Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Final Version" Rod holder - Gauging interest for production?
So, I think I'm nearly 100% satisfied with the design and function of my rod holder. I've made a few changes since my last posting, and I think it's quite a jump better than before.

Changes are:
1) Much nicer attachment at the D-rings using a heat molded receptacle and pivot pin and cotter system
2) The stand-off arms unscrew for ease of packing.
3) The "third-leg" now pivots and is adjustable. This allows you to set whatever lean angle you want to suit your preferences.

Nice pic from this morning:

[Image: DSCF9852.jpg]

Photo of the rack attached to my FCIV DX:

[Image: DSCF9855.jpg]

Another angle:

[Image: DSCF9856.jpg]

One more:

[Image: DSCF9857.jpg]

Check out the new attachments. Sweet if I do say so myself. Also, you can see the cord that sets the lean angle:

[Image: DSCF9859.jpg]

The whole shebang off the boat:

[Image: DSCF9861.jpg]

Dismantled and ready to pack up small:

[Image: DSCF9862.jpg]

I didn't take any pics but there's a final bungee from a lower D-ring to the bottom of the third leg to keep the rack from blowing over top of you in a stiff crosswind.

SO, any more bright ideas out there?

That said, I'm wondering if anyone would like one built for them? I do value my fishing time so it ain't going to be anywhere near the price of the parts. Also, consider all of the fixturing, gluing, and machining that goes into this and you can get an idea of how much work these are to build.

So far I've built them for FCIV's and SFC's, but any tube with a pair of D-rings down the side should be doable. I just need the measurement between the two and the size of the D-ring to make a heating buck for the attachment point.

Give me a holler or post up here to let me know if it's worth it for me to do a run of parts needed (tube sections, ABS receptacles, bungee ball thingies, etc) and order up the hardware.

Oh, and one more thing, it wouldn't be too hard to transfer the basic design to a 'toon as well so keep that in mind...

Thanks!

_SHig
[signature]
I really like you rod rack! It was the inspiration for mine!
[signature]
Shig, I have to ask you cause I have had my rods all in a row like that before.
Don't you get the tips tangled at times?
I had to go with the fan position and no problems in the worst of winds.
[signature]
Do you troll with this rig? If you hooked bottom or had a big fish hit would it stay in place and the rod not come out? Ron
[signature]
FG: Nope, the tips generally don't tangle. The rods pretty much stay parallel because of the tension on the keeper bungies.

IDRon: Nope, it's designed to be a rack, not for trolling. Generally if I'm trolling a fly rod it's one at a time and in my hand. I'd miss to many fish otherwise, and having the rods straight up like that wouldn't work anyway.

_SHig
[signature]
I think you just left the normal PVC junkies in the dust. You're set up looks nice and professional. Congrats.
[signature]
[quote mojorizing]I think you just left the normal PVC junkies in the dust. You're set up looks nice and professional. Congrats.[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I was shootin' for. I like to keep things clean and functional. Just wished that PVC came in more than your basic white... Now to figure out how to get that printing off of it!

_SHig
[signature]
[quote SHigSpeed][quote mojorizing]I think you just left the normal PVC junkies in the dust. You're set up looks nice and professional. Congrats.[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I was shootin' for. I like to keep things clean and functional. Just wished that PVC came in more than your basic white... Now to figure out how to get that printing off of it!

_SHig[/quote]

AQUA NET Hair spray. It does amazing things! But only Aqua Net.
Scary to think I was putting that stuff on my hair...LOL
Or lighter fluid.
Either one...keep the flames away[shocked]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][quote SHigSpeed][quote mojorizing]I think you just left the normal PVC junkies in the dust. You're set up looks nice and professional. Congrats.[/quote]

_SHig[/quote]

AQUA NET Hair spray. It does amazing things! But only Aqua Net.
Scary to think I was putting that stuff on my hair...LOL
Or lighter fluid.
Either one...keep the flames away[shocked][/quote]

Nice! I knew someone had to know this.

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Acetone does the best job, but is also dangerous stuff to work with.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also use the thinner for my vinyl jig paints. Again, powerful stuff and worthy of respect.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Very nice work.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Fingernail Polish remover?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Polish remover has acetone in it, but not full strength. But, I'll bet it would work.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
SHigSpeed I notice it folds up very well indeed. Neat idea that.
[signature]
That is super-sick... My favorite part is how efficient it is, how little PVC you used. And I like how it looks like it's kept stable by its own weight. Definitely one for the "best of..."

Making a production model rod rack is a good idea. I get asked about rod racks for tubes all the time.
[signature]
You have obviously put a lot of work into designing this holder. NICE!! I'd bet it would be marketable. ole giller
[signature]
Thats got to be one of the nicest rod holds that i have ever seen on here, almost look like you went out and bought it like that. good job!
[signature]
SHIG..

have a curiosity question..

you mentioned in this post trying to possilby make this a marketable product...

if that were to happen what would you charge for making one?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]