Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wading staff
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]When wading do you carry a staff? [/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]If so is it collapsible or one piece?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/center]
[signature]
ive seen alot of people use them mainly guys who are new to the area and have never waded these watters before...i think using your feet to feel for drop offs is a little more reliablebecouse you can acctually feel the contour of the bottom
[signature]
I guess I am one of the ABSOLUTELY on the wading staff. Feet are good but current can sweep you right off of them.
And yes mine is collapsable.
[signature]
by collapseable do you mean a fold up one.. if so then no I dont use one of those.. I have a wally world special that collapses into itself.. have not used it a while though..

MacFly
[signature]
Little compass in the end? And a holster? I have that Wally World one..best $24. I ever spent.
[signature]
lost the compass.. no holster.. mine is a one piece.. look like a ski pole but you can adjust its length pulling or pushing the pieces together and then twist it tight .. [url "http://www.rei.com/product/784270"]similar to this one but at a walmart price.. LOL[/url]..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Mine is like this with a belt holster:

http://www.amazon.com/Zephr-Wading-Staff...797&sr=1-2
[signature]
I had a feeling that was what you were referring to.. looking back maybe I should of waited and gotten one like that but have to say the staff I have has served me well.. especially that time I pulled a thigh muscle.. if not for that staff would of had a bigger problem getting back to my truck..

MacFly
[signature]
You are probably right. Sometimes it is really hard to separate the sections on mine. I leave it connected and drag it behind me anyway, so the fact it collapses is only a transporting advantage.
[signature]
Ive heard great things about the collapseable wading staffs like the one you have.. especially the the easier transport of it.. I wish I had one as well as the one I have .. maybe one day.. [Wink]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
thats the one i have, i just jam it inside my waders in its little sleeve, i love it, and ALWAYS have it on me. i can extend it and just let it float behinde me.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Any time I enter the water I have my one piece staff attached to a retractable line at the back of my vest. When wading in trails along side of me and when needed I just grab it and pull it into position. let it go and it returns to my side. I sure find it most helpful when crossing shallow waters with a strong current. I hate to count the number of times it has saved me from swimming with the fishies. I bought mine at Sports Chalet in their hiking gear section. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hey mi amigo .. just curious when you say one piece staff are you talking a wooden one.. or metal.. do you happen to have a picture of it??

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Hi Mac sounds like you are feeling better. Great!
Actually it is an aluminum walking staff made by Tracks. Light weight but very sturdy. I attach it to my rear vest ring via a 3' Gear Keeper.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[inline ws.jpg]
[signature]
yes I am feeling much better.. the voice is still a little raspy but Im making it okay.. thank you for asking..

is that a one piece staff.. I dont think you said..

the one I have is similar but its three pieces that slide up and down to make it longer or shorter.. the next time we meet up Ill try to remember to bring it along..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Yes it is a one piece staff. I looked at the folding & adjustable telescopic staffs but felt that they weren't as rigid at the one that I finally bought.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
it looked like it was but I was not sure.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]