Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpearFishing??
So I am a Certified SCUBA diver and was wondering if there were any others out there on this site that did any spearfishing....I did it in Arizona and in the Pacific Ocean but never here in Utah...Does anyone do this if so post here so maybe we can get something together to do some diving? As anyone who dives knows you should always have a buddy while doing this...just in case....I know people who have shot themselves or impaled themselves with there own speargun (though I wouldn't call them the smartest people..) But I am interested to see how many people here are divers?
[signature]
I own all my own gear except for a tank, but still need to finish my certification. I have been spear fishing a couple of times but don't have a spear-gun just a Hawaiian sling.I need to get my certification finished especially since I have been on about 40 dives already,
Jed Burton
[signature]
I have limited experince spear fishing in Utah. I too have speared the pacific. The only place i have speared in Utah is deer creek. Im always willing to go, I suffer from lack of a buddy aswell. I know a few other guys around the valley that hit the creek now and then. I also dont have a dive flag. If your going in the water @ Deer Creek you need a flag its not worth the risk, there are a lot of boats on that lake. For more info do a web search on Spearfishing utah. There is a website but it will just be deleted off this forum if i post it.

On another note if you really want to get into the fish freediving is the way to go. Bubbles scare away most fish worth forking. But there are always carp to be had.
[signature]
If your able to aquire tanks then no big deal really...I should probably re-cert its been 2 years since my last dive but I have a kickin computer so I don't worry too much...I really never dive below 50 ft..I do need to have my reg checked out...I would love to go somewhere here like Willard I used to get some nice kittys in AZ I as well own everything except Tanks..PADI....Put Another Dollar In..
[signature]
I would really like to go here and see about nailing something to the lakebed..I would like to try willard to see how that is...Kittys normally don't freak about the bubbles and you might even get a curious Wiper..I agree on the flag you would have to be pretty dumb to go without one in a lake..I am sure I could aquire one or at least have someone in my boat with one. Deer creek would be neat to do as well though I think it would be colder then Willard but would like to setup something so my gear stops collecting dust.
[signature]
"put another dollar in" is definitely right. I actually have copies of all the padi videos that i watch occasionally to refresh myself. I have a pretty good computer, but it went funny on a trip to mexico last year, but I think it was because I left it in my checked baggage. When I got home it seemed to operate fine. It is a DACOR omni pro so it is obsolete but it is such a great reg and computer that I haven't changed yet. I should probably sell it and get a new one.
Jed
[signature]
I use a summatomo?(sp) Cobra..It is air intagrated and I love it....Can transfer multiple dives to the computer and see about everything I also have a Viper that is my wifes but she got preggo on our pool work and never finished so Its mine till she gets it figured out. I have a seaquest BCD with built in Octo(emergency air) and a apeks regulator with all the trimmings...I used to dive out at the channel Islands every lobster season...wish I had an underwater camera cuz I have definately seen some pretty cool stuff out there. but its hard to carry a speargun, lobster trap bag, lights and camera and still get to catch anything.
[signature]
most of my diving has been in cozumel or texas down in san marcos in the springs. I have a high def sony with underwater camera case. It is a bit of a pain to pack around but it is way cool to look at the video when you are done. I believe my bcd is a seaquest as well. Simple but it works well. I had my secondary air hooked to it but some of the setup was my brothers and he took it with him when he moved so I have to get it back together,
jed Burton
[signature]
This is a Dive Master that I know who dives in utah some. Drop him a line he loves the Scuba.

[url "mailto:alan243@hotmail.com"]alan243@hotmail.com[/url]

his name is Allen
[signature]
Hey, there are more of us out there than you think. We just hide on the side lines, I'm a certified diver here in Utah, I'm a fresh water diver ( yet to do salt water) and are looking for more dive buddies mine cant always go. I keep a 27 ft boat up at the Gorge and we try to be up there every other weekend if at all possible. We take a few pictures when possible but spear most of the time. especially when the fishing is slow. I have every thing but the tanks. Drop me a note and lets go dive.
[signature]
I gotta make a snide comment about your not owning a dive flag. It isn't to do with you but rather the run of the mill idiots that operate boats here in UT. I'm afraid that only about one in ten will recognize a dive flag and only about half of them will know or care enough to respect it.
[signature]
I guess I'm one of those idiots? But can you tell me the difference between a dive flag and a regular ski or wake board flag.
[signature]
A dive flag is the scuba diving symbol. Red flag with a white stripe running from corner to corner. Same rules apply as somebody in a toon or float tube. And if your going to be in the water it's manditory.
[signature]
I totally agree with you, if you never took a boat safty corse or a dive class then you would not no a dive flag if it hit you upside your head. Hopefully this will educate at least one boater out there I always kinda fear stupid boaters but I blame the state for not makeing manditory a boaters safety course they let anybody drive..which is why we have sooo much fun with the power squad comming within 10 feet of us good ol boys fishin.
[signature]