Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8/17/09 FLSP REPORT
Decided to go see how the pond is doing. First time this year since they started cat fish. I used to go every day before school last catfish season. Caught up on all the news since I have been there last with the other early fishermen. I only had one good bite and caught one fish.

I decided to check my bait since my bobber floated up a bit. I use a bobber as a strike/bite indicator like the other old timers. I think it helps let the kitties think they got a free snack and can run off with it until there is no more slack :]. So I was checking my bait and I felt something on there. Gave it a jerk to set the hook and reeled in lightly and slow as he wasnt fighting back hard. He floated up to the surface and I reeled him the rest of the way in. Some one there had a scale and he weighed in at 5lbs.

It was a pretty slow day tho. Nice to be back on the pond.

P.s I am not sure why my shirt is tucked in the front in the picture.
[signature]
nice sized cat. Is that the size they stock it with?!
[signature]
Thats probaly the biggest cat i seen pulled out of that park good job, If u dont mind me asking what kind of bait did u use? the ndow webpage says the last stocking of cats were avg lengh of 18 in they put 400 in the main pond peace
[signature]
I use a hot dog and marshmellow on a j hook. On the other hook I use king kat chicken blood stink bait. I caught that feller on both hooks at the same time. He was greedy I guess :p The local fishermen that's there all the time said that this cat I caught was probably in there for at least three years. He also said that this summer the cats arent as big as last summer. They are buying them from a different distrubtor in Arkansas. I only seen a couple fish besides mine and they were kinda small for bringing home. Any bait works for cats. Its all luck of being there when they are hungry. I have caught them on orange powerbait and salmon eggs in the winter fishing for trout.
[signature]
Nice cat! Sometimes at Lake Mead I'll lay a chovie on the bottom for cats. Never caught a cat as big as that though! Great job.
BaySport
[signature]
good cat man! i seen a growth chart on bill dance's website once that you use to determine how old cats are. when i lived in desert shores i fished for cats bout 3 times a week. i tried everything. and the number one bait i caught the most on the quickest was just plain raw chicken. just like a desent size chunk of a thigh with meat skin and fat. the skin holds it on better. and i left some out to spoil sometimes and it did not seam to do as well as the fresh raw chicken did.
[signature]
Thats a pretty big cat. Did you eat the desert shores ones? Is that from desert shores?
[signature]
no i never ate them, a guy that lived with us for a while made me give them to him sometimes but i just tossed them all back. our house was right on one of the lakes so i caught that one late at night so i took him up next to the house for light to take pictures real quick and then tossed him back
[signature]
no fish at floyd lamb today. but we found this owl. something was up with him. he looked healthy just acting weird. he kept puttin his head down and shaking it like he was sayin no. sucks, he is an awesome lookin bird. hope he is okay.
[signature]
[quote montananinnv]no fish at floyd lamb today. but we found this owl. something was up with him. he looked healthy just acting weird. he kept puttin his head down and shaking it like he was sayin no. sucks, he is an awesome lookin bird. hope he is okay.[/quote]

Dam never seen a owl there before weird ? have seen bats though anyways where u fishing for cats or the back pond? I was there a couple days ago I landed a 1# LMbass on the back pond using my secret lure[cool] that sucks that u got skunked [pirate] oh well theres always next time peace
[signature]
The owl was shaking his head because he knew that you werent going to catch anything. It has been tough fishing this season for the cats. It has been realllllly slow. Ben one of the older timers has only been catching one or two per day and he gets there before the sun does.

I wonder what the carp in there will bite on. From my understanding they are different from lake mead carps. I wonder if they would bite on corn and they way I can wrestle something with out waiting all day for one fish. I never have seen any one use corn so I also wonder if I would catch some cats that way. I wonder if it would be bad to chum some corn in the water since they say corn is bad for fish I wouldnt want to do it and be harmful to them.
[signature]
yeah me and my girlfriend were fishing the bottom pond for largemouth. she hooked two but they both got off. i just bought a baitcaster reel a few days ago and was really just tryin to get used to it and get it adjusted right so i would quit makin rat nests with it. i have it down now though. going to sand hollow in utah next weekend with it. we caught some tiny tiny cats a lorenzi park tonight on night crawlers. i hope they are from this springs spawn and not what they are stockin it with cause they were like 5 inches only. we catch cats of every shape and size at hole 33 when we go, no matter what bait we use.
[signature]
[quote lvrider]The owl was shaking his head because he knew that you werent going to catch anything. It has been tough fishing this season for the cats. It has been realllllly slow. Ben one of the older timers has only been catching one or two per day and he gets there before the sun does.

I wonder what the carp in there will bite on. From my understanding they are different from lake mead carps. I wonder if they would bite on corn and they way I can wrestle something with out waiting all day for one fish. I never have seen any one use corn so I also wonder if I would catch some cats that way. I wonder if it would be bad to chum some corn in the water since they say corn is bad for fish I wouldnt want to do it and be harmful to them.[/quote]

Yeah catfishin has been sucky, and yes it is bad to chum in small ponds the other day I seen some dipsh*t chum a full can on the back pond by the stone benchs it really makes me mad. And since when is there carp at floyd lamb????when & what pond did u see or catch them in??? the whole time ive been going there never heard of or seen carp come out of there thanks
[signature]
[quote montananinnv]yeah me and my girlfriend were fishing the bottom pond for largemouth. she hooked two but they both got off. i just bought a baitcaster reel a few days ago and was really just tryin to get used to it and get it adjusted right so i would quit makin rat nests with it. i have it down now though. going to sand hollow in utah next weekend with it. we caught some tiny tiny cats a lorenzi park tonight on night crawlers. i hope they are from this springs spawn and not what they are stockin it with cause they were like 5 inches only. we catch cats of every shape and size at hole 33 when we go, no matter what bait we use.[/quote]

Amen to that and good luck at sand hollow have fun with all the power boaters, jetskis,pontoons the power squadron was out in force when we went a couple months ago
[signature]
I have seen huge carp at floyd lamb. They are in Every pond but the smallest one... I only first noticed them during their spawn in the early summer. There were like 20-30 of em right next to shore in the back pond splashing and making all kind of noise. They have to be the loudest spawning fish I have ever seen/heard. I also saw one on the top pond that had to be at least 10 lbs and was completely orange over by the reeds.
[signature]
[quote Sil240sxrwd]I have seen huge carp at floyd lamb. They are in Every pond but the smallest one... I only first noticed them during their spawn in the early summer. There were like 20-30 of em right next to shore in the back pond splashing and making all kind of noise. They have to be the loudest spawning fish I have ever seen/heard. I also saw one on the top pond that had to be at least 10 lbs and was completely orange over by the reeds.[/quote]

thanks for the info bro[Wink], havent seen any FLSP reports from u lately just waiting for trout season like me[fishin]
[signature]
Just haven't really been out there in a while. I did just get back last night from a weekend fly fishing trip in Utah. Fished Otter creek and the East fork of the Sevier river. Hooked up on so many Browns yesterday I lost count. I will post up pics as soon as my cousin sends em to me.
[signature]
[quote Sil240sxrwd]Just haven't really been out there in a while. I did just get back last night from a weekend fly fishing trip in Utah. Fished Otter creek and the East fork of the Sevier river. Hooked up on so many Browns yesterday I lost count. I will post up pics as soon as my cousin sends em to me.[/quote]

Cool sounds like a blast, show us the brownies please[cool]
[signature]