Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foot control trolling motor
I have a question about an foot control trolling motor. Because my boat is a closed bow boat I mounted my electric foot control motor on the back of the boat. I was told by the salesman that as long as I used the head 180 degrees from normal position that I would be fine and it would push the boat instead of pulling the boat. Well guess what it didn't work. Has anybody had and experience with this or is it just the dump captain of the boat???[pirate][pirate][pirate]
Hmmm, I suppose it would work a little. Think of it like this; If you were to take a single prop cessna and reverse the propeller, would it fly backwards?
The prop on the motor is designed to go forward, of course you can go reverse but not nearly as efficient. The cessna would go for a bit but slowly lose speed and crash. Much like the deep cell battery powering the motor.
Your best bet would be to mount a handle type motor on the stern of the boat and operate motor by hand in a forward position. Of course, without knowing all the details, you may be able to do this with your current motor with a motor mount.
[signature]
No its not the Captain, its just physics.

Its easier to pull the boat than to push it. Easier on the motor and less energy used saving battery. If your just trolling then it may work ok if you have a enough thrust but if you want to use it to get in and out of tight weedeey banks then it may not. You will find that you dont have the control trying to push the stern of the boat around like you can the lighter bow.

[Smile]
[signature]