Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do I start?
I would like to learn how to fly fish. I'm an avid fisherman- mostly for warm water fish although I do fish for trout sometimes. I fish out of a float tube most of the time. I fish streams and lakes with flies using spinning tackle. I have developed a sudden interest in learning to use a fly rod. Where should I begin? Lessons?
[signature]
Best bet would be to hire a guide or find someone who can teach you how to properly cast. Your local library & the internet also a great resources. Dont know how much you know about Flyfishing but heres a good link to help you get started:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=7...011&bhcp=1

http://www.flyfishingforbeginners.com/

(hopefully the link dont get deleted) [Wink]
[signature]
Where do you live? It seems that I am always getting someone started fly-fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the links. I'll do all the research I can-
[signature]
I live near Fillmore, but I work shiftwork in Salt Lake. I stay in Provo when I'm working. I know, it sounds worse than it is. The upside is I have alot of time to fish.
[signature]
I agree with learn to cast, but not that big of deal. For rivers I teach roll casting. In fact even shore fishing. It is much easier to learn and it doesn't matter what is behind you. Not much different than spin casting.
The difference in ff and spin is the line does the distance not the bubble or lure...soooooo, get the BEST line you can afford.
I feel the LINE is one of the most Important things in fly fishing next to right fly and right presentation. Rod will be personal choice and reel will basically be a place to hold line although a far drag system will be needed as fish will run.
One thing...you can only practice roll casting on water (correctly at any rate),
so how cool is that...I have to go PRACTICE!!!!![cool]

Allot on here fish the Provo (myself included) so give a shout when you are going to be there.
[signature]
Check these out:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/PWS-Enterpri...ec0Q2em322

I have a pair and they are very well built. Like I said, they were originally much higher priced but the company closed. Something about the name being copy write or something.
[signature]
First off, don't get overwhelmed with all the tackle, gear, techniques, and flies out there! There is a lot of crap in fly fishing, most of it not needed to catch fish. Stick to the basics, and you'll be successfull. Then once you get the nack for it, you can grow and mature in it.

Basic Rod: (don't go out and buy a $1000 rod to begin with!) Try a reddington, pflueger, or okuma rod. 4-5 wt 8ft for streams, 6-7 wt 9ft for lakes.

Basic Reel: (don't go out and buy a $300 reel to beging with!) You can match the rod with the reel if you like (same company), or not, doesn't matter. Get the right wt reel to match the wt of the rod. Disc drag system, and you are good.

Basic Line: Sinking for lakes when stripping buggers (Type I slow sinking, Type II intermediate, Type III fast), and floating for streams.

Basic leader/tippet: Get a leader 3X-4X tapered (mono or fluro) and a variety of tippets sizes (2X-6X). Just remember, the bigger the fish you are after, water clarity, application, and fly will determine the size of leader and tippet you will use. The smaller the number before the X, the larger the line (lb).

Basic flies: Stream fishing, use a bead head hares ear, bead head pheasant tail, or a bead head prince nymph sizes #16-#20. Lake fishing, use a bead head black woolybugger, bead head brown wooly bugger, or a bead head hares ear sizes #8-#10. Always fish two flies in tandem style.

Basic set-up: Stream nymph fishing, two flies (tandem) split shot up 6 inches from FIRST fly (size determined by water depth/flow), and a strike indicator generally 5-6 feet above (depending on water depth). Lake fishing, nothing more than two flies (tandem) and sinking line. Strip back, changing stripping patterns till you find what is working.

Basic Gear: A fly vest, forceps, clippers, fly weights, floatant, strike indicators (thingamabobber, my favorite), net, boxes, and flies. You are in business. Don't forget your camera for those Hawgs!

Basic Cast: 1) Get line out 2) lift rod up and towards you 3) quickly flip rod back out and down towards location of desired cast. Whala! The roll cast! Easy as can be!

