking forward to the end of the month.[Smile]
[signature]
Sounds like a near perfect trip and time well spent. Nice to be able to fish somewhere close and have a good selection of species to enjoy.
[signature]
[quote Hnaf]Sounds like a near perfect trip and time well spent. Nice to be able to fish somewhere close and have a good selection of species to enjoy.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Poor old Utah Lake gets very little respect from the local angling community, but it really does offer some great fishing opportunities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4 species in a day is nothing. I have doubled that on Utah Lake...using essentially the same lure in the same area. Even though carp comprise 90 percent of the lake's biomass, there are so many fish of so many other species that it is possible to do the "double slime" if you are good...and lucky. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is at least a partial list of what you could conceivably catch on a good day:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]White Bass[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Largemouth Bass[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Smallmouth Bass[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yellow Perch[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bluegill[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Green Sunfish[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Black Crappie[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Black Bullhead[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Channel Catfish[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walleye[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Carp[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sucker[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plus, the occasional brown or rainbow trout that wander down one of the tributaries...mainly in the cooler months and under the ice in winter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There have been numerous other species planted in Utah Lake but which have never shown up since. One example is the northern pike. There are reports of one here and there, but not recently.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are also the "exotics", like the pacu...a relative of the piranha from South America.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah Lake is like a box of choklits...ya never know what yer gonna git.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like a blast. To bad you wasnt going tomorrow I would have joined you. I cant wait go fishing on the 28th. I have only caught white bass out of utah lake. Hopefully I can do better on that trip with you guys. Got any tips on what type of baits to get before then.
[signature]
LM and SM in Utah Lake? Really?
[signature]
Quote:[#0000ff]Then I hooked one that was definitely not a cookie. Much fun on the light rod and 6# line. Finally netted the 24 incher[/#0000ff]

[cool] Yeah, way fun! Earlier this year I was soaking a minnow on my whisker fish rod and tossing a spinner for whities on a short/light stick with 4# test. A nice 24" kitty whacked that spinner and then proceeded to kick my bootay around the pond for several minutes. It ran me into and around the bullrushes at least 3 or 4 times - what a wild ride! I was amazed that I was actually able to land it - but sure 'nuff. Sometimes it really pays to tie good knots and to keep your line fresh. Ya just never know. . . .
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As we get closer to the "gathering" I will post up a list of suggested tackle, baits and accessories to help improve the odds of success...and personal comfort and survival.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, in advance I will suggest medium light to medium tackle, an assortment of plastics from 1 1/2" to 4"...in various colors, worms for tipping jigs or fishing under a bobber, minnows, carp meat and/or white bass meat for walleyes and cats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is good to have walkie talkies, for inter-angler communication. You should also have sunscreen, mosquito repellent and possibly a headnet in case of a midge hatch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That should get you started.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]LM and SM in Utah Lake? Really?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Lots of largemouths caught every year, all around the lake. Not as many smallies but they are there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks for the advance list of tackle.
[signature]
RE "LM and SM in Utah Lake? Really?"

UL is an excellent LMB fishery that is many a bassers "secret" spot. They are not always easy to catch,but when caught, they are usually fat and often quite large. I don't have a lot of pictures from out there, but I have this one of a fish I caught while out on a daddy daughter crappie run earlier this spring.
[signature]
Interesting, I had no idea. But then, from Utah Lake, I would imagine they could have three eyes and mouths out their sides...LOL

I read somewhere, that BASS really soak/eat up that toxic stuff. Maybe it was something on American Falls.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bass do not consume toxic materials per se. However, they are top predators and eat lots of smaller fish and invertebrates that do absorb the bad stuff...PCB, mercury, arsenic and other goodies. Since most of the bad stuff accumulates in the fatty tissues of fish and is not passed out, it will build up over time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Interestingly, in recent studies done on Utah Lake fish species, largemouth bass were one species with a very low level of PCBs and very little or no mercury contamination. Carp were the highest, since they slurp up lots of bottom vegetation, algae and other lovely stuff. Catfish were a distant second.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah Lake gets a bad rap. It is much cleaner than many of the high mountain lakes in terms of potential chemical contaminants. Just because it is shallow and gets muddy when the wind blows people think it is polluted. Not so.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well, then the media doesn't tell the whole story either. Utah Lake is always in the paper in regards to DON'T EAT THE FISH.
I personally think it is a little high...look at it's past. It was a dump so to speak. That stuff doesn't just go away as you already know.

I do have a hard time consuming anything out of there. Your smokin' cat fish is a little at a time joy.

I know it is the CHANNEL CAT and the CARP that are the carriers and I understand Silver and Ashley are the only two with advisory attached.[Wink]

But heay, I don't smoke, or consume Alcohol other than special rare occasions. I am a little health conscious....[laugh]
[signature]
nice going TD. Sounds like a GREAT day on the water.

Peter
[signature]
RE"Interesting, I had no idea. But then, from Utah Lake, I would imagine they could have three eyes and mouths out their sides...LOL "

That sounds like a hard fighting fish.[Wink]

RE:"I read somewhere, that BASS really soak/eat up that toxic stuff. Maybe it was something on American Falls."

UL actually has trophy regs for the LMB (no fish over 12 inches may be kept) and most of us that target them much out there are pretty much C&R. However, as TD pointed out, if one were inclined to eat one, the other fish species besides carp and channel cats have tested safely for both mercury and PCB's. That is more than can be said for the bass at Jordanelle.[shocked]
[signature]