Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many?
I am a pretty good judge of what new flies are going to be killer. Usually they are sort of VARIATIONS on flies that already work.
Problem I have, I tie usually for my Hubby and myself. If I know my Brother in-law will be join us, I tie for him as well.
But for just my hubby and myself, ON NEW PATTERNS, I think just tie one of each to find out, but then I think....the fish are going to love it and better have a back-up. SO, I tie at least four...and these are flies that have not proven them self yet. Then to top it off....different colors!
Long trips, I do pack my tying supplies, but on short trips, I don't want to be spending valuable time TYING!!!

How many of a new pattern do you tie for an outing?
[signature]
uuhhmmm how ever many you send me???

seriously though.. this last time in TN.. I was tying small foam beetles for the first time.. so I tied up like two of each color (black and brown).. then I thought .. well MacLArry will need some. so I did two more of each color so now we have four of each colors for a total of 8.. then I though.. well that little stream has a lot of weeds around it..and trees.. and if this thing works.. well .. two more of each color.. so by the time I got each color done I had four of each color each.. total.. 16.. and since I had my vise and materials out.. I tied up 8 more #12 wooly worms.. 4 each.. now put that on top of the three fly boxes I have with flies Ive purchased.. or had sent to me by FG and DR and others.. I usually carry quite a variety of flies with me.. but.. of course we all know that the one that is working is the one you only have two of .. and you lose one immediately and then spend the day kicking yourself in the butt saying why dont I have more of that fly .. in that color.. in that size .. that is working.. LOL

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]If I'm going to a new location, I'll check on-line as to what usually has been working and I'll tie up 3-6 flies. Sometimes I don't even use them as other flies get the front seat. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I really like the idea of tying flies on the spot if needed.
Sure I would ty fies home before the trip but I would
take my tying stuff with me just in case.............
I guess thats why I want to start tying flies[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
I used to take fly tying gear with me when camping ir such but found I never really used it so now it stays home. I usually have a few of each that I want and if it is one of my favorite ones that I use a lot I will have a dozen or more for in case I lose them[crazy] or they finally fall apart from being eaten too many times[Wink].
[signature]
I set out to tie 6 but some of it depends on how much material costs go into them and if I had any fun tying it.
MS
[signature]