You can now go anywhere you want and catch fish fly fishing. Surely there are millions of other things that we could go over, but those are the basics. They will catch you fish! GOOD LUCK!!!

-Rich
[signature]
Thanks for all of the replies. That's the kind of information I was hoping to get. I have an invitation from an avid fly fisherman to go with him and learn the basics. I'm sure I'll have numerous questions in the near future. Thanks again.
[signature]
just find a buddy dude! i will tell you right now, i am no where near an excellent fly fisher, but i am in love with it..... if it were a woman i would have married her years ago.... anyway, if nothing else i could always use a fly fishing partner, and i get back state side in 23 days so i plan on hitting the provo, green, ogden, and weber as often as possible to fish the turn! and for what its worth i can try to help out!
[signature]
Thanks for the offer, very kind.
[signature]
Great summary of needs.

I have one question though. You said:

Basic Line: Sinking for lakes when stripping buggers (Type I slow sinking, Type II intermediate, Type III fast), and floating for streams.

Is there suppose to be a comma after the TYPE II or do you have a different Intermediate? I mean I have Intermediate which is basically the same as my type I, but it is the Clear Camo. And I have a Type II that I love.
But there is Density Compensated and there is WET CELL. Both sinking lines in II, III, IV, etc. but they sink differently and have their own special uses.
[signature]
flygoddess-
I must have been tired (working night shift at the time), Type I is slow sinking and referred to as "intermediate" (1ft-2ft target zone). Type II (2ft-4ft target zone). Type III (3ft-7ft target zone). Type IV (10ft-20ft target zone). All sinking lines can reach deeper depths depending on allowed sinking time. (I am referring to Wet Cell lines). Just trying to give him some basics to begin with. [Wink] Clear Camo is a great line, I use it as well.

Anyways, it is best to go with someone who knows the ropes. It is the best way to learn. I was lucky enough to have a father and older brother who are masters of the fly. I have expounded on that knowledge through the years and experiences. Fly fishing is a sport that one can always learn and grow more in. Enjoy it!

-Rich
[signature]
With all the new lines out, I thought it was something I have missed.

you said: "Fly fishing is a sport that one can always learn and grow more in."

Absolutely, but in my opinion for what it is worth, it does require TIME. It is not one you can just pick up. You might catch fish flinging the line out there, but there is way more to it for consistency and being able to know what, when, where and how.
[signature]
Flygoddess-
Over that "time" one will learn and grow more in the sport. Just like everything else in life, it takes time to become proficient. No one expects to go out the first time and fish like someone who has fly-fished for twenty years. Did we not all start by just going out there and flinging a line? Of course we did. We didn't walk into the water the first time, and put the River Runs Through it to shame! We had to learn the basics first. Armed with those basics, a beginner can experience SUCCESS and learn to love the sport. With that love, will come the drive to learn more and improve. The entire "consistency" part comes with that experience. I have taught more people than I can remember how to fly fish. They start off with this notion that it is sooo difficult and they will never be able to learn how. I quickly bring to their realization that it is not difficult. It is very basic. People have tried to make this sport seem so difficult, that people are too intimidated to try and learn. This is Sad. This sport has brought such joy and wonderful memories to me throughout my entire life, that I hate thinking that someone else can't enjoy those same things. Sure, one can claim they have a PhD in flyfishing, but that is not what it requires. Just a rod, reel, fly, and a desire to catch fish!

Also, there is way too much emphasis on what type of gear you are using in this sport. Is it high end? This also keeps many beginners out of the water. A $2000-$3000 price tag just to start fly fishing would keep me from picking up the sport as well. I always loved outfishing those high end hacks with my trusty pflueger 8ft 5wt with a cheepo reel and cheepo line. Drove them nuts! lol! Not to say that technology doesn't improve the sport, just saying that it only takes you so far. You still have to know how to FISH!!

FISH ON!!!!!!

-Rich
[signature]

I am not sure what you are telling me, other than we both agree it takes TIME to learn to Fly Fish.

