Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im a newbie here! looking for tips
hey everybody im new here and im looking for tips for fishing trout both lake and stream. im 14 and live in grand junction col. and enjoy fishing with my dad in gypsum col. mostly use a slip sinker to start then swivel then 3ft leader and then snell. i have caught many fish on this rig but was wondering what your guys' opinion was. thanks
lil guppy
[signature]
Welcome to the forums sorry it's taken me so long to respond I've been camping your setup sounds like it should work great in moving streams in your area try catching some grass hoppers and bottom bouncing thoughs many big trout have been landed by me with this technique
[signature]
well since your in GJ, you also have the CO river in your back yard. during lower flows try the fly and bubble tech. if your not into fly fishing. you could also make the little trip to the black canyon and fish the gunnison comming out of it before it heads into the CO river. i cant recall the name of the lake out side of Montrose, but it heads towards the black canyon and from what i have heard it fishes well also. with being where you are at, you have some trohy fishing available. make sure you always have a copy of the newest regs on you because of the amount of changes in regulations at certain points along the rivers there. be sure to post on the CO boards your reports. every time i come back to the states i go to CO and always report every chance i get, so it feels lonely there some times, but others chime in! good luck and have a blast!
[signature]
It seems almost every stream I fish has trout that are willing to go after a panther martin spinner. Size and color may vary, but try out a panther martin and a snap swivel.
[signature]
For lake trout, any inline spinner or roostertail works great for me. Also spoons have produced a lot of hits for me. When it comes to streams, i'm not much of a fly fisherman but I have caught fish on the bubble and fly method used on spinning gear. my personal favorite for streams is just drifting down a night crawler or mealworm with a tiny split shot on the line. For stocked trout powerbait has worked great for me.
[signature]