Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starring to get an itch
Another 10 more days and it will be September....

and hmmmmm

Going to have to go try the wadders out soon...

Have to find my wading stick.....

Put new line on the salmon reels....

Maybe tie a few flies up.....

I need some more heavy split shot....

Buy some bullets for the gun... (early doe season)

What's on your list of things to do???
[signature]
got every thing but the licenses.
[signature]
it has been a long summer hasnt it..they all are..ill be up north looking far salmon the next two weekends then il start having fun here..i still need a new rod and a complete restock..gander mt..will be glad to see me
[signature]
Going over to Tippy today , meeting up with a couple guys from work .
Wanted to go right after work yesterday but had some Daddy stuff to do today .
[signature]
ill be on the betsie the next two weekends...let me know how you do at tippie this will tell me how good ill do...if your interested one of those two weekends take a trip to the betsie which is only 30 mile north of manistee..i can play the guide i know thell be fish there..have you ever heard of a town called bualah
[signature]
Here's the skinny from tippy during the 22 hours I was fishing it .
The salmon showed up on august 6th , shortly thereafter the D.N.R closed off the weir .
The few (very few ) fish that are there are between 15 and 20+ lbs.
I did see one 22" brown taken from the cable area on the Welston side .

Salmon ;the limited numbers that are there hit Glo-bugs and chartreuse streamers with flash did well at night with a few spawn bags getting hammered from time to time .
During daylight rapalas (green and red )did get a few strikes at the coffer spillway topside but all fishing came to a halt around 10 a.m. on sunday , I stayed untill 3 p.m. .
I only seen one salmon landed the entire time I was there , a young lady on the Brethren side had that luck .

A couple catch and release steelhead were caught in the fast water below the dam on either white or red woolly buggers in the early a.m. hours (pre dawn and dawn ).I didn't see any crome in the coffer area .

The Brethren /Welston wars were in full swing with lead slingers casting over anyones line that yelled fish on
The Brethren side had the most lead slinging anglers doing a great deal of fishing damage .
Welston side had it's lead slingers crowding out the bobber and bottom bouncers whenever they could .

While taking a break at the one holer I did spot a older SUV cruising the parking lot and saw the passenger jumping out and looking into vehicles . I yelled at them when they started to rifle threw a pick-up trucks bed and they took off . I did get the license plate and reported it to the state police .

Combat fishing at the dam will continue untill someone gets shot , then maybe the DNR will finally step in and do a few patrolls .

Yep , i'de be interested in hitting the betsie [cool].
[signature]
LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR INTERESTED IN GOING..I CAN GIVE DETAILED DIRECTIONS ,,IM GOING TO BE THERE AT LEAST 1 DAY THIS WEEKEND ..AND ILL BE THERE THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND..LET ME KNOW WHAT DAYS ARE BEST..IF ANYBODY ELSE IS INTERESTED LET ME KNOW..DONT WANTA LEAVE ANYBODY OUT
[signature]
Thinking I'll be there..... just say when and where.
[signature]
IT WILL PROBLY BE SUNDAY THIS WEEKEND..GOTTO WORK TILL 5 AM SAT MORN..NEED A LITTLE REST..IT WILL BE A GOE AND SEE TRIP DONT KNOW IF THELL BE THERE FOR SURE.. THEN ILL FOR SURE BE THERE NEXT WEEKEND..LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR AVALIBLE WE COULD RUN UP THERE TOGETHER..WE LIVE CLOSE..JUST SEND A PM
[signature]
You guys set the time and i'll try to be there . it takes me about an hour and 45 minutes to get to tippy .
what highway are you heading up on ?
[signature]
it will probly be early sun morn..just a guess not for sure..havnt heard back..i take 1-31 up to 55highway ..it goes through cadilac and mesic..dont know if you know it...hope to have more details later..
[signature]
Have a babysitter all lined up and we are a go for Sunday.

Wifey and I will be going to church on Sunday and then heading towards tippy right afterwards. Not sure on the different names on each side but if I say we will be on the side with ALL THE DAM STAIRS I'm sure you will know where we will be.