Totally agree you don't need high end gear. I will never say you do, as I will use my $14. Eagle Claw at times.

BUT, I do think you need GOOD gear. If it is too heavy, not balanced and BAD LINE, you are going to struggle more than needed. Struggle = dis-interest, and as you said "the belief it is harder than it looks."
Funny though, my first rod many years ago was very much like the Pflueger. I hated it! Made my arm tired, but with the Snake River as a back yard, I made due. Later in life, I got a Sage...OMG! This is easy!!![Wink] BUT! The Sage Rod and Reel were $200.
I totally agree with having a Teacher.
How do you think those you taught would have done if you hadn't showed them anything? IT IS difficult, if you have no idea what to do or anyone to show you ANYTHING.
I sold too many rods to people that slapped them around like windshield wipers. Those are the guys that continue to use the spinning outfit as they have a hard time with the FF gear.....but, heay! They have the gear.

One more thing on gear....Dental Floss and a POLE with a dry fly....deadly![cool] Cost.........Under $5. but that depends on the price of the fly...LOL
[signature]
I believe we have concluded that Fly Fishing takes time to master. [Wink]

I'm just trying to tell those people out there that haven't taken up the sport for this reason, or that....that it truly isn't as difficult as it comes across. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

A Sage rod and reel for $200? You got a steal! [laugh]

I'm not saying that you need BAD gear....just that you need....gear. Let's face it, you can make a roll cast with any rod and any line. Sure, you may not be able to make that 60yd dry fly presentation....but, you can roll cast a nymph rig 15 feet upstream and catch fish. Heck, my daughter did it when she was 2! lol! And continues to do it, although better, now that she is 6. [laugh]

FISH ON!!!!

-Rich
[signature]
2 weeks till i get there, well get some dates hammered down and well go fly fishing.... deal?

disclaimer

as stated earlier im no master at this at all... i know my basic casts, knots, flys, etc... but am always willing to help and find a new partner for here and there trips perhaps
[signature]
[quote richyd4u]I believe we have concluded that Fly Fishing takes time to master. [Wink]

I'm just trying to tell those people out there that haven't taken up the sport for this reason, or that....that it truly isn't as difficult as it comes across. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

A Sage rod and reel for $200? You got a steal! [laugh]

I'm not saying that you need BAD gear....just that you need....gear. Let's face it, you can make a roll cast with any rod and any line. Sure, you may not be able to make that 60yd dry fly presentation....but, you can roll cast a nymph rig 15 feet upstream and catch fish. Heck, my daughter did it when she was 2! lol! And continues to do it, although better, now that she is 6. [laugh]

FISH ON!!!!

-Rich
[/quote]

YOU CAN DO IT, but it really does take SOMEONE or SOMETHING to show you how, or YOU just are not going to get it.
I think anyone can do a roll cast and that is the cast I use 98% of the time...but, someone had to show me (MANY YEARS AGO)

Rods, yes my $14. Eagle Claw can roll cast, but it takes far more energy than any other rod I have. Same with that little 6' W.W.Griggs I have. For a little rod, it is a work out!
[signature]
YOU CAN DO IT, but it really does take SOMEONE or SOMETHING to show you how, or YOU just are not going to get it.
I think anyone can do a roll cast and that is the cast I use 98% of the time...but, someone had to show me (MANY YEARS AGO)

Rods, yes my $14. Eagle Claw can roll cast, but it takes far more energy than any other rod I have. Same with that little 6' W.W.Griggs I have. For a little rod, it is a work out![/quote]

Maybe that's why I have great upper-body strength, years of poor equipment and roll casting! [laugh]

I agree, you need hands-on training with somebody who knows fly fishing. No one is expected to go out alone on the first time, and knock them dead. It's the same as every other sport, one needs a coach.

"MANY YEARS AGO" huh.....exactly how many? (lol, I know I'm getting in hot water with that question!) [laugh]

-Rich
[signature]