Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undecided, need help
I'm stuck between three different pistols and can't make my mind up which way to go. I want a .380 because of the size and weight. It would be a nice carry pistol when i'm in shorts and t shirt mode during the summer. The three guns i'm debating about are as follows:

Ruger LCP- $365.00
Taurus PT 738- $330.00
Sig Sauer P 238- $435.00

Right off the bat, you can notice the price difference. The sig is a bit heavier at 15 oz, as the other two come in at around 10 oz. The Taurus has the transferable lifetime warranty, the other two warranty only to the original buyer. All are .380 caliber. I've been leaning towards the Sig simply because it's a Sig. I've got the SP 2340 and it defines what a quality firearm should be. Flawless execution every time. I've got a Taurus, which is a great gun, but I haven't had it long enough to build that same confidence with it. I've never owned a ruger automatic, so I have no experiance with them. So what do you guys think?

Taurus has the best warranty, hands down. Sig probably has the best name and is known for making high quality firearms. Ruger's LCP has had great reviews and I know people that have them and like it. Finding info on the Taurus is hard, as it's a new gun for 2009. You'll have to go to the website and look at the link that says " new for 2009."
[signature]
Come on guys.................86 views as of now, and not a single thought? Not a helping hand out there at all? I find it hard to believe all 86 viewers were all lurkers. Come on, show a little love to a fellow gun lover.
[signature]
Don't have any of the guns listed but I do have a Taurus 908. Have never had a single problem with the gun. Wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy another Taurus.
[signature]
10-4 on the taurus. I actually got pointed in the direction of a good deal on a Taurus PT 709 Slimline. It's a new Taurus gun in a 9 mm. It's under 400 bucks brand new. I'm getting this one for 315.00 plus tax. It's got a single clip through it. That's a pretty darn good deal.

[url "http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/images-imagesmain-709b.jpg"][Image: images-imagesmain-709b.jpg][/url]
[signature]
That one is even smaller then mine.[crazy] Hope you have as much fun with it as I have with mine.
[signature]
I dont own either one of those guns either. However, I would try and shoot both to see the feel of them. Probably not an option though. The taurus is coming on in the past few years as a quality gun for the money. Sig is proven like you said. I dont think youll go wrong either way. Buy the taurus and then use the money saved to buy ammo or supplies to reload ammo.
[signature]
Is the$365 the actual price that your local shops are charging for the LCP? IN my area, they are selling for (like) $249 new and $229 used/excellent. Even though Ruger has been well known for helping people who buy used Rugers. It's something that you should shoot before buying into, though. I personally would avoid the Keltecs and Rugers, simply because I can't shoot them well (not even well enuogh for defense).

I know the warranty sounds good on the Taurus, but my experiences with their customer service have been very poor[crazy]
[signature]
I've been leaning more and more towards the Sig. With the other guns, it's a toss up. With the Sig, i've yet to see any questionable comments at all. But, that's a Sig for you. They have a good reputation for a reason. I'm thinking it's going to be worth the extra bill.
[signature]
[quote Tarpon4me]I've been leaning more and more towards the Sig. With the other guns, it's a toss up. With the Sig, i've yet to see any questionable comments at all. But, that's a Sig for you. They have a good reputation for a reason. I'm thinking it's going to be worth the extra bill.[/quote]

The only thing with the Sig, is that it's single action only- which is going to mean carrying it cocked and locked (hot mag, hot chamber, hammer back, safety engaged) if you want it to be immediately ready. Something to keep in mind.
[signature]
My PT709 is single action only, but i'm OK with that.
[signature]