Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROD RACK REVIEW...TUBES
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]In my endless quest to trick out my craft, while keeping the additional weight at a minimum, I keep buying and making new versions of rod racks. I have still not found a perfect solution to the need to hold extra rods safely and securely out of the way, while making them readily accessible when I want to change tackle.[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Here is a review of three options. One is my own homemade rod rack…made from 1”X2” wood and 1 ¼” PVC pipe. It is heavy, but functional, since it was designed to do exactly what I wanted it to do. The second is a very light and inexpensive three-tube holder made by AFI, and available through many sources for about $10. The third is a more costly 4-tube model I got from Cabelas, but is also available elsewhere.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2511330.jpg][/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]HOMEMADE: Cost…about $5 in materials and about 4 hours in cutting, fitting and finishing. 4 rod-holder tubes…1 ¼” inside diameter…11 ¾” long. Width…24 inches. Weight…a heavy 3.2 pounds. Not a good add-on if you need to carry your craft a long distance to launch site. But, the exact size and cut needed for the tackle I use.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]3-TUBE AFI: Cost…$9.99 plus shipping from BassPro. Three rod tubes…1 ¾” inside diameter and 10 ¾” long. Width….12 ½”. Weight…a thrifty 13 ounces. Ideal for minimizing weight but still allowing for multiple rod trips. [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: SCOU1712CustomImage252371.jpg][/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The main downer is that there are reel slots only in the front, and these are too narrow to accommodate anything besides spinning reels. [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2535491.jpg][/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Even after customizing by cutting wider slots and wrapping the slots with duct tape, to keep the reels higher in the tubes, the butts of the rods were subject to getting water soaked, and the reels subject to being dunked by low waves. Because the tubes are bonded to the frame, there is no provision for raising them on the crossbars…to make the reels ride higher above the water.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]4-TUBE FROM CABELAS: Cost…$28 plus shipping.. Four rod tubes…1 ¾” inside diameter and 11 5/8” long. Width…18”. Weight…only 1.8 pounds…about half of the homemade rack.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Shipped in a package 24” X 4”, and must be assembled. An easy job with only a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Reel handle slots both front and back…wide enough to take bait casting as well as spinning. [/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2564475.jpg][/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Front slots too long for float tubing applications, and need some duct tape to keep the reels up higher. I also redrilled the mounting holes and raised the tubes about 2” higher on the frame. Note the use of a mini bungee cord for attaching the transducer rod.[/font][/size]

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2549784.jpg]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Customized 4-tube unit...with raised tubes and duct tape to raise the reel position. Note the use of blue parachute cord and plastic clips to create a quick attach/release option...when run through the available D-rings. Also note the change of location of the red bungee cord for mounting the transducer.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2555449.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here is the actual mount on my Fat Cat, with the transducer rod secured by the red bungee cord. It is quickly attached or detached for transportation or packing, but holds firmly in place for fishing applications. Note the excess space in the tubes, which are larger than necessary for most freshwater tackle.[/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]FINAL OPINION: It is cheaper in materials to make your own, but a lot more time consuming and you end up with a heavier rod rack…with the wood and regular PVC pipe. You can also get just the right inside diameter for the rods you use, and cut the reel handle notches to your own personal preference. If you don’t mind doing some custom recutting of the slots on the 3-hole model, you can have a serviceable and very light holder…but with inside diameter on the tubes that is a bit larger than needed for most rods. The 4-tube system is more serviceable as it is shipped, but still has the large diameter tubes. It is easily customizable to raise the tubes and is much lighter than the homemade version.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]NEXT GENERATION: To convince rod holder manufacturers to make models more suited to floatation fishing…or find lightweight tubes and frame material that can be used to create our own lightweight rod racks, without using wood or heavy PVC.[/font][/size]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,

Did you ever think if trying ABS pipe? It is VERY light due to the cellulose core, and is quite sturdy. The only diSadvantage I can think of right now would be it's tendency to get very hot in warmer sunny climates.....such as the one you live in....but I guess a cheap .99 cent can of white Krylon spray paint could solve that problem.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. I know there just have to be some possibilities out there. I've just been tunnel visioned with PVC for a lot of years and haven't done my homework.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Steve, welcome to our forum. Why not register and log in...and take advantage of some of the other services we provide?

I am impressed by your rod rack creation. It looks like you like PVC too. My only concern would be the weight factor, if you needed to carry your setup any distance to the water. And, by the way, where do you do most of your fishing and for what species? Living in Riverside, I'm guessing you hit Perris a bit. I used to live in Riverside myself, back in the late sixties. I also spent time on Arrowhead and Big Bear...and the Salton Sea.

On that rack you made, I might suggest that you include a length of "fun noodle"...that floating stuff they sell for kids to play with in swimming pools. It would not add much to the overall weight, but could help offset some of the weight when you have the unit strapped on and in the water...kind of like an outrigger. Otherwise, I can see a potential for pulling your craft over to the right.

That brings up another question. How do you like that "Water Skeeter"? Some folks love them. Others say they are not too stable, with their banana shaped air chambers. You sit up very high out of the water and this sometimes creates the potential for rollover, if you do not pay attention to maintaining your center of gravity.

