Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gar and bream pics
Hey guys i'm new here, i'm from south Louisiana and I have been fishing the the swamps here along the coast for Gar, catfish, and bream sometimes i'll even catch a bass. I have pics of some gar and bream I caught about 2 months ago.
[signature]
Hey c4jun,
Welcome to BFT! It is great how a guy from the Great Pacific Northwest gets to meet a guy from Cajun contry and share pics of fish and such...gotta love the internet.

Nice fish. Those gar sure are toothy buggers. Are they good eating? Do you just just fillet them and cook 'em up like any other fish? I have read on this and other forums that they are fun to catch. One fellow was talking about how they use yarn lures without hooks and the gar get their teeth hung up on the yarn because their mouths are so tough that a hook can not penetrate it. Is that the same kind of gar you are catching?
[signature]
Yeah they are great to eat. They have a very hard scally shell around them so what you have to do first to clean them is start from the tail. Put a notch in the top part of the tail start slicing all the way up to the head. Next you can start slicing around the shell so you can get the meat out. Then cut off the head and the tail and rip out the meat from the shell and there ya go.

The way I eat garfish is we here in Louisiana make Garfish patties they consist on Garfish meat, potatoes, green onions, regular onions and just spice them up like you want them. Make like a pattie like you would a hamburger. Then dust the pattie in flour and fry it. It is the best. Now if the Garfish is 4+ feet you can make a Garfish roast. That is killer GOOD!! If anyone catches garfish keep them and eat them they are good. Another thing I usually don't keep garfish 3 feet and under but the only way I keep them is if they swallow the hook and I can't get it out. Keep all fish that you can get the hook out please they will die anyway don't throw them back.
[signature]