Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its a Deer ! O'shoot I missed ! Darnit ! ! !
[center]every year I hear this story from hunters who saw the biggest rack they ever saw and missed,

well here is the lowdown on why they missed.

after overcomming the shock of seeing a buck let alone one with an enormous rack, their window of making a productive shot has passed in to the window of the shot of dispare. this shot is has a 98% miss probability and if you hit the deer at all you have a 99% chance of sevearly injuring the animal to the point were it may die weeks later.

this shot I am refering to is the fleeing shot.

I know I know every one is a marksman because the spent hundreds of hours and dollars buying the best product on the market and time on the range and can shoot a poker chip out of the beak of a crow at a hundred yards. Well that just may be. I am going to show you a picture of a deer and you tell me you have a kill target. and show me where it is. I am loading the pic twice, one to post here and one that is full size for arguements sake.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=104;]

now I wont say it is imposible to take a deer on a fleeing run, I am saying is you have better odds of hitting the lotto than you have of killing and taking home a chunck of meat.

now the story I would like to hear is I did not shoot cause I could not get a kill shot. (hopfuly it is a true story and the trigger was not pulled) It is important to know your limitations. I may be true your gun shoots as well as you say it dose, and it may also be true that you can shoot a poker chip out of a crow at a hundred yards. the fact of thematter is, I can too... [/center] [center]any imput?
[/center]
[signature]
no this picture is not misleading, infact it is the most realistinc veiw you will ever hope to see to show you just what it is you are looking at in the woods.

there are two deer in this picture, those of you who have seen a fleeing deer I am sure you reconized the second deer right off. for those of you who have not seen a fleeing deer or posibly were just in shock when you saw it this is what you saw.

two deer, one at a stance broawd side 75 feet away (left side of photo), the other only 20 feet away, that right 20 feet, It is fleeing from me, the second deer in this pic is on the right side of this photo, and resembles a leaning mail box on the side of the road where this photo was taken.

this target is why I say dont shoot, your windo of a good kill will only be when the rear of the head is raised above the deers shoulders, and the posibilities of where the head is going to come up is like hitting calling the balls as they fall out of the lotto machein. you just dont know. your target at this piont is between 2 inches wide on the neck area to 4 inches wide on the scull and is moving at a clip of 20-30+ miles per hour. shooting in to the rear end of this animal even with a high powered rifle the shot is most likly to be sheared off by the hip bone in to any direction posibly endangering unknowingly other hunters in the woods.

this same deer on the same run going braud side as the deer standing still on the left provides a better shot even though it is moving at top speeds. this target is 20 times larger than the one fleeing. you now have an entire chest area to make a clean kill, even if the deer is at a full run his head will be lowered and less bobbing giving you even a greater posibility of hitting your target.
[signature]
good info dave , i myself have learned this valuable lesson that applies to both gun and bow . i was tought this at a vert young age by my dad .

you shoot it , you eat it . ( first daisey b b gun )

wait untill it stops moving and then take the shot . or i'll leave you in the woods untill you drag it out . ( first bow and arrow )

you make sure you know what your shooting at , there are no accidental shootings . you hit someone and i'll put you in jail myself . ( that one was on the way to pick up my first .22 , i decided against it . )

you might think dad was a little tough , but all the lessons i have learned from him have kept me out of serious trouble . there are thoes lessons that he did leave me to learn on my own as everyone does . the important ones thou , he gave me the best guidance availible to a kid who thought he knew it all .
[signature]