We will both have red white blue ballcaps on so you'll be able to recongize us, be sure to come over and say hi. (It's Mike & Val) Should be there approx 1:30-2pm and mostlikey fish till dark.
(anyone coming have an extra pair of wadders the wifey could borrow??)
[signature]
I DONT KNOW IF WE GOT THE NAMES CROSSED OR NOT BUT I PLANED ON GOING TO THE BETSIE RIVER..AT HOMESTEAD DAM..ABOUT 45 MINUTES NORTH OF TIPPIY DAM..LET ME KNOW WHATS UP
[signature]
oooops.... Thought we were talking about Tippy. Guess it dosen't matter to me which one we hit (what's another 45 mins after you've already driven over 2hrs)

Where were you going Lone ?

I've never fished the Betsie. Is the dam fishable without waders there?
[signature]
Whatever you guys decide is good with me !
I'm pretty sure i'll be hitting tippy sometimes this weekend either way .
I lost a guide on my Jim Grandt XLH70 Salmon rod last saturday night and have to send it back for repairs so , i'm using my St. Croix steelhead rods as back up rods.
I hope they hold up for the fish .

My salmon rod (XS296SLM- {9'-6" / Lite Steelhead/ LineWt. 4-8} - (Mich) with the wood handle .
[url "http://www.grandtrods.com/store/products.asp?pg=11"]http://www.grandtrods.com/store/products.asp?pg=11[/url]

If you guys do go to tippy that SUV that was getting into the beds of the pick-up trucks , can't remember the color of their rust bucket but their plate number was BSX 8413.

You guys come up with a game plan and i'm in [Wink] .
[signature]
THE DAM IS FISHABLE WITHOUT WADDERS BUT THE BEST HOLES ARE DOWN STREAM FROM THE DAMTHE WHOLE RIVER IS WADABLE..ITS ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE ROUGE RIVER..IF THE KID DONT GO I HAVE AN EXTRA SET..BUT THERE SIZE 12 BOOT..YOU CAN MANAGE THIS RIVER IN HIP BOOTS IF YOUR CAREFULL...DONT KNOW WHEN YOUR LEAVING IF WE WANT TO HEAD UP YOGETHER OR NEED DIRECTIONS..I WAS GOING TO LEAVE ABOUT 4 AM SUN MORN..CAN REARANGE PLANS...I STILL HAVE MONDAY..LET ME KNOW BY TOMMARROW
[signature]
DEFINATLY SUNDAY..DONT GOT AN EXACT TIME...IF THERES A WAY YOU CAN RUN M55 ACROSS IT WILL TAKE YOU RIGHT THERE..GOES THROUGH CADILAC THEN MESIC AND A LITTLE TOWN CALLED COPMISH..DEAD ENDS INTO 31NORTH OF MANISTEE..THEN YOU TURN NORTH AND YOU WILL BE IN THE BULAH ABOT 2 MILES FROM THE DAM..JUST GIVING YOU AN IDEA WE CAN MEET UP ANYWERE ALONG THAT ROUTE
[signature]
I have ;
Rubber chest waders mens size 10 boot.
Breathable waders , stocking foot , mens size 9-10 ,
an extra pair of wading shoes mens size 9 or10 ,
Extra vest , fully stocked .
I'm about 5'-9" , 145 lbs. slender build .
Will she fit into any of those ?
[signature]

Hey guys,
Make sure you dress for the weather , it's suposed to be cooler this weekend high 60's and on and off scattered showers .

I have a silver silverado pick-up truck with a BFT sticker in the back window passenger side , shouldn't be too hard to spot when we look for each other .

I may or may not have the boat with me . It's a long flatbottom with a black merc on it and yes it has BFT stickers near the craft numbers .

I'll P.M. you guys my cell phone number for when you get close to the meeting area .
It dosen't get signal at my house , too far from a tower where I live .
I should be at Tippy saturday night and most of the morning hours , may or may not head to betsie before you arrive , depends on how the fish are doing . The cell phone should pick up at tippy , just try to call it when you are an hour away from where ever we are going to meet up at .
[signature]
She's only a buck 35 so yup she'll fit into those. The breathable's with shoes would prob be best. Vest would be good too. She already has her own rod so she's all set there. THANKS !!! [Smile][Smile][Smile]

Meeting up and sharing gas sounds like a really really good idea but there's "NO WAY IN HELL" she's going to get up that early. I'm thinking we will hit the road about 8-9am which means we will be in the area just in time for lunch.

I'll look at a few maps (and these posts) and try to figure out how to get up there. Cell phones work on the river up there? We can call when we get close.
[signature]