I'm predicting that after working with your nifty creation that you will do as I have been doing. That is to try to scale back in terms of bulk and weight. Let us know how your maiden voyage goes.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Steve, what size and type battery are you using, that you have to have an outrigger to carry it? I have been using the 6.5 Amp/Hr SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries for quite awhile, and they are both light and do not need to be kept upright, as with the liquid acid. See the pic below of my battery and how I have it rigged to my finder and transducer.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage154918.jpg]

I really envy you the close proximity to Perris. Fantastic bass and great sunfish too.

What kind of fish finder are you using on your tube?
[signature]
Hey tubedude

I am registered as Taipan, it’s a name from my days in Vietnam.

Check it out at [url "http://www.135ahc.com/"][#0000ff]www.135ahc.com[/#0000ff][/url]

About the water Seeker, I have had many and it is a Cadillac,

I have seen the Navigator split at the seems, it’s hard to air up.

The water seeker is a breeze to air up.

I love the thing, it’s the next best thing to owning a Bass boat.

I do sit higher out of the water, flipping over I don’t think I could,

anything is possible if you try hard enough.

I almost did slip out of it one day when I fell asleep.

My Doctors often give me Morphine for pain.

Please don’t ask.

If I am going to die it will be in a float tube fishing.

That’s all I got to say about that.

Now you already know I an nuts and a eccentric who loves to fish.

Salt water fresh water fly fishing stream or lake I don’t really care.

I’ll go at the drop of a hat.

I’ll drop every thing to help a friend in need.

And give you everything ZI own if your house just burned down.

That’s me.

Just a fishing NUT.
[signature]
[url "http://www.humminbird.com/matrixpublic.asp?ID=265"]http://www.humminbird.com/matrixpublic.asp?ID=265[/url]

I have a Matrix 10 from Humminbird.

the stupid case is what takes up the room.

I am looking for a 7.5 amp gel cell.

Cabelas has one for 29 dollars with a charger.
[signature]
On your fish finder is it a single beam, I want to go get a wide or triple beam.

I wanted to know if it would be worth it?
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Steve, welcome aboard...officially. I like your name. That's a pretty nasty snake, as I recall. Hope you are as deadly at fishing as the snake is at biting. Anyway, it sounds like you are just whacko enough to fit right in with our motley crowd. I am also a multi-species, go anywhere at anytime kinda fisherman. I have dunked my donuts all over the country, in fresh water and salt...using everything from fly tackle to heavy stuff for salt water bad boys.

That battery and charger combo from Cabelas is a good way to go. That was my first gel cel purchase a few years ago. Now I go to different shows and watch for good buys on smaller and more powerful batteries. I also have an 800 milliamp charger I got at a battery specialty store near where I live in Phoenix.

My Cuda is a single beam, with up to 60 degree cone angle (adjustable on the on-screen menu). I am still evaluating it, but like it overall for float tubing applications. It does everything I need, in terms of showing bottom structure, fishy icons, etc. I also like the onscreen temperature readout. I don't need a speed indicator, since I can't get my Fat Cat up on plane.

Having the "sidefinder" feature could be helpful. Especially if you fish for suspending species...like crappies, school bass, trout, sunfish, etc. I do not know anyone who has used them successfully on a tube, however. That may be my next adventure in field-testing. Is it worth the additional cost? That is always a matter of individual opinion. But, we fishermen types usually become pretty adept at "justifying" our indulgences.

Again, welcome to the fold. We can have a lotta fun here.
[signature]
I am going to Phiniox this week end to pick up my daughter.

she is is visiting my brotherinlaw.

Can you let me know where the batery store is and witch battery to get.

I just drove all over Riverside looking for one( 12 volt battery)

I would love to meet you sometime and go fishing.

Have float tube will travle.

I thought of a moto for you

it goes like this>>

[font "Times New Roman"]Fish tremble at the mention of my name[/font][/url]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Now that you are a registered member, you can send me Private Messages by first clicking on my name in any post...and then at the bottom of my profile page there is a button for "Send Private Message". I'll send you one, with my Phoenix phone number on it. Give me a call when you hit town and we will chat and/or get together.

First, here's a link to Batteries Plus. [url "http://www.batteriesplus.com/"]http://www.batteriesplus.com/[/url] They have several stores in the Phoenix area and also some in California. If you go to the website, they have a button for locations, by state. There have to be a lot of stores in the "Inland Empire" area that carry the gel cell batteries, with all of the new equipment that uses them.

Most outlets that carry a line of the 12V gel cell batteries have a full range of amp sizes, so you can decide how big you want and how much you want to spend. That battery and charger from Cabelas ain't a bad deal. However, the battery is about half again as heavy as the compact model I am using that I got at a local gold prospecting show.

The Cabelas unit weighs 5.6 pounds. My Panasonic 5 AH model LC-R125P1 weighs out at only 3.5 pounds. I think I got two of them on a show special for $15. That was about two years of heavy use ago. My Eagle Cuda 168 only draws about 1/2 amp, so theoretically I could run it about 10 hours without recharging. Six or seven hours straight is about my limit, so I have never run out of power.

Watch for your Private Message.
[signature]