Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing impeller on small outboard
I need to replace the impellar on my 1976 4.5 hp Mercury. Any chance someone on here could show me how to do that so that I could do that repair by myself in the future?

Thanks,
[signature]
I was a little nervous when I did my 6 horse Merc kicker this spring. It's really easy after you've done it once and can get your head around what's happening in the lower unit. do a search on you tube, there are several videos of guys doing the job. The biggest issue I had was lining up the push rod that unlatches the motor when it is in gear so it can kick back if it hits an object. If you are really nervous about it I can come up and help you. I've even got a schematic on a newer merc. I'm sure it's not exact, but it's close enough that you can see what is happening down there before you take the bolts off.
[signature]
Thanks I will try that. If I can't find anything that is similar to my small outboard I may need to get back to you and take you up on your gracious offer.
[signature]
Hey Kent, I know this is off topic of this current thread but when I read about your boats speed problem on the Strawberry thread, I thought I would ask here instead of there.
Have you considered buying another prop for your main motor to increase your speed at higher altitude?
[signature]
I have a different prop, but one can only expect so much out of a 1963 outboard.
[signature]
Of course, carrying four large batteries and extra fuel doesn't help much either (except when you need them).
[signature]
I was able to get it torn down last evening. Just had to loosen two nuts and tap it off with a rubber mallet. Thanks for offering to help.
[signature]