Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late October- Provo River advice
I'd really appreciate some advice. I'm planning a surprise trip to Salt Lake City for my husband's birthday Oct. 23-26, mostly to attend a concert in Wendover. But also to do a little hiking, etc.

I was thinking about booking a fly-fishing day trip, possibly on the Provo River, preferably not too far from Salt Lake City. He won't have his equipment or flies so it would need to be a guided trip. We used to live at Canyon Lake, TX and he fished (waded) the Guadalupe River below Canyon Dam at Trout Unlimited leases. I think he'd enjoy a little challenge, but he'd be happy just catching some fish.

Any guide recommendations? Wading trip or float trip? Half day or full day? And I realize conditions are always changing but, on the average, is late October too late in the season? Some outfitters online have fly fishing trips year round but I think this forum might be better for honest advice. Thanks for your help!
Fall fishing in Utah in my opinion one of the best times of the year to fly fish. The weather is cooler, the crowds are thiner and larger fish are more cooperative.

Definitely go for full day guided trip the experience learned on the river wont be forgotten.

You wont need to float on the Provo wading will suffice. Also don't forget the Weber River depending on were your coming from SLC its about the same distance as the Provo and there pulling some real big fish out of the Weber.

As far as a guide goes I know there's a few guides on this board maybe they'll chime in. I haven't used a guide in years but I always see Jans Outfitters & Troutbum2. stream side.
[signature]
the trout bum guys were always cool when ever i talked to them or wasa round that area and couldent readily make it to anglers inn (den). here is their website, i would reccomend them.

http://www.troutbum2.com/index.shtml
[signature]
I am going to say "UTAH FLY DRIFTERS" These guys (and gal[cool]) know their stuff, and no egos...[Wink]

http://www.utahflydrifters.com/

Tell Jason, Joni sent ya!
[signature]
you should look at parkcityanglers.com. web site, then call will westrate(owner)you will pound fish!October on the provo rocks,p.s. thats my mug in the picture gallery. Fraser moreland.
[signature]
Well you asked and you got it...LOL
Full reports on the visit and fishing trip no matter what guide service you pick.[Smile]
You obviously can't go wrong[laugh]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Well you asked and you got it...LOL
Full reports on the visit and fishing trip no matter what guide service you pick.[Smile]
You obviously can't go wrong[laugh][/quote]

Thanks everyone for all the great advice! Haven't picked a guide yet but one of them had a great list of "What to Bring", which will really help with packing, as I know nothing about fishing. Really looking forward to our trip- I'll post a report when we get back. Thanks again. [Smile]